Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m a big Holiday fan so I don’t think it’s that bad. However, if we believe Fultz really can return to form, I’d stay the course and not make that trade.

That'd be a terrible trade. 

Cousins was traded for filler, hield, a first and a second. 

Butler and the 16th pick was traded for Lavine, Dunn, and the 7th pick. Butler was traded again for Covington and saric. 

Mike Conley was available for Exum, an expiring contract, and a first round pick. 

Tobias Harris was traded for a lotto protected pick and Miami's 2021 pick. 

I can understand trading Bamba, Fournier, and our pick for holiday. 

I can understand trading Mozgov, our pick, and a future heavily protected pick for holiday. 

It doesn't make sense to trade effectively two firsts, a second, last year's number 6 pick entering year two of a rookie contract, and an expiring contract for holiday. That's "Paul George just asked to be traded from OKC" level assets. Holiday is good. He's not a second tier franchise player. He's probably going to be on the other side of his prime soon and he's being paid for the next 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That'd be a terrible trade. 

Cousins was traded for filler, hield, a first and a second. 

Butler and the 16th pick was traded for Lavine, Dunn, and the 7th pick. Butler was traded again for Covington and saric. 

Mike Conley was available for Exum, an expiring contract, and a first round pick. 

Tobias Harris was traded for a lotto protected pick and Miami's 2021 pick. 

I can understand trading Bamba, Fournier, and our pick for holiday. 

I can understand trading Mozgov, our pick, and a future heavily protected pick for holiday. 

It doesn't make sense to trade effectively two firsts, a second, last year's number 6 pick entering year two of a rookie contract, and an expiring contract for holiday. That's "Paul George just asked to be traded from OKC" level assets. Holiday is good. He's not a second tier franchise player. He's probably going to be on the other side of his prime soon and he's being paid for the next 3 years. 

You can understatnd trading Bamba, Fournier, and our pick for Holiday?  Are you insane?  Why are people so quick to give up on Bamba's potential?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

How would you guys rank the NBA point guards? I think I’d go:

1. Curry 

2. Lillard

3. Harden

4. Irving

5. Westbrook 

6. Walker

7. Holiday 

Here’s an interesting look:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/WINS/position/1

I enjoy watching Lillard way more than Harden but Harden is clearly better

5 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I understand it's unlikely sometimes FA is just weird. What were the circumstances for landing Lewis? 

Off of memory how often does a better than average talent pick a team/city like ours?

The circumstances for landing Lewis were Seattle going into rebuild mode and we positioned ourselves as the best team with the cap space to pay him and Dwight had just positioned himself as an all star.  

Guys will come here when we either overpay them or can put them in the best situation for them. 

So with Klay we won't even get a meeting with him. There's no reason for him to want to come here. 

With kemba, we could probably get a meeting (he trains here and we have his old coach so there's a relationship) but we wouldn't be a better situation than going home to New York to play 20 blocks from your childhood home with Kevin Durant. Or going to Los Angeles to play with a Hall of Famer when you've spent your entire career carrying your team. 

We can probably get Jimmy Butler if we really want to as teams are hesitant to max him. 

But it's more likely that we're going to take a patient approach. 

11 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

You can understatnd trading Bamba, Fournier, and our pick for Holiday?  Are you insane?  Why are people so quick to give up on Bamba's potential?  

From a value standpoint it'd be a fair trade. I don't want to trade Bamba but if we did that's reasonable return based on the other trades I referenced. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

From a value standpoint it'd be a fair trade. I don't want to trade Bamba but if we did that's reasonable return based on the other trades I referenced. 

I understand your perspective but I am just not excited about a 28 yo Jrue Holiday as our answer.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The circumstances for landing Lewis were Seattle going into rebuild mode and we positioned ourselves as the best team with the cap space to pay him and Dwight had just positioned himself as an all star.  

Guys will come here when we either overpay them or can put them in the best situation for them. 

So with Klay we won't even get a meeting with him. There's no reason for him to want to come here. 

With kemba, we could probably get a meeting (he trains here and we have his old coach so there's a relationship) but we wouldn't be a better situation than going home to New York to play 20 blocks from your childhood home with Kevin Durant. Or going to Los Angeles to play with a Hall of Famer when you've spent your entire career carrying your team. 

We can probably get Jimmy Butler if we really want to as teams are hesitant to max him. 

But it's more likely that we're going to take a patient approach. 

Fair enough. I'm fine with were we are and definently don't want any parts of Butler. Klay is just the type of guy that is a perfect fit and would certainly keep us as competitors in the East for years to come. Sucks the timing isn't right.  

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Fair enough. I'm fine with were we are and definently don't want any parts of Butler. Klay is just the type of guy that is a perfect fit and would certainly keep us as competitors in the East for years to come. Sucks the timing isn't right.  

Forget about FA's this year...next year is another story.  But as I look at mock drafts this year and see a possible real steal and even though I do not think this will happen, IF he is still around and I doubt it I would love to hear......and with the 16th pick in the 2019 NBA draft the Orlando Magic select Bol Bol. (assuming he passes long term injury concerns).

16 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

When Grant Hill was coming here we positioned ourselves as the only team with cap space. McGrady wanted to come here because he wanted to be closer to home because he was born in Central Florida. Duncan was interested in playing with Hill. And again it's because we made it a two team race. 

There's no reason to expect anyone to want to come here right now unless we want to overpay Jimmy Butler or something like that. 

I saw your posts about Jimmy Butler earlier today on twitter, I have to say I would be intrigued. I think he could ultimately bring out the best in our young guys since he can push them. He couldnt do this in MN, but that was because he was working with Wiggins and an incompetent franchise. I think him in Orlando could be good, if we clear enough cap space for him.

Just now, andrew2018022 said:

I saw your posts about Jimmy Butler earlier today on twitter, I have to say I would be intrigued. I think he could ultimately bring out the best in our young guys since he can push them. He couldnt do this in MN, but that was because he was working with Wiggins and an incompetent franchise. I think him in Orlando could be good, if we clear enough cap space for him.

The thing with Butler is he's a reasonable target because teams don't want to max him. So we could draw interest by maxing him. He fits our needs and style of play. So if we wanted him we could probably get him. 

But it requires a significant financial commitment for a guy who had issues with every team he's been on. There's a reason why teams don't want to max him. It might be a terrible idea. 

But if we're looking for the easiest path to obtaining a top 20 player that fits our general philosophy this is probably it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The thing with Butler is he's a reasonable target because teams don't want to max him. So we could draw interest by maxing him. He fits our needs and style of play. So if we wanted him we could probably get him. 

But it requires a significant financial commitment for a guy who had issues with every team he's been on. There's a reason why teams don't want to max him. It might be a terrible idea. 

But if we're looking for the easiest path to obtaining a top 20 player that fits our general philosophy this is probably it. 

I think he only has issues with young guys that aren't willing to put in the work as an NBA player. In Chicago, that whole locker room was a mess. Hoidberg was a lame duck, Rondo and Wade were pissed off, and Jimmy sided with the vets. 

In Minnesota, he was a problem because Wiggins has a poor work ethic, and KAT wasn't a good defender. Jimmy thought they were soft, and he wanted out, since Minnesota didn't want to give him a max. People forget that that Wolves team was top 4 in the west before Butler got hurt (which in itself is more of a concern for me than his locker room issues).

In Orlando, he'd be given an extremely young team that fits the way he wants young guys to play. AG, Isaac, and Wes have all shown that they're willing to work on defense, which is what Jimmy wants. And guys like Bamba (who has been rumored to have a low motor) and Fultz could learn a lot from him. 

• Upvote 1