Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

20 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not really me being pessimistic. It's just the situation we find ourselves in. We have several young guys that need to step up. We ran our offense through a center that doesn't fit our long term philosophy or really today's game. 

Fournier isn't bad enough that there's an easy upgrade. He's not good enough to be enticing on his contract with a pick. There's not a great market of upgrades. Not a ton of good shooting good defending starting shooting guards out there. 

Augustin is good enough to be a fringe starter but not good enough that he'll push Fultz off the court. We'll keep him as a placeholder until we figure out what Fultz is. 

I don't think we trade for fillers. I think we sign fillers in free agency. 

I'm not sure what you're expecting but I think you need to be prepared for this to basically be the team going in to next year. The core is Isaac Gordon Bamba Fultz with Augustin, Fournier, Ross or a Ross analog, and iwundu as complimentary pieces. 

We need to lower our floor a bit to raise our ceiling. The easiest way to improve next year is to bring vucevic back, upgrade iwundu's spot, and have a stable roster but that limits our future. But we'll be better long term if we don't do the dumb thing and overpay for guys who don't help us long term. 

Move Fournier next summer when his contract is more tradable and our pick has more value. Make more long term choices when we have a better idea what the young guys can do. 

We will see.  Are you confident they won't resign Vuch?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

We will see.  Are you confident they won't resign Vuch?

Yeah. 

But I was confident that we'd trade vucevic after we signed Biyombo so what do I know. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

Why do so many people keep thinking Fournier comes off the books when Mosgov does.

Because I didn't realize he had a player option.

13 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. 

But I was confident that we'd trade vucevic after we signed Biyombo so what do I know. 

Ok.  So I’ll rephrase my original question.  When do you think the decision regarding Vuch is announced?  Because I think that decision alone has a significant impact on what the team looks like next season. 

One follow up to that.  If Vuch isn’t re-signed, and Bamba isn’t ready to start (I don’t think he is), what kind of player do we fill the gap with?

• Downvote 1

All of this essentially means they could still feasibly agree to terms with a free agent like Vucevic before offering Porzingis his massive contract. The most Vucevic can earn is a four-year max worth $140.6 million based on his service time with a hit of $32.7 million this offseason.

They could offer Vucevic the full max without Finney-Smith, Kleber and a draft pick or up to $22.6 million with the two players and the No. 4 overall selection on the books. Those variables would change depending on lottery ping pong balls and their interest in those two players mentioned above, but the most realistic figure would be $28.8 million.

After a relatively subpar performance in the playoffs, perhaps the Eastern Conference All-Star would accept a lesser deal to be with the Mavericks – especially after the upside shown by Doncic.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/27/dallas-mavericks-nikola-vucevic-kristaps-porzingis-luka-doncic/

The thought of someone offering Vooch a max contract makes me lol

16 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Thank you.....I have been waiting for that clarification...Fournier comes off in two more years due to a player option after next year which I am sure he will exercise.  If we do not resign Vuc and Ross  we free up a lot of cash, hopefully look at 1 year deals only and wait for Mozgov and Augustine's money to come off (17 + 7 million) next year which should put us at  FA max money.  If we cannot sign someone we want then, continue to use one year deals until Fournier  ($17 million) comes off the following year.  As ?4TheWin states, develop this team and see what we have and then spend appropriately.  My belief is we will like what we have and not have to add much but will be in a financial position to be a player.  Big question after that is will we be in a financial situation to pay those on the rookie scale what it requires if it means going over the luxury tax?  That would be a good problem to have.

What if Fournier joins the Hair Club for Men. With the bald spots gone and his confidence sky high he has a career year. The Magic win 50 games and he decides to decline his player option. It's possible right?

To be serious i just want to move on from Vucevic. If we can't  move forward with Bamba, Birch, random free agent center then they should really think about trading Bamba. I do not want that to happen, so please god i hope the Mavericks or someone throws huge money at him.

57 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Ok.  So I’ll rephrase my original question.  When do you think the decision regarding Vuch is announced?  Because I think that decision alone has a significant impact on what the team looks like next season. 

One follow up to that.  If Vuch isn’t re-signed, and Bamba isn’t ready to start (I don’t think he is), what kind of player do we fill the gap with?

I don't think it's ever going to be announced. He'll just end up on another team. 

Someone with these qualities:

-athletic

-good screener

-rim protection

Basically we want to create a style of play first to get everyone used to playing a specific way then incorporate Bamba into that when he's capable (which could be day 1 or never). 

7 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

What if Fournier joins the Hair Club for Men. With the bald spots gone and his confidence sky high he has a career year. The Magic win 50 games and he decides to decline his player option. It's possible right?

To be serious i just want to move on from Vucevic. If we can't  move forward with Bamba, Birch, random free agent center then they should really think about trading Bamba. I do not want that to happen, so please god i hope the Mavericks or someone throws huge money at him.

We're not at the point yet where we need to consider trading Bamba. That's a conversation for 20 months from now. 

• Downvote 1

I've gotta say that last weekend was the best weekend for Television and Cinema in the history of this planet.  Avengers: Endgame and The Battle Winterfell(Game of Thrones).  Basketball is part of television!! Not off topic!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think it's ever going to be announced. He'll just end up on another team. 

Someone with these qualities:

-athletic

-good screener

-rim protection

Basically we want to create a style of play first to get everyone used to playing a specific way then incorporate Bamba into that when he's capable (which could be day 1 or never). 

Yeah, I can’t think of an example where a team with a good relationship with a player ever came out and said “we’re not re-signing ‘so and so’”. We’ll just see a tweet some time in July that’ll say Vucevic signs with this team for this amount