Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

12 minutes ago, The Boss said:

I think I'd rather bring back Briscoe than MCW. Loved what MCW brought but his shooting is brutal, at least Briscoe has potential there. 

There's a lot of things to think about here. 

Finding a defender like MCW is tough. And for a third string point guard it might make more sense to have a specialized guy like him. 

But briscoe is young and improved at an encouraging rate. There's also a valid argument that every end of bench guy should be a developmental guy. 

But we have our developmental point guard in Fultz. Do you really need to develop a backup?

But are you going to use MCW as a 12th man situational guy enough to take advantage of his defense vs having a more well rounded player?

There's kind of an argument for either side. Maybe we keep both. Maybe we find a better option and keep neither. 

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We probably won't improve much next year. The young guys will get better. We'll have a less flawed rotation without having to deal with jerian Grant. We'll probably have a bit more depth. 

We have to figure out what Fultz provides. 

We'll have to work our way through a new style of play.

We had an outlier level healthy season. 

If we had Isaac and iwundu playing like they played the last half of the year and MCW playing the whole year instead of Grant we're probably a 48 win team. 

I think next year we're probably a 38ish win team. If Fultz can't play we'll make a mid season move to help things. 

If we are unlucky with health instead of an average health season we could be a 29 win team. 

If Fultz is as good as he could be and Bamba is nothing more than a great deterrent at the rim this could be a 50 win team. 

But I think we're probably in the 38 win ballpark with what I expect to happen. 

I mean that’s kind of a pessimistic and very conservative outlook.  You’re assuming we stay with Augustine and Fournier as starters, and that we only trade for fillers?  

I hope the management team might be thinking about doing more. 

25 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I mean that’s kind of a pessimistic and very conservative outlook.  You’re assuming we stay with Augustine and Fournier as starters, and that we only trade for fillers?  

I hope the management team might be thinking about doing more. 

It's not really me being pessimistic. It's just the situation we find ourselves in. We have several young guys that need to step up. We ran our offense through a center that doesn't fit our long term philosophy or really today's game. 

Fournier isn't bad enough that there's an easy upgrade. He's not good enough to be enticing on his contract with a pick. There's not a great market of upgrades. Not a ton of good shooting good defending starting shooting guards out there. 

Augustin is good enough to be a fringe starter but not good enough that he'll push Fultz off the court. We'll keep him as a placeholder until we figure out what Fultz is. 

I don't think we trade for fillers. I think we sign fillers in free agency. 

I'm not sure what you're expecting but I think you need to be prepared for this to basically be the team going in to next year. The core is Isaac Gordon Bamba Fultz with Augustin, Fournier, Ross or a Ross analog, and iwundu as complimentary pieces. 

We need to lower our floor a bit to raise our ceiling. The easiest way to improve next year is to bring vucevic back, upgrade iwundu's spot, and have a stable roster but that limits our future. But we'll be better long term if we don't do the dumb thing and overpay for guys who don't help us long term. 

Move Fournier next summer when his contract is more tradable and our pick has more value. Make more long term choices when we have a better idea what the young guys can do. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, Mauro Pedrosa said:

If Bamba doesn't like basketball that much, he should become a politician. His pre-draft interviews made it look like he wanted to be the next Hakeem Olajuwon

--

And please, for the love of God, let these kids grow with heavy minutes. Isaac and Gordon have exciting potential, but they're still raw as hell and need reps and responsibility. I can't stress this enough

Haven't gone through the rest of this thread yet, but I agree with this.

At this point, as happy as I am about the playoff berth and the game 1 win, and as much as I would love to see this team make playoffs next year, as of this moment (and it could change), I am of the mind that playoffs are not our top priority next year. Our top priority is to play our new young core, and see what we have with them and what they are made of.

4 of our starting 5 need to be Bamba, Gordon, Isaac, and Fultz and see how they play together and how they gel. That is our core going forward. It's time to let them develop.

How Vuc, Fournier, and Ross will end up playing into that core, we can get that figured out. But we need to be playing our core 4, letting them develop, and playing supporting guys like Vuc, Fournier, Ross, and Augustin around them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not as in the know about all the contract deets as some of y'all, so I will concede any details I may be off on to others.

Far as I know, Vuc and Ross are both in contract years that have now expired. Fournier has 1 season left at $17 mill before he's off the books. He comes off the books the same year as Mozgov. Not sure when Augustin is off the books. I think the same year? And he's about $10 mill I think?

Here's what I'd tentatively like to see:

C - Bamba

PF - Gordon

SF - Isaac

SG - Fournier*

PG - Fultz

Bench - Ross, Augustin, Iwundu, Birch, Carter-Williams

Let Vuc walk. I am not as anti-Vuc as most of the community here. I like him. But I also know that he is what he is, and keeping him around prohibits us from getting improved players down the line. Let him walk, and start Bamba with Birch coming off the bench at the 5.

*Fournier starts at SG by default. Simply because he's here, and his combination of production and contract make him very difficult to offload. It might be best to just keep him and let him, Mozgov, and Augustin all expire at once, clearing out our cap space when we can finally make at move in FA.

At that point, we put our FA focus on the 2 guard spot. Try to get a premiere player that can create his own shot and draw the attention from opposing defenses. Isaac, Gordon, Bamba, and Fultz will all be good enough to be able to play supporting roles to our new #1 option.

Not sure exactly what Ross' salary situation is. I like Ross, I actually like him a lot. But he's another guy that's kinda like Vuc. He's a solid piece, but he is what he is. I think he's good to have in the rotation, but not if keeping him around would hinder us from improving the roster going forward. So imo, Ross' spot on this roster is dependent entirely on how his salary hit would limit us moving forward.

I like our core. I'm excited to see them grow and develop together. I think this core can turn into a strong playoff core. But we gotta do something about that 2 guard spot if we wanna become a Boston / Philadelphia caliber playoff team.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:19 AM, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

If that would happen I would host and pay for a happy hour for everyone on this board in Orlando!

You paying for my flight from California too?? lol

On 4/27/2019 at 8:48 AM, All Eyes On Me said:

No matter what happens with Vooch or Birch, I don’t think Mozgov will ever see the floor in a Magic jersey. I think we just keep him one more year and let him walk as a FA. No point in stretching him and paying him 5 mill a year for the next 3 unless saving that 11 mill this year gets us someone like Kemba, but so many other unlikely things have to happen as well for that to even be a possibility.

This is why I hope we just let Mozgov ride out this year. I think just eating his $16 million this year and letting it come off the books is far better for us than stretching him.

We aren't gonna be major players this year in FA anyways. Let's spend this off season and next clearing our books of guys like Mozgov, Fournier, and Augustin, and getting some heavy dollars open up to play with in a couple years.

19 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not really me being pessimistic. It's just the situation we find ourselves in. We have several young guys that need to step up. We ran our offense through a center that doesn't fit our long term philosophy or really today's game. 

Fournier isn't bad enough that there's an easy upgrade. He's not good enough to be enticing on his contract with a pick. There's not a great market of upgrades. Not a ton of good shooting good defending starting shooting guards out there. 

Augustin is good enough to be a fringe starter but not good enough that he'll push Fultz off the court. We'll keep him as a placeholder until we figure out what Fultz is. 

I don't think we trade for fillers. I think we sign fillers in free agency. 

I'm not sure what you're expecting but I think you need to be prepared for this to basically be the team going in to next year. The core is Isaac Gordon Bamba Fultz with Augustin, Fournier, Ross or a Ross analog, and iwundu as complimentary pieces. 

We need to lower our floor a bit to raise our ceiling. The easiest way to improve next year is to bring vucevic back, upgrade iwundu's spot, and have a stable roster but that limits our future. But we'll be better long term if we don't do the dumb thing and overpay for guys who don't help us long term. 

Move Fournier next summer when his contract is more tradable and our pick has more value. Make more long term choices when we have a better idea what the young guys can do. 

Not often that I find myself agreeing with you, but this is one of those times.

17 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Why do so many people keep thinking Fournier comes off the books when Mosgov does.

Thank you.....I have been waiting for that clarification...Fournier comes off in two more years due to a player option after next year which I am sure he will exercise.  If we do not resign Vuc and Ross  we free up a lot of cash, hopefully look at 1 year deals only and wait for Mozgov and Augustine's money to come off (17 + 7 million) next year which should put us at  FA max money.  If we cannot sign someone we want then, continue to use one year deals until Fournier  ($17 million) comes off the following year.  As ?4TheWin states, develop this team and see what we have and then spend appropriately.  My belief is we will like what we have and not have to add much but will be in a financial position to be a player.  Big question after that is will we be in a financial situation to pay those on the rookie scale what it requires if it means going over the luxury tax?  That would be a good problem to have.