Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

9 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

The last statement is very easy to make when you do not have the money to chase big time free agents.  That last comment is perfect for our current scenario in which we are trying to resign two good players but not All Star players.  I will be more interested to see what Weltman says/does when he does have the money  (in a year or two) to chase a big time All Star, all NBA type  player.  If it is the philosophy above we will probably just remain a small market team with some good years (who we draft develops before some of them leave) with only minimal impact.  I will give them the benefit of the doubt since this FO has been favorable and hope that philosophy/attitude changes when we have the money.

I have no doubt this organization will spend whatever they need for a multiple all-star, all NBA type player.  Just look at the last time we were in that position when we might have overpaid for Rashard Lewis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

The last statement is very easy to make when you do not have the money to chase big time free agents.  That last comment is perfect for our current scenario in which we are trying to resign two good players but not All Star players.  I will be more interested to see what Weltman says/does when he does have the money  (in a year or two) to chase a big time All Star, all NBA type  player.  If it is the philosophy above we will probably just remain a small market team with some good years (who we draft develops before some of them leave) with only minimal impact.  I will give them the benefit of the doubt since this FO has been favorable and hope that philosophy/attitude changes when we have the money.

I think you're reading it wrong. I think they're coming up with an excuse to low ball vucevic. 

Also we're not really a small market team anymore. We're mid level. We're not Dallas or Philly but we're also 250% bigger than Memphis, new Orleans, or Oklahoma City. And that's just considering the defined Orlando market. Our territory extends further than that and doesn't overlap with another NBA team's market. So where Indianapolis and Chicago are only 180 miles apart and the northeastern teams are all within the same space We're 240 miles away from Miami and 440 miles from the next closest NBA team, Atlanta. 

We've carved out a huge chunk of real estate in the third most populous State in the United States (the lastest estimates have us taking that spot from New York). 

That's kind of why tanking doesn't make sense anymore from a business perspective. We could be cultivating a fan base the size of Dallas, Houston, or San Fransisco but instead we're stuck where we're at because we lacked a reason for any casual fan to watch for 6 years

32 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think you're reading it wrong. I think they're coming up with an excuse to low ball vucevic. 

I think you are right but more importantly I hope you are right.  I totally agree with low balling Vuc.

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also we're not really a small market team anymore. We're mid level. We're not Dallas or Philly but we're also 250% bigger than Memphis, new Orleans, or Oklahoma City. And that's just considering the defined Orlando market. Our territory extends further than that and doesn't overlap with another NBA team's market. So where Indianapolis and Chicago are only 180 miles apart and the northeastern teams are all within the same space We're 240 miles away from Miami and 440 miles from the next closest NBA team, Atlanta. 

We've carved out a huge chunk of real estate in the third most populous State in the United States (the lastest estimates have us taking that spot from New York). 

That's kind of why tanking doesn't make sense anymore from a business perspective. We could be cultivating a fan base the size of Dallas, Houston, or San Fransisco but instead we're stuck where we're at because we lacked a reason for any casual fan to watch for 6 years

First I am glad I am not a casual fan even when times are not so good (glad we are not the Lakers right now...ha ha).  Hopefully cultivating that fan base will be easier with winning which can translate into dollars that will make chasing an FA or two or extending contracts to your good players an easier decision to make.  

1 hour ago, IrishCelticHater said:

Do you guys think what happens with Vuc and Khem will have an impact on what we do with the Mozgov albatross? Stretch or use him for depth? 

No matter what happens with Vooch or Birch, I don’t think Mozgov will ever see the floor in a Magic jersey. I think we just keep him one more year and let him walk as a FA. No point in stretching him and paying him 5 mill a year for the next 3 unless saving that 11 mill this year gets us someone like Kemba, but so many other unlikely things have to happen as well for that to even be a possibility.

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'd argue the basic framework basically already exists. 

We're gonna have a 9 or 10 man rotation. Augustin, Fournier, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba, Fultz or MCW or similar backup, iwundu makes 7 of the 9 or 10 spots. If we resign Ross and vucevic they'll be in those spots or we'll replace them with a lesser shooter in regards to Ross and a free agent center that can fill a gap like Robin Lopez. 

If that’s the case we probably won’t improve much next year.  A few points:

1.  I’m not sure DJ is starting at PG for us next year.  I kind of hope not.  

2.  Unclear what Fultz will provide.  

3.  Unclear what Bamba will provide, and Bamba also hinges greatly on what they do with Vuch.  

4.  The Vuch decision itself is a major decision point with the team going in different directions depending on what they decide.  Will the offense next season be run through Vuch again?

5.  I’m hoping they try to obtain another shooter or two.  

6.   Are you ruling out any significant trade?  Are we keeping Fournier for sure, and will he start?

There are other issues also.  I think, and hope, that you’re minimizing the impact that this summer might have on the team.  

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'd argue the basic framework basically already exists. 

We're gonna have a 9 or 10 man rotation. Augustin, Fournier, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba, Fultz or MCW or similar backup, iwundu makes 7 of the 9 or 10 spots. If we resign Ross and vucevic they'll be in those spots or we'll replace them with a lesser shooter in regards to Ross and a free agent center that can fill a gap like Robin Lopez. 

With the way Briscoe played I was hoping we would be able to bring back on the roster.

14 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

With the way Briscoe played I was hoping we would be able to bring back on the roster.

I think the only way a player like Briscoe or MCW even matter to us next year is if Fultz is just completely done. They're so meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I rather focus on bringing in some bench scoring and/or a big man depending on what we do with Vuch.  

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

If that’s the case we probably won’t improve much next year.  A few points:

1.  I’m not sure DJ is starting at PG for us next year.  I kind of hope not.  

2.  Unclear what Fultz will provide.  

3.  Unclear what Bamba will provide, and Bamba also hinges greatly on what they do with Vuch.  

4.  The Vuch decision itself is a major decision point with the team going in different directions depending on what they decide.  Will the offense next season be run through Vuch again?

5.  I’m hoping they try to obtain another shooter or two.  

6.   Are you ruling out any significant trade?  Are we keeping Fournier for sure, and will he start?

There are other issues also.  I think, and hope, that you’re minimizing the impact that this summer might have on the team.  

We probably won't improve much next year. The young guys will get better. We'll have a less flawed rotation without having to deal with jerian Grant. We'll probably have a bit more depth. 

We have to figure out what Fultz provides. 

We'll have to work our way through a new style of play.

We had an outlier level healthy season. 

If we had Isaac and iwundu playing like they played the last half of the year and MCW playing the whole year instead of Grant we're probably a 48 win team. 

I think next year we're probably a 38ish win team. If Fultz can't play we'll make a mid season move to help things. 

If we are unlucky with health instead of an average health season we could be a 29 win team. 

If Fultz is as good as he could be and Bamba is nothing more than a great deterrent at the rim this could be a 50 win team. 

But I think we're probably in the 38 win ballpark with what I expect to happen. 

I think I'd rather bring back Briscoe than MCW. Loved what MCW brought but his shooting is brutal, at least Briscoe has potential there.