Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic Vs. Raptors - Sunday, April 21st at 7:00 P.M.

Just now, ChuckTaylor626 said:

So...we are looking for guys who can only shoot the 3 or cut to the basket, and play decent defense? Dang, I must be old school.  I can see a team like ours having to resort to that style because we don't have a legitimate superstar who can create on their own. Next year, when hopefully Fultz is healthy, is he going to be the guy who drives and kicks it out?

I feel like there's some disconnect here between us. Drive and kicks to open players aren't some new philosophy. It's been a part of every team's philosophy for 40 years. Just instead of that being paired with 60% post ups it's changed to pick and roll based basketball where guys are shooting high numbers of threes instead of taking two dribbles to the elbow. 

25 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Hey, hold on Thelm! I posted right AFTER  Vuc was named an Allstar, for everyone to beware that  Vuc's performance before the Allstar break was merely an  attempt by him to be named an Allstar. I said it was fools' gold and that he would come back down to earth.

Sorry i missed it.  But much respect to you:)

I keep reading a number of posts where some of you guys are pinning your hopes on Fultz coming in and making a difference right out of the box. 

I follow college and professional football/basketball. What I have learned is that some guys, who performed well in high school or college, did not pan out on the next level. I can name a few athletes that fell into that category, but I don't feel like getting into a sparring match with anyone. I think some of you know what I am talking about.

By the way, athletes coming out of college (or high school) may look great at that level, but it depends on the schools (or division) they were playing. 

Edit: Vince Carter is one of the exceptions. He is from my hometown. He was a star at Mainland High School and the University of North Carolina. And remember he was an Allstar in Toronto.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

Sorry i missed it.  But much respect to you:)

Not to worry.  There are so many threads and posts and some times you don't have time to  go back and catch up on comments  previously made.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone in that assessment.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I keep reading a number of posts where some of you guys are pinning your hopes on Fultz coming in and making a difference right out of the box. 

I follow college and professional football/basketball. What I have learned is that some guys, who performed well in high school or college, did not pan out on the next level. I can name a few athletes that fell into that category, but I don't feel like getting into a sparring match with anyone. I think some of you know what I am talking about.

By the way, athletes coming out of college (or high school) may look great at that level, but it depends on the schools (or division) they were playing.  

We’ve never seen Fultz at a full bill of health in the NBA, though. It’s possible he’s not good, but we don’t know that until he’s healthy. It’s the equivalent of calling a NFL running back a bust when he tore an ACL his rookie year.

Next season is about finding out who Fultz and Bamba are. Hopefully they’re good and we fight for the playoffs. If not, we’ll have to reset a little bit 

26 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

It's not just us, our FO traded a first round pick and locked 10M dollars into him next year. 

36 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

It's not just us, our FO traded a first round pick and locked 10M dollars into him next year. 

Tank, I see what you're saying about the trade and the money.  Maybe I'm reading the excitement for Fultz by posters the wrong way. I don't see anyone saying  "It is without a doubt," Fultz is going to make a difference (if healthy).

He might turn out to be a Trevor Ariza. . .remember the foot problem? Although Trevor turned out to be a 3 pt. sharp shooter on other teams and a good defender with the Houston Rockets. But with his persistent foot problems, the front office didn't want to wait for him to heal, so they traded him.

43 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Edit: Vince Carter is one of the exceptions. He is from my hometown. He was a star at Mainland High School and the University of North Carolina. And remember he was an Allstar in Toronto.

The Fultz optimism isn't coming from his college or high school tape, it's coming from what he's done in Philly. He's already shown the ability to defend and an explosive first step to get by a defender and draw help defense while also possessing the vision to find guys in traffic. 

So while we have no idea what his ceiling is, there's no reason he shouldn't at least be a better MCW

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

30 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

We’ve never seen Fultz at a full bill of health in the NBA, though. It’s possible he’s not good, but we don’t know that until he’s healthy. It’s the equivalent of calling a NFL running back a bust when he tore an ACL his rookie year.

Next season is about finding out who Fultz and Bamba are. Hopefully they’re good and we fight for the playoffs. If not, we’ll have to reset a little bit 

30 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

Most years there are 2-4 players that are in the discussion for the #1 pick, and frequently the final choice is determined by the needs of the team choosing first. As most of us will recall, Dwight was not the consensus pick, a lot of scouts and front offices thought that Emeka Okafur was the smart choice. It is fairly rare for there to be a consensus for the #1 pick. This year there is a pretty clear consensus that Zion will be that player. A few years ago, the consensus was Markelle Fultz; and while he has note been able to show the full promise of his game due to health; it is fairly unlikely that that many scouts and front offices could be that completely wrong. As ?4TW just pointed out, many of his abilities have been on display already, it is just his shooting that has suffered the most. Also, I think playing behind Ben Simmons was stunting his growth and damaging to his psychology. I think, given a little time to heal and acclimate, he may make Philly regret giving him up as much or more than we regret giving up Oladipo. 

11 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Tank, I see what you're saying about the trade and the money.  Maybe I'm reading the excitement for Fultz by posters the wrong way. I don't see anyone saying  "It is without a doubt," Fultz is going to make a difference (if healthy).

He might turn out to be a Trevor Ariza. . .remember the foot problem? Although Trevor turned out to be a 3 pt. sharp shooter on other teams and a good defender with the Houston Rockets. But with his persistent foot problems, the front office didn't want to wait for him to heal, so they traded him.

We didn't trade Ariza because of his foot. We traded Ariza because he was out of the rotation, couldn't play shooting guard, and couldn't shoot. He was exclusively a backup 4 back when stars played 38mpg so he had no time behind Lewis. We needed shooting guard depth behind bogans because JJ wasn't ready to play and dooling struggled against size. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I feel like there's some disconnect here between us. Drive and kicks to open players aren't some new philosophy. It's been a part of every team's philosophy for 40 years. Just instead of that being paired with 60% post ups it's changed to pick and roll based basketball where guys are shooting high numbers of threes instead of taking two dribbles to the elbow. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain. The disconnect is on my end. I never played organized basketball, so sometimes I have a hard time understanding what is going on. Sorry about that. :-)

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I think your post is wise to temper our hopes for Fultz being the savior next year.  But I do think it is possible and  an exciting time to look forward to.  As much as we can focus on Vuc and his non All Star play in this series  against Toronto it is our guard play that has been abysmal.  Fultz can potentially fill our biggest need (PG) or our second biggest need (SG).  As you mention, and there are many examples, he may not.  But the reward vs risk is what spring hope eternal.  I am of the belief that Philly gave up on him too soon (probably because they got Butler, had Simmons and Redick and Embiid and that due to his injury Fultz became expendable) and with time ( could be this year or next) he will be Philly's "Laker mistake" and our "DeAngelo Russell" addition.  Fultz in college was better than Russell. both were one and done's, both struggled initially and both had injuries that they had to overcome, and both had/have second chances, and both had/have something to prove.  What it boils down to is inner character, drive, whatever you wish to call it assuming it is not the injury.  From what I have read I do not it is the injury, Fultzs character and drive is good and I hope I am  proved right.  My belief is that, because os his skillset,  he will either become an All Star or his injury will kill his career.  Obviously hoping for the former not the latter.