Sign in to follow this  
Jay Magic

2019 NBA Playoff Thread

On 5/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, ?4thewin said:

Should we revisit this now?

Gasol is holding embiid to 8.6 ppg on 34% shooting with 2.8 turnovers per game. 

Harris is averaging more field goal attempts than points. 

Ben Simmons isn't scoring (9.4ppg), isn't getting to the ft line (1 made ft this series), isn't facilitating (4.6 apg)

Redick is being contained (13ppg). 

The only thing keeping Philly in this series is Toronto's 4-8 men in the rotation going 4/25 from the field in game 2 and 5 guys going 10/47 in game 3. 

Toronto can lose this series still by not taking care of business but the series has pretty much played out how I thought it would at least from a Philly offense vs Toronto defense perspective. 

Good revisit and pretty accurate.   Good series.  What I see keeping Philly in this series is rebounding and will be the key in game 7.  If Philly outrebounds Toronto by 10 or so they will be in the game.  If not they do not have much of a chance.  Harris's game (or disappearing game) has been disappointing (and he has had open looks).  Philly will have to shoot  reasonably well  (even if they have a rebounding edge) or have Embiid have an All Star game like he had in game 3.  

On 5/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, ?4thewin said:

Should we revisit this now?

Gasol is holding embiid to 8.6 ppg on 34% shooting with 2.8 turnovers per game. 

Harris is averaging more field goal attempts than points. 

Ben Simmons isn't scoring (9.4ppg), isn't getting to the ft line (1 made ft this series), isn't facilitating (4.6 apg)

Redick is being contained (13ppg). 

The only thing keeping Philly in this series is Toronto's 4-8 men in the rotation going 4/25 from the field in game 2 and 5 guys going 10/47 in game 3. 

Toronto can lose this series still by not taking care of business but the series has pretty much played out how I thought it would at least from a Philly offense vs Toronto defense perspective. 

Well your earlier comments regarding the series suggested that it should go easily to Toronto.  Philly was outmatched at virtually every position except Butler.  Toronto was “built” to beat Philly.  And so on.  The reality is that the series is dead even after 6.  Toronto is still favored to win but it certainly hasn’t been as one sided as your earlier comments would have suggested.  

4 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Congrats to your Warriors.  Thought it would go 7 games after KD went down.  Impressed with Warrior's defense especially when they went 1-3-1 to to limit Harden (took the ball out of his hands).  Move was coaching genius and is one part of Warrior's team that does not seem to get the credit it deserves.  I thought Rockets were way out coached last night.  

Thanks, OTH.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:08 PM, jjgator said:

Do you have some connection to the area or did you just jump on the bandwagon?

Hi jjgator.  I'm late getting back to you on your question about whether I jumped on the Warriors bandwagon. **Not that it matters, I guess, huh?**  ; )

To answer your question-- "not really".

I started paying attention to GS when Mark Jackson was the coach. Remember the 'hack-a-howard? That has nothing to do with why I started watching GS.

When Jackson was fired, I thought he was given a bad rap. Rumors were the organization didn't like how he spent his time off away from the team. It was nothing bad. Before leaving, Mark had developed a team which showed signs of becoming future contenders. I continued to follow GS as they put the pieces together to become the team they are today. 

10 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

The fact that the Lakers just hired the worst coach we've had post SVG is hilarious to me

Pretty crazy to me. I was one of those that was pretty excited to get Vogel when he first joined the Magic but after 2 seasons I could see why Bird got rid of him. Just don't feel the way his teams play suits the modern NBA at all. Jason Kidd as assistant is a bit of a strange one to me as well. Hope it goes terribly for them!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

The fact that the Lakers just hired the worst coach we've had post SVG is hilarious to me

Hahaha! So is it official? Have they hired him? I was going to post yesterday that he was meeting with the Lakers.

Good luck with that Lakers.

7 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Hahaha! So is it official? Have they hired him? I was going to post yesterday that he was meeting with the Lakers.

Good luck with that Lakers.

Never mind. . .just saw the announcement of the hiring on the espn website.

We're still really bad at judging coaching hires. Charlotte fans said a ton of things about Clifford, none of which really came true. So I'm not sure that just because Vogel didn't work here means he's not going to work there. 

That being said, I think Vogel is at his best as a non-micromanaging boss that gives guys freedom. That style is at its best when your have a talented professional veteran team. This current Lakers team is not that and a terrible fit. If they end up with a bunch of talented veteran players this summer and cash in most of the young guys I think he might be fine. 

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We're still really bad at judging coaching hires. Charlotte fans said a ton of things about Clifford, none of which really came true. So I'm not sure that just because Vogel didn't work here means he's not going to work there. 

That being said, I think Vogel is at his best as a non-micromanaging boss that gives guys freedom. That style is at its best when your have a talented professional veteran team. This current Lakers team is not that and a terrible fit. If they end up with a bunch of talented veteran players this summer and cash in most of the young guys I think he might be fine. 

Seems to me they just hired a placeholder to be the fall guy when the fans get mad at another slow start. They want Kidd to be head, they just need a sacrificial piece in his place before they give him the job. Just like Blatt with Lue

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Re Charlotte, Clifford was hamstrung by how bad Rich Cho was as a GM.

I said it would be the Warriors and the Nuggets in the WCF's and the Bucks facing the Raptors in the ECF's. Very easy to predict and of course I was correct.

Then Golden State beats Denver and Milwaukee knocks off the Raptors.

THEN the Warriors beat the Bucks in 5 or 6 games.

Yawns...wake me when it's over. Next please!

• Downvote 2