Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Grizzles - Sunday, March 10th, 6:00 P.M.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Did you misunderstand me? There's a few different philosophies of how to defend a pick and roll. Icing, blitzing, switching, or dropping. We drop. 

The Spurs execute better than we do in both phases but the general philosophy is forcing guys into off the dribble mid range jumpers which are the least efficient shots in the game. 

The on ball defenders need to fight harder over the screen and vucevic needs to shepherd the defender into position instead of retreating to his spot but it's been mostly effective for us this year as we're pretty average at defending the pick and roll. 

So our defense is predicated on our on ball guy getting through the pick and also the pick defender guiding the ball handler to the right spot.

It’s actually surprising we are decent at defending the PNR being that I thought Augustine and Vooch were awful at it.

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

So our defense is predicated on our on ball guy getting through the pick and also the pick defender guiding the ball handler to the right spot.

It’s actually surprising we are decent at defending the PNR being that I thought Augustine and Vooch were awful at it.

The other guys are better at it but we're really just counting on the percentages. We're giving up shots where the league average is around 40% so most nights it's a smart move. But guys like kemba are shooting 56% or 49% from certain mid range zones so they tend to carve us up. 

However at the same time we're limiting the roll man which is a high points per play category so it might still be a valid philosophy to let the star player get his but the him out and disrupt the rest of the flow. 

But yeah the main difference between good execution and our average execution is if you watch Aldridge in the video he retreats but keeps the ball handler 4 feet away at all times. It makes contesting the mid range jumper tough but feasible so the ball handler has to think about it. Vucevic vacates the mid range which isn't how he should play it. It's a small positioning issue

On 3/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, fan for too long 2 said:

So the defense is designed to give up wide open shots. Nice plan. I would think he is supposed to take the guard on then the weak side defender takes vooch’s man and everybody else rotates. No, yes?

I couldn't agree with you more.  Vuc should pick up and weak side pick up Vuc's man.