Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Knicks - Tuesday, Feb. 26th at 7:30 P.M.

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I commented on Robbins's article this morning with this exact point.  The way the 2nd unit plays with Grant instead of Briscoe is night & day.  Grant's complete lack of a handle means he can't go anywhere, and I've been saying since the start of the season that that completely torpedoes offensive sets.  Whereas Briscoe can break down his man, get into the paint, and either score or kick, Grant starts every possession just trying to maintain possession near midcourt until someone flashes to the top of the key to save him.

The silver lining is that Markelle Fultz is on this roster.  I've had to remind myself of that recently b/c it just slips my mind since he's not physically with the team.  He's a better version of Briscoe even if his shoulder never gets any better.

It's just really dumb. 

I think we could survive losing Isaac or Gordon but not briscoe lol. 

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also the "we shouldn't be saying making the playoffs is going to be easy" talk is wrong. 

We have the easiest path to the playoffs that is possible under these circumstances. 

If we don't make the playoffs (assuming no catastrophic injuries) we should blow up the team. Seriously. 

Our problems have been the same throughout most of the last seven years. 

1) Our backcourt depth is sorely lacking. DJ has been playing close to his ceiling almost all of this year, and the last part of last year; but when he goes to the bench we have problems. Briscoe has been playing well, but with him out, we are stuck with Grant. Hopefully we can get Fultz right, and we should let Grant become a free agent - no qualifying offer.  Fournier has not had a good year; but even when he is playing well, he tries to do too much in the 4th quarter. When he plays within the offense, keeps the ball moving, and waits for an opening, he can be very good; but he always tries to force it in the 4th. He may have to go, I just worry about what can we get in his place. TRoss has had an outstanding year, and was just plain off his game last night. Hopefully that late "3" will snap him back out of that rut. I think Iwundu is coming around, and his defense is good. I think we need at least one more quality wing. I'm not sure if Frazier will get there, certainly isn't there yet. 

2) We don't have an "ice water in his veins" closer. Vucevic gets the yips in close 4th quarters and seems to miss baskets he was making all game long. Fournier tries to do too much, and Gordon just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct. I'm not sure if Kelle Fultz does either, not much data on the NBA level to assess that with him. TRoss does have that "keep shooting" mentality that is part of it, and I'm beginning to have hope that Isaac may have it. 

I don't know about "blow up the team"; but I definitely think they are more sweeping changes coming this summer than there have been in the past. Here is what I would like to see:

1) Guarantee Briscoe for next season, I think he's earned the chance. Do not make Grant's qualifying offer, let him become unrestricted, and/or waive him at the right time.

2) Trade Fournier - maybe Denver would go for a Gary Harris/Fournier swap. I might even go for a bad contract, if it comes with a later first-round (20-25ish).

3) Re-sign TRoss. Guarantee Iwundu for next season.

4) Make Birch's qualifying offer so he remains Restricted. Do not make Martin's qualifying offer - I might be interested in re-signing him, but not at $7.25M. If he gets another offer, so be it. 

5) I'm on the fence about Vuc - I think you have to at least discuss re-signing him, but I would look for something similar to Gordon's contract at the most. Incentives built in for defensive goals/rebounds. 

6) Probably need to Waive/Stretch Mozgov  to be able to upgrade the team, and still stay out of the luxury tax. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Why not just sign one of the best PGs from the G League? You can't convince me that there aren't at least 5 who are better than Grant

That's why I say bring up Caupain for a while - he is already on a 2-way, is familiar with the system, and we don't have to waive anyone to make a space for him in the short-term. If he isn't better than Grant, you send him back down to Lakeland. If he is, then you look at waiving Grant and converting Caupain for the rest of the season. I'm not sure if you can sign anyone to a 10-day contract unless you have a roster space open. We currently don't, so that makes trying out another G-League player a bit more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Why not just sign one of the best PGs from the G League? You can't convince me that there aren't at least 5 who are better than Grant

This is what I’ve been thinking for months. There’s no way Caupain is worse. I’ll neber believe that. 

17 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

This is what I’ve been thinking for months. There’s no way Caupain is worse. I’ll neber believe that. 

I think we're being inadvertantly punished by Grant's good games especially that early stretch of the season where he played really well. The front office/coaching staff are looking at him like "how do we get more of that positive play" instead of "the positive play is the exception to what's typical for him". 

So I am of two minds here:

1. We very much deserved to lose this game based upon that fourth quarter. Way too much rushing, forced shots, shoddy decision making.

2. There seemed to be some bad calls by the refs there- especially when Isaac was absolutely clobbered after he grabbed the offensive rebound. Maybe I am a bit homerish- but shouldn't that type of play be a flagrant foul?

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I think we're being inadvertantly punished by Grant's good games especially that early stretch of the season where he played really well. The front office/coaching staff are looking at him like "how do we get more of that positive play" instead of "the positive play is the exception to what's typical for him". 

I agree. Yeah, just like a few games ago where he played well--which is out of the norm. I wondered if there were rare games like those was the reason the staff is holding on to him and allowing him to get big minutes (unless they are showcasing him.)

46 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I agree. Yeah, just like a few games ago where he played well--which is out of the norm. I wondered if there were rare games like those was the reason the staff is holding on to him and allowing him to get big minutes (unless they are showcasing him.)

There's no incentive to showcase him

Lets relax here for a minute. We are still in good shape. Our goal is really to make it to the 8th seed. 

We are going to make it. No doubt. I see charlotte losing tonight and us winning against Golden state. 

We be fine. 

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Lets relax here for a minute. We are still in good shape. Our goal is really to make it to the 8th seed. 

We are going to make it. No doubt. I see charlotte losing tonight and us winning against Golden state. 

We be fine. 

The Magic have absolutely no chance to beat the Warriors. Especially after their epic choke job against the Heat tonight. 

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MagicOne said:

The Magic have absolutely no chance to beat the Warriors. Especially after their epic choke job against the Heat tonight. 

Bro you really really are a debbie downer looooooooooool