Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic vs Celtics - Saturday, January 12 @ 6 P.M.

26 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Trade vuch start birch and Ross. That is all thanks. 

I agree with starting Ross but not Birch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Birch played against Boston's Bench players. I have seen some centers from other teams that would make Birch look like a third string center.

Most centers in the league can make long jumpers as well as score under the basket. Their ability to make long jumpers can pull Birch out from basket, allowing for easy lay ups.

Let's see what happens against the Rocket's center Capella.

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Nah. Only as a backup. 

edit: Birch was just hungry to get some minutes. He will eventually come back down to earth.

This is exactly who Birch has been since college. 

Man Boston Twitter is in a complete panic. Hopefully the same with Ainge. Already seeing it with the vets on Boston. Even though Vuc wasn’t that good tonight Boston fans are clamoring for him. Everything is going according to plan. Muuuahahaaaa!

Tonight was my first time ever going to an NBA game and I'm definitely glad we won so I was able to talk smack to those annoying Celtics fans. But my opinion maybe I'm wrong but if Bamba was playing instead of Birch we lose that game

2 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Tonight was my first time ever going to an NBA game and I'm definitely glad we won so I was able to talk smack to those annoying Celtics fans. But my opinion maybe I'm wrong but if Bamba was playing instead of Birch we lose that game

Probably. Most rookies are bad

1 hour ago, Odin said:

So, a thought-

Unless the center in question is a transcendent player- think Jokic or Embiid- the center position these days can be filled with a “low skilled” energy guy (I don’t think these guys are truly low skilled, but I think everyone knows the type) without losing much.

Honestly, insert a player like Birch into any team’s starting lineup. How much worse would they fare? Most, probably not that much. And, while I think Birch is a nice player, he is hardly irreplaceable.

I don’t think the same could be said for any other position. And this goes to show why the value for Vuch doesn’t seem to be there. I would argue he is better than the main centers on most of the playoff teams. Yet he would, in my opinion, likely cause any team to improve only minimally.

That isn’t to say centers are not important. In the scheme of the game they are still very important, and their role is very important. But the difference between one and another, beyond the individual playing style, is minimal in comparison to other positions. In a way, centers are becoming the running backs of the NBA. Immensely important to the game, but not valued that highly because another center that can provide 80-90% for much cheaper isn’t that hard to find.

I was actually gonna make a similar post. +1!