Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic Vs. Suns - Wednesday, Dec. 26th at 7:00 P.M.

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Since Dwight left, any NBA fan would have us as one of the most irrelevant teams in the league. If you factor in playoff contention or good play by young players, I have us as dead last right now.

Your posting style is so positive that it almost makes it seem like you're on the team's payroll, but I don't think that's necessarily what's best for the team. The front office has to be called out on its BS and apathy.

You're a hypocrite though. You can't push for the team to throw games while also lamenting not winning. 

And I'm not overly optimistic. I'm just talking a 1000 foot view of the situation instead of being beholden to the moment so I don't freak out and demand we blow up the team and build around vucevic one day because he happened to have a few good games in a row then change course a week later because vucevic had two bad games in a row. I'm not demanding more minutes for Bamba when he had two good games then trading him when he sucks. 

This fanbase has so little success in years that they lack any poise in the face of adversity. Every bad stretch results in panic. But I've lived through posters on here suggesting we trade Dwight in 2005 because "his improvement stopped". I've lived through "Stan Van Dumby isn't a winner we won't go anywhere with him". I've lived through "how dumb are we for overpaying Rashard? He's averaging less than 20ppg. Worthless". 

So "we lost 4 games in a row! The season is over!" really doesn't phase me that much. 

What I wanted this year is for us to have a legitimate season. Throw our roster out there and make a good faith effort to win basketball games so we can accurately evaluate everyone positively and negatively. And if that gives us 29 wins or 35 wins or 42 wins who cares. It at least gives us honest data to work with so we're not sitting here saying "Isaac averaged 17 points per game for the last month of the season but it was mostly garbage time scoring so who knows what's real". 

And if there's real moves out there looking towards the future I'd be happy for us to make them. But we'd be idiots to trade long term assets in a desperate attempt to turn our 29 win team into a 33 win team or our 35 win team into a 39 win team or our 42 win team into a 46 win team. Can't look at things that way. We're not Detroit. 

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You're a hypocrite though. You can't push for the team to throw games while also lamenting not winning. 

And I'm not overly optimistic. I'm just talking a 1000 foot view of the situation instead of being beholden to the moment so I don't freak out and demand we blow up the team and build around vucevic one day because he happened to have a few good games in a row then change course a week later because vucevic had two bad games in a row. I'm not demanding more minutes for Bamba when he had two good games then trading him when he sucks. 

This fanbase has so little success in years that they lack any poise in the face of adversity. Every bad stretch results in panic. But I've lived through posters on here suggesting we trade Dwight in 2005 because "his improvement stopped". I've lived through "Stan Van Dumby isn't a winner we won't go anywhere with him". I've lived through "how dumb are we for overpaying Rashard? He's averaging less than 20ppg. Worthless". 

So "we lost 4 games in a row! The season is over!" really doesn't phase me that much. 

What I wanted this year is for us to have a legitimate season. Throw our roster out there and make a good faith effort to win basketball games so we can accurately evaluate everyone positively and negatively. And if that gives us 29 wins or 35 wins or 42 wins who cares. It at least gives us honest data to work with so we're not sitting here saying "Isaac averaged 17 points per game for the last month of the season but it was mostly garbage time scoring so who knows what's real". 

And if there's real moves out there looking towards the future I'd be happy for us to make them. But we'd be idiots to trade long term assets in a desperate attempt to turn our 29 win team into a 33 win team or our 35 win team into a 39 win team or our 42 win team into a 46 win team. Can't look at things that way. We're not Detroit. 

You like to keep it real. Well said. MP surely this post has to clear things up ? We all want the Magic to be successful here.

6 minutes ago, MagicOne said:

Not sure if you remember Doc Rivers and his heart and hustle team ? Guys like Matt Harpring, Darrel Armstrong, Bo Outlaw. Every one of those guys would play harder than the other. Diving on the floor for loose balls. Giving 110 percent every night and on every play. No super stars. Just players who gave max effort night after night. That was the epitome of a true team.

Yeah I remember them but at the same time i want our team to be back fighting for championships. Having heart and hustle is good. But having talent plus that would be what I want. Heart and hustle gets you the 8th seed. We need to get back to being number 1 and 2 ASAP

1 minute ago, Jay Magic said:

Yeah I remember them but at the same time i want our team to be back fighting for championships. Having heart and hustle is good. But having talent plus that would be what I want. Heart and hustle gets you the 8th seed. We need to get back to being number 1 and 2 ASAP

Getting back to there will certainly take quite a bit of time unless we pull of some amazing deals rather quickly. Or if we get lucky in the draft and find another diamond in the rough.

We all want to win and are extremely frustrated; rightfully so. The front office has evaluated for almost a year in a half now, it’s time to make a plan and move off some of these players. 

I look at our record and statistics and it says we’re pretty bad, but very young; that’s about all I got on the half full. It seems like our bench has regressed and the fact that Evan who was our top scorer last year is having a horrible year. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Through smart trades and a proper developmental programme we will get there. Luck also is needed sometimes. 

Whatever moves we make I just want it to have a purpose. Trade vucevic for (x) because you envision him starting at point guard or shooting guard and playing off Isaac like this or supplement offense off the bench. 

Don't just trade players to get stuff back. 

"Oh, cool, we traded vucevic for a contract that we waived and a top 15 protected pick that will convey in 2020" isn't going to get things done for me. 

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Whatever moves we make I just want it to have a purpose. Trade vucevic for (x) because you envision him starting at point guard or shooting guard and playing off Isaac like this or supplement offense off the bench. 

Don't just trade players to get stuff back. 

"Oh, cool, we traded vucevic for a contract that we waived and a top 15 protected pick that will convey in 2020" isn't going to get things done for me. 

I agree I want things to be beneficial massively and not just for the sake of it. 

I want actual pieces to the fight for championships puzzle.

On 7/10/2013 at 11:04 AM, Drain-O said:

Also I cannot stress this enough. We want to be bad this year. There are 2 franchise guys in this draft and 7-8 potential all stars. From top to bottom this could be one of the best talent drafts of all time.

On 7/11/2013 at 9:24 AM, HeHateMe said:

I don't think anyone on this board is willing to wait 7 years, not even 5 years. Not even 4 years. But I think most of us feel that we are on the right track and after a soon to be rough season in store for us, things will really be looking up. Throw in a top 5 pick in a star studed draft, with the roster we already have and things could get fun in a hurry. Oh, and free agency sets up beautifully that summer too.

If a fan base jumps ship on a team during a 3 year rebuild than those people were never fans at all, and to them I say good riddance.

On 10/29/2013 at 5:03 PM, bringithomerashard said:

No chance it was Henny. He says all the right things all the time. It is kinda cool to see a GM admit something like that though. Everyone knows a handful of teams are tanking as hard as possible to enter the Wiggins Sweepstakes. We didn't have the worst team in basketball last year but Hennigan made sure it ended up that way. He'll find a way to get us in the top 3 picks again. Guy is a genius.

On 10/30/2013 at 7:25 AM, JJZFL said:

So you create the "worst team in basketball", and that makes you a genius? Sign me up. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who could put together a team that wouldn't win a single game.

41 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Since Dwight left, any NBA fan would have us as one of the most irrelevant teams in the league. If you factor in playoff contention or good play by young players, I have us as dead last right now.

So I took a lot of heat here back in the day, including maybe even some from you, Mauro, for cautioning against a tanking strategy.  Always felt it was high risk and could backfire badly.  People overestimated the likelihood of landing a superstar in the draft, overestimated which players would be superstars (Wiggins??), and underestimated the many bad effects of building a losing team.  Fortunately some of the major jerks are no longer posting here, but you can look way back at some of the threads from 2013 to see just how aggressively wrong people could be.

What's my point in bringing this back up?  Let's do what ?4thewin mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.  Let's take the hard road of actually building a good team one piece at a time, and then hopefully making a few shrewd moves, or getting lucky in the draft, to get us from good to great.  I too am tired of hearing people ready to tank at the first sign of trouble; it's becoming like a reflex now, and I think it's a main reason why we've become "irrelevant".  A pro team needs to be focused on winning.

I also agree with ?4thewin that making panic moves to improve marginally now while damaging our future is not the way to go.