Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Magic vs Spurs

Keep Calm and wait 5 years.  Truly, the panic is a culmination to the past 6 years.  We've waited so long and only stepped deeper into the darkness.  Hold on my brethren.  Time will see us right............IF........we do whats necesssary.  

Go Beyond..Plus Ultra.  

The Spurs have been on a tear, owed us a beat down and shot at an absolute historic clip tonight. This was definitely an L, with or without Filip’s daddy.

However, tonight was pretty clear evidence that if we wanna flirt with a playoff spot this year, we can’t trade Nik. I don’t think we’re re-signing him regardless, but if playoffs are the goal, we need him. Our entire offense revolves around him, Bamba is nowhere near ready, and any PG we might get for him would take some time and some losses to acclimate.

21 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The Spurs have been on a tear, owed us a beat down and shot at an absolute historic clip tonight. This was definitely an L, with or without Filip’s daddy.

However, tonight was pretty clear evidence that if we wanna flirt with a playoff spot this year, we can’t trade Nik. I don’t think we’re re-signing him regardless, but if playoffs are the goal, we need him. Our entire offense revolves around him, Bamba is nowhere near ready, and any PG we might get for him would take some time and some losses to acclimate.

I disagree. Ball movement was piss poor because we lack a play making PG. DJ is ok but having a play making PG would make Vuch even better than he is now although his boxscore stats would most likely drop due to the offense being more evenly dispersed. 

I'm usually pretty bummed after losses but honestly I don't know what we could've done in that one.  Seemed pretty evident to me that it was a shooting anomaly; didn't matter if SA was guarded, unguarded, set, fading, pulling up, spotting up, etc.  The effort was there to start, but then morale tanked early in the 2nd quarter when shot after shot kept falling.

IDK, this one didn't really hurt that bad for me.  Didn't feel winnable. 

The problem with ball is that he’s a playmaking PG with good defense but cannot shoot and thereforE cannot spread the floor...when you think about it, he’d be the perfect backup PG for this team but not a starter by any means. He’s what we want Grant to be. 

13 hours ago, ML6 said:

I'm usually pretty bummed after losses but honestly I don't know what we could've done in that one.  Seemed pretty evident to me that it was a shooting anomaly; didn't matter if SA was guarded, unguarded, set, fading, pulling up, spotting up, etc.  The effort was there to start, but then morale tanked early in the 2nd quarter when shot after shot kept falling.

IDK, this one didn't really hurt that bad for me.  Didn't feel winnable. 

I agree with you about their shooting.  However, Clifford made the following points in his post game press comments:

1. SA got 21 transition/fast break points in the first half and coming into the game they were 30th in the league in transition points.  If our guys don't get back on defense, we make them look better than they really are.  He said you don't win any games where you give up 21 transition points in a half, and that it's just effort, just a matter of running back.

2. They have excellent 3 point shooters.  Part of dealing with that is getting up close enough so that they're forced to put the ball on the floor.  When you don't do that, and according to him the Magic didn't, again the lack of defense makes them look good by allowing them to play to their strengths.

So Clifford was not sanguine about this loss, our third blowout in the last five.  The two victories were at such high altitude that everyone was having trouble playing, so hard to know how to interpret them.  He could have said the team played hard and SA was just having a great night, but he didn't say anything like that.  His word for the Magic level of play was "terrible".

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

I agree with you about their shooting.  However, Clifford made the following points in his post game press comments:

1. SA got 21 transition/fast break points in the first half and coming into the game they were 30th in the league in transition points.  If our guys don't get back on defense, we make them look better than they really are.  He said you don't win any games where you give up 21 transition points in a half, and that it's just effort, just a matter of running back.

2. They have excellent 3 point shooters.  Part of dealing with that is getting up close enough so that they're forced to put the ball on the floor.  When you don't do that, and according to him the Magic didn't, again the lack of defense makes them look good by allowing them to play to their strengths.

So Clifford was not sanguine about this loss, our third blowout in the last five.  The two victories were at such high altitude that everyone was having trouble playing, so hard to know how to interpret them.  He could have said the team played hard and SA was just having a great night, but he didn't say anything like that.  His word for the Magic level of play was "terrible".

It was terrible. 

It's also pointless and/or forgettable as long as we continue to beat the teams we're better than.