Odin

Trade Thread

Just with everyone's opinion do you think we need a pass first PG or a Scorer? On the other side an all rounder that could give us 10-15 points and 4-8 assists might suit us better. I personally think Rozier could do that, if not why cant be target up young hopefuls like the Clippers PG? 

2 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Just with everyone's opinion do you think we need a pass first PG or a Scorer? On the other side an all rounder that could give us 10-15 points and 4-8 assists might suit us better. I personally think Rozier could do that, if not why cant be target up young hopefuls like the Clippers PG? 

We need a facilitator and a shooter... either 1 who does both or ideally 2

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

Takes more than hunger. I don’t think Rozier is that talented.

The potential is there though, we've seen it in playoff Terry. If he was playing like that all through this season we wouldn't be getting him for Vuc, let alone with Brown thrown in. If a trade is there we have to take it if the price isn't too high. If he doesn't work out, or if we can't re-sign him we at least walk away with Brown. Even if they both don't work out we're not screwed (as opposed to making a trade for someone like Wiggins).

4 minutes ago, The Boss said:

The potential is there though, we've seen it in playoff Terry. If he was playing like that all through this season we wouldn't be getting him for Vuc, let alone with Brown thrown in. If a trade is there we have to take it if the price isn't too high. If he doesn't work out, or if we can't re-sign him we at least walk away with Brown. Even if they both don't work out we're not screwed (as opposed to making a trade for someone like Wiggins).

We saw it once. When I watch him, I see a backup. Handles are shaky, shooting is meh, passing isn’t elite or close to it. Solid defensively, decent rebounder but I wouldn’t trade for him. We need more of a skilled player offensively.

Pelicans Interested In Terrence Ross

JAN 12, 2019 2:39 AM

Ross_Terrence_orl_171129.jpg

The New Orleans Pelicans have shown interest in Terrence Ross as they look to upgrade their wing depth.

The Magic were reluctant to trade Ross as they pushed for a playoff spot, but they may be willing to deal after a recent losing streak. They are looking for a first-round pick in return for Ross. 

The Magic still would prefer to trade Jonathon Simmons. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252216/Pelicans-Interested-In-Terrence-Ross

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:
Pelicans Interested In Terrence Ross

JAN 12, 2019 2:39 AM

Ross_Terrence_orl_171129.jpg

The New Orleans Pelicans have shown interest in Terrence Ross as they look to upgrade their wing depth.

The Magic were reluctant to trade Ross as they pushed for a playoff spot, but they may be willing to deal after a recent losing streak. They are looking for a first-round pick in return for Ross. 

The Magic still would prefer to trade Jonathon Simmons. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252216/Pelicans-Interested-In-Terrence-Ross

I doubt we’d trade Ross for a draft pick unless we were out of the playoff hunt and it was a lottery pick. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/14/18181741/nikola-vucevic-trade-deadline-orlando-magic

So according to this guy, reasonable returns for Vooch would be a Mo Wagner-centric Lakers package or a Jerome Robinson (???) package from the Clippers.

Thanks but no thanks.

He also surmises that we would be better of for the long term if we tanked this season.  This logic is bad enough coming from regular Joe Schmoes like us, but to see it coming from a national writer is irresponsible.  This has been brought up in other threads but let me break down all the ways it is stupid:

1) Draft lottery odds change this year.  The worst teams in the league have flattened odds of any given top pick as compared to previous seasons.  Lottery teams with better records have increased odds compared to previous seasons. 

2) There is no way this team is "tanking" competitively even if Vooch is traded.  Without Vooch, we're still better than NY, PHX, ATL, CLE, and CHI.  For us, tanking this season means fighting for the 6th worst record.

3) This is a weak draft to be tanking in unless you get the first pick for Zion. 

4) The collective psyche of the fanbase wouldn't allow it.  Let's say we do what this guy says and attempt to tank.  We draft a PG and decide that since we tanked and are embracing the youth movement, he gets to start.  Now we're trotting out rookie PG/Fournier/Isaac/Gordon/Bamba.  Is that group ready to contend?  Or are we just doing the same thing we've done for years by giving all the young guys freedom without enough accountability which leads to bad habits again?

5) Did I mention how draft lottery odds change and we can't crack the worst 5 teams anyway?  OK good.

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/14/18181741/nikola-vucevic-trade-deadline-orlando-magic

So according to this guy, reasonable returns for Vooch would be a Mo Wagner-centric Lakers package or a Jerome Robinson (???) package from the Clippers.

Thanks but no thanks.

He also surmises that we would be better of for the long term if we tanked this season.  This logic is bad enough coming from regular Joe Schmoes like us, but to see it coming from a national writer is irresponsible.  This has been brought up in other threads but let me break down all the ways it is stupid:

1) Draft lottery odds change this year.  The worst teams in the league have flattened odds of any given top pick as compared to previous seasons.  Lottery teams with better records have increased odds compared to previous seasons.  

2) There is no way this team is "tanking" competitively even if Vooch is traded.  Without Vooch, we're still better than NY, PHX, ATL, CLE, and CHI.  For us, tanking this season means fighting for the 6th worst record.

3) This is a weak draft to be tanking in unless you get the first pick for Zion. 

4) The collective psyche of the fanbase wouldn't allow it.  Let's say we do what this guy says and attempt to tank.  We draft a PG and decide that since we tanked and are embracing the youth movement, he gets to start.  Now we're trotting out rookie PG/Fournier/Isaac/Gordon/Bamba.  Is that group ready to contend?  Or are we just doing the same thing we've done for years by giving all the young guys freedom without enough accountability which leads to bad habits again?

5) Did I mention how draft lottery odds change and we can't crack the worst 5 teams anyway?  OK good.

Oops, meant to EDIT a couple words and quoted myself.  Too early for me to be posting from work.

29 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Thanks but no thanks.

Man that has to be a LA writer or something. If that’s the kind of offers we are getting I have no problem letting Vuc walk and using him to get to the playoffs. I still can’t believe we held harden to 1-17 from 3... 

The overall conversation around Vuch nationally is weird. On one hand, every writer points out his statistical performance this season and states things like "Despite Vucevic being the only thing keeping Orlando from turning into a dumpster fire, the issue with acquiring him might not be Orlando’s asking price." But in return for trade value, it is almost like the Magic should accept any crap offered for him, like the other team is doing the Magic a favor in taking him.

I definitely understand the issues with Vuch. But this whole "the Magic should be willing to take the other team's crap because they are the Magic and should be thankful for anything at all" is getting out of hand. No, we don't want your young center who can't even hit 40% from the field. No, we don't want your expiring scraps. Other teams might as well sign a one armed player with a bad limp to trade to the Magic and the Magic should be thankful.

And for as much as I have written that Vuch might just be an incremental improvement for another team, sometimes that is all you need. While an incremental improvement doesn't mean much to us- Vuch is who he is and we need to give our other guys time to grow- for a capped out team challenging for the championship, don't you want to improve your team as much as you can? Why shouldn't the Lakers trade high on one of their inconsistent youngsters for a center who has been very consistent this year and is in his prime? A center who is better than all of their centers combined?

If the Magic would absolutely fall apart without him, then why does he have absolutely no value anywhere else? It is either one or the other. Either he is good and valuable to teams, or he is not. But don't make it out to be somehow both.

• Upvote 1

Honestly this has been the problem for the last 3 seasons. It's not that we  haven't had offers, i bet they were terrible. Now, it's our fault. Lack of a facilitator and coaching schemes have made our players look terrible around the trade deadline.If my memory serves we had injuries as well. 

This is such a huge problem i think we are cursed. We have two expiring players, finally healthy and playing their best at the deadline, but we also look good!

I think it's best to look at it this way. If we do not trade them and use bird rights, we will come back next year with the same team, at best. just taking a casual look we have the money to sign a third rate pg and draft a non lottery player. Most likely another project.

This is the price for getting a 7th or 8th seed. resigning two highly inconsistent players who maybe just had a career year?