Odin

Trade Thread

4 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

People are talking about toughness... Give me basketball TALENT...over toughness please. Skill prevails over that without a doubt. 

Seriously this isn't the 90's. Sometimes i can't believe how much the N.B.A has changed. 25 years ago just having a guy like Anthony Davis or KAT on your team meant an automatic 50 wins. Just needed a couple guards and a wing who could shoot a few mid-range shots and one guy good from outside.

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

Check Rozier and Brown for the celtics last night. They both play so much better without Kyrie. That's some youth the Magic could use.

would love to get them for vuc but they are riding a good 5 game win streak and don't know if they want to send anyone off

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

And this tunnel vision, fixating on trying to force history to repeat itself, is exactly why we’re in the fix that we’re in.  Ruin the team to get high draft picks.  Ruin all the players and the culture. Don’t try to win or incrementally improve.  Just keep going year after year after year hoping for the next Shaq.  It’s like a person who would rather spend their money on the lottery in real life instead of working on a viable plan for retirement.  It’s a fools game.  

I would also remind you that we weren’t intentionally tanking when we landed either Shaq or Howard.  We were never intentionally bad until Hennigan.  

We were not even intentionally bad under Hennigan.  We won games in the middle and at the end of the season that cost us draft position.  No one can say the tanking strategy did not work due to Philly and I would include the Lakers (even more recently look at Dallas last year). Philly understood you have to be drafting in the 1 to 3 position. There is, no doubt,  luck (Embiid was lucky, Boston was lucky) and other management (dealing) moves that enters into some of the equation of forming a team.  Philly was very aggressive accumulating draft picks and still is, dealing players in which some stuff worked, some did not.  Hopefully we will get some of that luck (since we have had none) with Isaac and Bamba (even though last night Isaac's tip in of two points for the Nets was  not the luck I refer to...lol) developing into great players.  Hopefully our FO will be smart and aggressive in forming this team of the future.   I will agree that with the new rules tanking now makes no sense.  But for a brief period of NBA history (before Philly forced the league to change the rules) if you were a bad team it was the way to go.  

16 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

We won games in the middle and at the end of the season that cost us draft position

When did this happen?

18 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

We were not even intentionally bad under Hennigan.  We won games in the middle and at the end of the season that cost us draft position.  No one can say the tanking strategy did not work due to Philly and I would include the Lakers (even more recently look at Dallas last year). Philly understood you have to be drafting in the 1 to 3 position. There is, no doubt,  luck (Embiid was lucky, Boston was lucky) and other management (dealing) moves that enters into some of the equation of forming a team.  Philly was very aggressive accumulating draft picks and still is, dealing players in which some stuff worked, some did not.  Hopefully we will get some of that luck (since we have had none) with Isaac and Bamba (even though last night Isaac's tip in of two points for the Nets was  not the luck I refer to...lol) developing into great players.  Hopefully our FO will be smart and aggressive in forming this team of the future.   I will agree that with the new rules tanking now makes no sense.  But for a brief period of NBA history (before Philly forced the league to change the rules) if you were a bad team it was the way to go.  

Respectfully disagree.  Philly was the exception.  Very high risk because if you don’t hit the jackpot with an Embiid, you’re guaranteeing that you will be terrible with no end in sight.

We had the worst record of any team in the NBA for a combined 3 years during Hennys tenure.  That qualifies as tanking to me.  

If we weren't intentionally bad under Hennigan, I would hate to see what intentionally bad entails.

10 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Respectfully disagree.  Philly was the exception.  Very high risk because if you don’t hit the jackpot with an Embiid, you’re guaranteeing that you will be terrible with no end in sight.

We had the worst record of any team in the NBA for a combined 3 years during Hennys tenure.  That qualifies as tanking to me.  

We had one top 3 pick in that time=Oladipo=all star we traded away.  Worst record did not translate into top 3 picks for us whereas Philly made sure it did.  Note I said some of that was luck of which we have had none.  But Philly followed a strategy, we stayed pat or went into panic mode.  I wish we were the exception not Philly.

3 minutes ago, ML6 said:

If we weren't intentionally bad under Hennigan, I would hate to see what intentionally bad entails.

Intentionally bad is not playing any starters at the end of the season like Dallas did last year to ensure the best draft position possible=trade=Doncic. (or the year Philly lost like 20 straight games or trading away players helping you win like the Lakers have done or current day Phoenix---that is was intentionally bad looks like.)  We were just bad without being intentional.

20 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I could start with last year alone.

Teams don't just lose all their games. Sometimes they win. There was no strategic error. 

We are not trading Vooch and I came to understand the reason behind it. Hammond is not even going to get himself in a position to be the one trading away the first Magic all star player selected since DH.

The media and all people around the league feels that Vooch should stay with the magic and will be crazy to trade him away for nothing. 

It hurts my heart to say but I see us signing him to a multiyear deal in the offseason.