Odin

Trade Thread

8 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Except he asked for a trade, so if they can get a cheaper replacement, on a similar length contract, like Fournier, it might be an additional incentive for the Conley move. 

They're rebuilding. They could cut Parsons if they wanted to get rid of him that badly. It's nonsensical for them to pay the cost to move Parson's contract because it gives them a worse return for Conley

Think about the Dwight trade. We dumped him for picks, young players, and role players that we could flip for future stuff. 

We didn't try to include Hedo in the deal because the cost of dumping his contract wasn't worth it to us. Parsons expires next year. They can just sit on that. Maybe his expiring becomes valuable next trade deadline. 

I don't trade for Conley if it includes Parsons. It impacts our ability to retain Ross or vucevic (if we go that route). He's just dead weight too. Career is basically over

• Like 1

Pretty sure I like the Conley option better than DSJ.  Like the idea of him guiding us until his contract expires, then assessing the options that summer.  I'm not too high on DSJ overall, but obviously I'd take him if the deal is right.

So with management telling Mike Conley and Marc Gasol they intend to move them they have essentially put themselves in a position of little to no leverage. They pretty much have to trade them now and that should make them somewhat reasonable to obtain. Would you all agree with this?

42 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Pretty sure I like the Conley option better than DSJ.  Like the idea of him guiding us until his contract expires, then assessing the options that summer.  I'm not too high on DSJ overall, but obviously I'd take him if the deal is right.

Eh i have said things about both players. If we could have convinced Dallas to take our pick and Fournier or Ross, i would have preferred that trade.

It seems likely they wanted one of B.I.G which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a young P.G. Conley is a good way for us to get to the playoffs but has much more risk involved.

19 minutes ago, magicblue said:

So with management telling Mike Conley and Marc Gasol they intend to move them they have essentially put themselves in a position of little to no leverage. They pretty much have to trade them now and that should make them somewhat reasonable to obtain. Would you all agree with this?

Is Conley at 28 mil desirable either way? 32 mil next year and 34 mil the year after? Hard pass. Doesn’t fix anything long term and he’s hurt a lot. This coming from an Ohio State fan too. Not to mention he’ll be 32 starting next season. 

Ball/Fultz/DSJ/Russ all make more sense to me 

If we were  close to a title push and Conley was the missing piece than by all means I’d be after him. He’s a good player. But for where we’re at I don’t get the timeline. 

28 minutes ago, magicblue said:

It's kind of a different game trading an older player than a younger one. Everyone knows who these guys are. With someone like DSJ  it's "sure he's a 12ppg point guard today but who knows what he could be tomorrow"

Conley is a pie that's still on the shelf from yesterday. It's not expired. You can eat it tonight or tomorrow. But with everyone looking for fresh pies the baker isn't going to play games with you and charge you full price. It's discounted because he wants to get something for it before it goes and he worked hard on it so he wants it to be eaten and not thrown away. 

So yeah. There's no way Conley is in Memphis past the trade deadline unless they get offered nothing of value. 

7 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

If we were  close to a title push and Conley was the missing piece than by all means I’d be after him. He’s a good player. But for where we’re at I don’t get the timeline. 

He's a bridge or a stop gap and a good one at that. 

Injuries keep coming up but I'd take 60 games of Conley and DJ or Mack as a backup over our current rotation for the next 3 years.