Odin

Trade Thread

On 2/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, rekraprovert said:

All along, I've been of the belief that we should resign Ross if it's at all possible to get him on a decent contract. When you're building a team, you don't let guys like him go without at least trying to keep him. Now that we've kept him past the deadline, it seems to me that we feel pretty good about resigning him. He seems like a cultural and scheme fit with the direction we're going and it's always a good idea to have a couple vets like him and DJ.

Fultz/Ross/JI/AG/Bamba.....man the potential of that lineup has me really excited.

I think Ross, as great of a 6th man as he is, is deserving of being in the starting lineup along with Fultz when he comes along. Just a GREAT athlete and shooter who plays off ball well to Fultz's ball dominance. 

My hope is that the FO has told Ross that they plan on moving Evan in the off-season and making him the starting SG. Hopefully with that assurance Ross would be keen to sign on with a team friendly deal.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:36 PM, Soul Bro said:

And we did used to have inside sources:

- Ball Junkie mentored Otis Smith Jr 

- Ball Junkie was close to Jerry Reynolds... who was close to Otis Smith Sr

- Moldy Hobo was close to the son or daughter of the Devos son in law who was fired

- Some other poster was close to our CFO

- Etc

I went way back on the timeline for this one to figure out who Moldy Hobo was...

Can we talk about how Ball Junkie MENTORED OTIS SMITH JR?! Craziness and props, Ball Junkie. 

We need more insider information, y'all. I'm tired of reading tea leaves. lol 

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, TreyMachine said:

I went way back on the timeline for this one to figure out who Moldy Hobo was...

Can we talk about how Ball Junkie MENTORED OTIS SMITH JR?! Craziness and props, Ball Junkie. 

We need more insider information, y'all. I'm tired of reading tea leaves. lol 

Alright, Junkie, spill the beans. Tell us all of your inside avenues from back in the day. Lol!

6 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Alright, Junkie, spill the beans. Tell us all of your inside avenues from back in the day. Lol!

So in my 30’s there was a kid I used to encourage and work out with at the local gym …he was college at the time …he eventually made a career of coaching bb and got hired at the same school he graduated from …a small school called Webber University/College about 10 minutes from my house.

One summer shortly thereafter we met at the gym again …he started telling me about his program/team …Meanwhile I had become a member of this message board and a regular contributor …needless to say I was a big Magic fan …Coach Shoffner, was his name said he had ex-Magic player Jerry Reynolds as his assistant …Jerry trying to work his way up the profession .

Jerry played on the same Magic team as the then current Magic GM Otis Smith …Otis’s son, Otis Smith Jr went to Webber …Shoffner started inquiring of me that he could use more assistants …so me being a Magic fan and knowing the Magic royalty he had in his program I obliged .

Wasn't long after I started working as a volunteer for him that he told me Otis Jr had talent but that keeping his weight down was a problem …so I took the job of being Otis Jr  personal trainer duh lol …I worked with Otis Jr at the minimum 3 times a week …also saw Jerry Reynolds every day in practice …he shared great stories about his time in the league .

Anyway, every trade Otis Sr was pondering guess who knew before anybody lol …Otis Jr would tell me what NBA talk his father was doing cause he would hear it while riding in the car with his Dad …I know there was one trade with Denver and some others that I posted but I can’t remember now …I got to meet the writer, John Denton(Magic beat writer)one day at Magic Summer league …when I told him about my new job he and I became great friends duh lol.

Every bit of info Otis Jr shared with me I’d call Denton …when the Magic were building their Finals team I know there was one key guy they signed and Denton called me to tell me they were signing him but he wanted to let me break the news lol ..anyway, you get the picture .

Now this is where Soul Bro comes in …he was constantly calling me and pumping me for info …as the news of a possible Chris Paul signing rumors grew louder Soul was on me daily …there was a poster on these message boards by the name of RevTy77 …he also was somewhat of an insider or at least if my memory serves he thought he was .

RevTy77 was convinced Chris Paul was coming and had these message boards all ramped up …I’ll never forget the night the trade was supposedly happening …I think I was on suspension and couldn’t post anything …so Soul Bro was calling me nonstop wanting to know what was going on …finally I relented and straight texted Otis Jr to get the scoop …he told me “NO” in capital letters just like that …so I called Soul and told him.

I can’t remember exactly but I think Soul and RevTy were going back and forth on these message boards relaying mixed messaging lol .

When I look back now was quite the experience …when I would attend Magic games the then Magic beat writer for the Sentinel, Brian Schmitz always wanted to make conversation with me lol …A poster we had back then and who still posts now Nyce_1 can verify this …he and I went to some games and sat together .

Good times lol …

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

So in my 30’s there was a kid I used to encourage and work out with at the local gym …he was college at the time …he eventually made a career of coaching bb and got hired at the same school he graduated from …a small school called Webber University/College about 10 minutes from my house.

One summer shortly thereafter we met at the gym again …he started telling me about his program/team …Meanwhile I had become a member of this message board and a regular contributor …needless to say I was a big Magic fan …Coach Shoffner, was his name said he had ex-Magic player Jerry Reynolds as his assistant …Jerry trying to work his way up the profession .

Jerry played on the same Magic team as the then current Magic GM Otis Smith …Otis’s son, Otis Smith Jr went to Webber …Shoffner started inquiring of me that he could use more assistants …so me being a Magic fan and knowing the Magic royalty he had in his program I obliged .

Wasn't long after I started working as a volunteer for him that he told me Otis Jr had talent but that keeping his weight down was a problem …so I took the job of being Otis Jr  personal trainer duh lol …I worked with Otis Jr at the minimum 3 times a week …also saw Jerry Reynolds every day in practice …he shared great stories about his time in the league .

Anyway, every trade Otis Sr was pondering guess who knew before anybody lol …Otis Jr would tell me what NBA talk his father was doing cause he would hear it while riding in the car with his Dad …I know there was one trade with Denver and some others that I posted but I can’t remember now …I got to meet the writer, John Denton(Magic beat writer)one day at Magic Summer league …when I told him about my new job he and I became great friends duh lol.

Every bit of info Otis Jr shared with me I’d call Denton …when the Magic were building their Finals team I know there was one key guy they signed and Denton called me to tell me they were signing him but he wanted to let me break the news lol ..anyway, you get the picture .

Now this is where Soul Bro comes in …he was constantly calling me and pumping me for info …as the news of a possible Chris Paul signing rumors grew louder Soul was on me daily …there was a poster on these message boards by the name of RevTy77 …he also was somewhat of an insider or at least if my memory serves he thought he was .

RevTy77 was convinced Chris Paul was coming and had these message boards all ramped up …I’ll never forget the night the trade was supposedly happening …I think I was on suspension and couldn’t post anything …so Soul Bro was calling me nonstop wanting to know what was going on …finally I relented and straight texted Otis Jr to get the scoop …he told me “NO” in capital letters just like that …so I called Soul and told him.

I can’t remember exactly but I think Soul and RevTy were going back and forth on these message boards relaying mixed messaging lol .

When I look back now was quite the experience …when I would attend Magic games the then Magic beat writer for the Sentinel, Brian Schmitz always wanted to make conversation with me lol …A poster we had back then and who still posts now Nyce_1 can verify this …he and I went to some games and sat together .

Good times lol …

Haha! Love it. The glory days

44 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Good times lol …

I’m a couple years younger than you guys. I was relatively new on these boards in college when that was going on and I remember the hype of the Chris Paul potential. Crazy times indeed.

you have lived in many ways a magic fans dream having access to insider information. While I’m sad we don’t have that anymore, I’m also happy that there are fewer leaks coming from this front office, even if that means I don’t get that information before it actually happens. Lol

do you keep up with Otis Smith Jr? Hope he’s doing OK. I always liked to Otis Smith he just wasn’t the best tactician at the end of the day. 

Separately, I remember there was an event at the Orlando Magic game for posters on the board to get together. Would love to actually connect with you guys in person at some point if it ever happens. I don’t have many hard-core magic fans around me, even though I live in Orlando surprisingly and have a good network of friends. Hope we can make it happen! 

• Upvote 1

Guess I should reintroduce myself. Been around for a good minute. Former username was Magicman28 and I still think Hezonja was talented.

34 minutes ago, Jon said:

Guess I should reintroduce myself. Been around for a good minute. Former username was Magicman28 and I still think Hezonja was talented.

Well welcome back!

51 minutes ago, Jon said:

Welcome back my guy 

10 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Well welcome back!

We got the first pick. Had to.

Tried going on old account. Was having troubles logging in for some reason.

Reading all the old stories...Man...Real quick...I worked/ worked out of an very popular gym in Altamonte. One evening I was speaking with some clients when a notice a face. Didn’t know this person but I knew that face. After a few times of seeing this person, I started a conversation with him. Come to find out he’s a cousin to a very important Magic player at the time. Looks almost identical to him too. He use to tell me all the time things. Remember him telling me about Dwight and how his cuz and others just were fed up with his childish behavior. Spoke about rumors etc. Fun times.