Odin

Trade Thread

12 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Idk why this got downvoted. Reality is hard for some people to see I guess. I don’t think we have to trade Ross but since he’s probably our most appealing player (next to Vuch) it makes sense. 

Someone had a great comment in the game-thread about how the nets haven’t had a first round pick in a decade yet their rebuild went bettter than ours. 

I’m not pushing to tank. I am however pushing to trade what pieces we do have that might be able to net us good young talent or create a more flexible roster and let our lottery picks run the show more. If those guys can win us games great. 

This makes a lot of sense to me.  Try to get something for Ross and Vuc so they do not walk away for nothing.  If nothing materializes on the trade side of things I hope we offer one year deals (you will overpay on one year deals) to them.  That is the new NBA so it gives cap flexibility when needed.  

5 hours ago, MagicOne said:

Have to agree here with 4TW. After thorough research and crunching numbers Mike Conley makes the most sense. And as stated before he is a high character guy that will certainly help in the development of our young core.

How is a high character guy (Conley) going to help the Magic win games. Our entire roster is made up of high character guys (choir boys). We need toughness on this team. Our players are afraid to put a body on someone. Either that or they are afraid to take it strong to the hole to get to the free throw line. Most of the time when Fournier drives to the basket, he misses a simple layup.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

How is a high character guy (Conley) going to help the Magic win games. Our entire roster is made up of high character guys (choir boys). We need toughness on this team. Our players are afraid to put a body on someone. Either that or they are afraid to take it strong to the hole to get to the free throw line. Most of the time when Fournier drives to the basket, he misses a simple layup.

Conley is certainly a better option as a starting point guard than DJ. DJ can go back to being a solid backup. MC is also a solid defender. He will make the guys around him better. As for toughness you know I agree with you there. We could use a guy who isn't afraid to drop the hammer down on someone. Unfortunately it seems as though the Magic don't really prefer to have those kind of players on their roster. It's like a softball team I played on not too long ago. I was on first base when a guy hit one into the gap in right center field. I tried to score all the way from first base as the throw was coming home. The ball got to the catcher and he was completely blocking the plate. So I knocked him on his keyster and jarred the ball out. I was safe. When I returned to my dugout one of the guys on the team said "We don't play that way here". I said no worries as I grabbed my glove and took off. Even the catcher said "good play man" as I helped him up and made sure he was ok. It was a good clean hard nosed play. It is funny how some guys/teams/organizations don't go for that even when it is clean.

Who do you think brings this toughness, do you think a guy like Tyson Chandler? I always liked Barnes when he played for us to bring back some grit. 

22 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Who do you think brings this toughness, do you think a guy like Tyson Chandler? I always liked Barnes when he played for us to bring back some grit. 

Ah yes Barnes. He could really stir things up! Guys like Ingles, Crowder, Adams, Brewer just to name a few of todays players that fit that same type of mold. Guys that can be an irritant and get under your skin while disrupting the opponents offensive flow out there. They let you know that it won't be a walk in the park. The Magic need that kind of toughness. Not a dirty player. Just someone who is a tenacious defender who isn't afraid to mix it up at times.

People are talking about toughness... Give me basketball TALENT...over toughness please. Skill prevails over that without a doubt. 

Conley only make sense if we are working towards getting into the playoff. Every game counts. If we are doing this. We have to do it aooner than later. 

If we get 4-5 games out of the playoff run before trade deadline, I rather be sellers and work towards building a better team for next year. Conley should not be an option then and we should be working on a package for a PG’s  like Fultz or Brogdon.  

12 hours ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

All our success has been based on 2 #1 pick centers.  Fact!

And this tunnel vision, fixating on trying to force history to repeat itself, is exactly why we’re in the fix that we’re in.  Ruin the team to get high draft picks.  Ruin all the players and the culture. Don’t try to win or incrementally improve.  Just keep going year after year after year hoping for the next Shaq.  It’s like a person who would rather spend their money on the lottery in real life instead of working on a viable plan for retirement.  It’s a fools game.  

I would also remind you that we weren’t intentionally tanking when we landed either Shaq or Howard.  We were never intentionally bad until Hennigan.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Conley only make sense if we are working towards getting into the playoff. Every game counts. If we are doing this. We have to do it aooner than later. 

If we get 4-5 games out of the playoff run before trade deadline, I rather be sellers and work towards building a better team for next year. Conley should not be an option then and we should be working on a package for a PG’s  like Fultz or Brogdon.  

Definitely. Waiting till the deadline to make that trade would be infuriating 

25 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Definitely. Waiting till the deadline to make that trade would be infuriating 

But if I'm Memphis, I'm waiting until the deadline to maximize my return.  A contender might suffer an injury (see Oladipo, Victor) and overpay.

Check Rozier and Brown for the celtics last night. They both play so much better without Kyrie. That's some youth the Magic could use.