Odin

Trade Thread

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Where are we at that a couple years of all star caliber point guard play wouldn't be valuable?

You've been skeptical of Gordon and Isaac. That's fine. What would be better than removing most excuses away from their development?

"Evan, Gordon, etc would be better if they were put in the right role"

Conley puts them in the right role.

"We need a facilitator at point guard to get the most out of these guys"

Conley is a really smart point guard who is great at sitting back and distributing. 

"I disagree, we need more scoring"

Conley has averaged 20 ppg over the past 3 seasons

"What we really need is shooting"

Conley is a career 38% three point shooter. 

"Well what about big games?"

In his last playoff series he averaged 25 and 7 on 49/45/84 shooting against the Spurs.

23/5/6 against Portland this year. 

26 and 5 against Boston. 

"Well what do we do if he declines"

We let his contract expire and find a new point guard. He's not going to go from 20ppg to 2019 Tony Parker in two weeks. His game is built to age. He'll be a viable starter throughout his contract. 

Spot on! I think Conley can get us into the playoffs and be a positive impact on the young guys. 

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The world where we want to watch a decent basketball team for a few years and want to stop being "lol the magic"

Oh okay I get it now.  Decent may work for some of you but for me I want greatness, or at least striving for it!  

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Why are you so obsessed with building around vucevic lately?

Vucevic has value to us now because we are forced to run things through him. If you have two scorers on the team Vuc and his defense is a liability and lowers the ceiling of the team. He's like David Lee on Golden State. 

This is a possibility but we don't know for sure, since Vuc has never played with someone better than him. You could also take the optimistic approach and say he could thrive like Brook Lopez in Milwaukee. Or that his defense would be better, with less physical exertion on offense.

I just look at our franchise, our coach, and I don't see people willing to tank. We're not firing Clifford anytime soon and that guy loves to compete at all costs and play through a Center. If we're trying to win-now, might as well get Vuc some help.

Gordon, Bamba, Isaac are nice but there's a good chance none of them become as good as Vuc is right now EVER in their careers.

And yes, I still think Vuc has some flaws, but maybe we'd be better off living with the flaws and try to minimize them, like Denver does with Jokic

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

If we get Conley without giving up a big piece I think we win 40+ this year

Yup and who knows if he becomes the "piece" that makes us contenders in the east. You just never know how these trades will go. He could be the perfect player to compliment our current team. He's definitely worth the gamble if the price isn't too high. 

8 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

So we are faced with the same long term PG solution problem in a couple of years?  To get an injury prone 31 yo on a team that is not going to compete anyway?  Please explain to me in what world does that make sense.

If you want to tank evey season to just stock pile young guys, boy do I have the team for you! *slaps roof of car*

1200px-Phoenix_Suns_logo.svg.png

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The world where we want to watch a decent basketball team for a few years and want to stop being "lol the magic"

Or the world where we enter modern basketball and play a style that reflects that of successful teams. 

3 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

Oh okay I get it now.  Decent may work for some of you but for me I want greatness, or at least striving for it!  

Sometimes it makes sense to go to war with what you have for a while. 

With the new lotto odds what you're asking for is being prepared for 7 years years of being a bottom 3 team (7 years times 14% chance of getting the number one pick gives you 98% probability of getting the number one pick). 

Plus a few years to develop that guy. That's not really palatable for most fans at this point where we've been out of the playoffs for going on 7 years now. 

I'm all for getting Conley if we can keep BIG out of any deal for him.

I think he'd be the perfect fit for us right now. I'm huge on good locker room guys that can improve team morale, that can lead and be huge in the development of BIG. ?4tw (Conley4thewin - 2 syllables, check) pointed out all the timeline stuff and I think it makes perfect sense for our core.

We need to have a crack at the playoffs and winning basketball to get the most out of BIG and see what they are (what they can be). Tanking again will just mess with their development, you can't do it forever and just keep acquiring good young rookies and expect all of them to progress into their potential.

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

With contracts going from 7 to 4 years we'll always be in that position. 

Yeah but there’s a difference between resigning a young talent and looking for talent. In 2-3 years we’ll have to do the latter.

18 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

If you want to tank evey season to just stock pile young guys, boy do I have the team for you! *slaps roof of car*

1200px-Phoenix_Suns_logo.svg.png

Wow congratulating your own take, that is fresh!  I would take the Booker, Ayton, and their pick this year core over what we have.  Their management and coaching is horrible!