Odin

Trade Thread

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

It's kind of a different game trading an older player than a younger one. Everyone knows who these guys are. With someone like DSJ  it's "sure he's a 12ppg point guard today but who knows what he could be tomorrow"

Conley is a pie that's still on the shelf from yesterday. It's not expired. You can eat it tonight or tomorrow. But with everyone looking for fresh pies the baker isn't going to play games with you and charge you full price. It's discounted because he wants to get something for it before it goes and he worked hard on it so he wants it to be eaten and not thrown away. 

So yeah. There's no way Conley is in Memphis past the trade deadline unless they get offered nothing of value. 

Lol your metaphors sometimes man. That was a good one!

5 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

He's a bridge or a stop gap and a good one at that. 

Injuries keep coming up but I'd take 60 games of Conley and DJ or Mack as a backup over our current rotation for the next 3 years. 

A bridge or stop gap to what?

4 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

A bridge or stop gap to what?

Our PG position. ?4TheWin has posted the timeline a couple times. Why do you disagree with getting a solid PG for practically nothing but a 1st?

17 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

He's a bridge or a stop gap and a good one at that. 

Injuries keep coming up but I'd take 60 games of Conley and DJ or Mack as a backup over our current rotation for the next 3 years. 

It’s a lot of money to pay a single player when the team around him won’t win over 40 games the next 2 years. It’s not my money so I don’t really care but just doesn’t seem like a smart move when we could take a shot on one of those Younger guys and hope they develop into something as good if not better and have them around for years longer. 

I wouldn’t be mad if we traded for Conley. I’ve loved him since his college days I just think there are better fitting options. 

14 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

If we were  close to a title push and Conley was the missing piece than by all means I’d be after him. He’s a good player. But for where we’re at I don’t get the timeline. 

Where are we at that a couple years of all star caliber point guard play wouldn't be valuable?

You've been skeptical of Gordon and Isaac. That's fine. What would be better than removing most excuses away from their development?

"Evan, Gordon, etc would be better if they were put in the right role"

Conley puts them in the right role.

"We need a facilitator at point guard to get the most out of these guys"

Conley is a really smart point guard who is great at sitting back and distributing. 

"I disagree, we need more scoring"

Conley has averaged 20 ppg over the past 3 seasons

"What we really need is shooting"

Conley is a career 38% three point shooter. 

"Well what about big games?"

In his last playoff series he averaged 25 and 7 on 49/45/84 shooting against the Spurs.

23/5/6 against Portland this year. 

26 and 5 against Boston. 

"Well what do we do if he declines"

We let his contract expire and find a new point guard. He's not going to go from 20ppg to 2019 Tony Parker in two weeks. His game is built to age. He'll be a viable starter throughout his contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It’s a lot of money to pay a single player when the team around him won’t win over 40 games the next 2 years.

If we get Conley without giving up a big piece I think we win 40+ this year

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

I’m fine with Conley. I just hate that in a few years, we’ll be right back in this position.

With contracts going from 7 to 4 years we'll always be in that position. 

2 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Our PG position. ?4TheWin has posted the timeline a couple times. Why do you disagree with getting a solid PG for practically nothing but a 1st?

So we are faced with the same long term PG solution problem in a couple of years?  To get an injury prone 31 yo on a team that is not going to compete anyway?  Please explain to me in what world does that make sense.

1 minute ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

So we are faced with the same long term PG solution problem in a couple of years?  To get an injury prone 31 yo on a team that is not going to compete anyway?  Please explain to me in what world does that make sense.

The world where we want to watch a decent basketball team for a few years and want to stop being "lol the magic"

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Where are we at that a couple years of all star caliber point guard play wouldn't be valuable?

You've been skeptical of Gordon and Isaac. That's fine. What would be better than removing most excuses away from their development?

"Evan, Gordon, etc would be better if they were put in the right role"

Conley puts them in the right role.

"We need a facilitator at point guard to get the most out of these guys"

Conley is a really smart point guard who is great at sitting back and distributing. 

"I disagree, we need more scoring"

Conley has averaged 20 ppg over the past 3 seasons

"What we really need is shooting"

Conley is a career 38% three point shooter. 

"Well what about big games?"

In his last playoff series he averaged 25 and 7 on 49/45/84 shooting against the Spurs.

23/5/6 against Portland this year. 

26 and 5 against Boston. 

"Well what do we do if he declines"

We let his contract expire and find a new point guard. He's not going to go from 20ppg to 2019 Tony Parker in two weeks. His game is built to age. He'll be a viable starter throughout his contract. 

THIS!

3 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

And in a world where we can actually develop BIG with a competent point guard rotation, which we haven't had since Nelson/Alston or Nelson/Arroyo.