Odin

Trade Thread

1 hour ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I agree.  That's why we should be focused on moving Vucevic with any other moveable assets and thinking more macro instead of putting band aids on the big problem which is lack of top end talent.

Wait we lack top end talent but you don't want a top 10-12 PG?

5 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Sure he is. They don’t fit with. Both are ball dominate.

They like each other. He's mad at the situation, not the fit

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Sure he is. They don’t fit with. Both are ball dominate.

Smart teams and coaches find ways around this problem. New Jersey is the perfect example right now. They tried and failed to play Spencer and Russell together.

Coach decided to play Dinwiddie mostly off the bench and boom, huge winning streak.Whoever is hot in the 4th gets the most touches.

21 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Smart teams and coaches find ways around this problem. New Jersey is the perfect example right now. They tried and failed to play Spencer and Russell together.

Coach decided to play Dinwiddie mostly off the bench and boom, huge winning streak.Whoever is hot in the 4th gets the most touches.

I don’t think eithe Luka or DSJ see themselves as 6th men.

3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Sure they like each other but DSJ is not a SG.

Yeah. But Smith not being a shooting guard is not why doncic is mad. The Smith Carlisle feud that's going to end with his friend on another team is why doncic is mad. 

Things to think about with Memphis. Trading away those 3 players is more about keeping their draft pick this year and next. Last year they wound up with a low draft pick because of injuries. This year they have had better health but same results. The pick they have this year is top 8 protected. It goes to top 6 protected next year.

I'm sure it's all about doing Conley and Gasol a favor. Sending them somewhere they can play while insuring they keep their pick this year. Whatever they get back in assets i'm sure they want a few picks plus players that won't help them win  too much. So which teams can send rookies on 3 or 4 year contracts raw enough they won't win with a veteran to make the trade work, plus a pick. Not too  many teams could do this, and give up on a player they likely just drafted.

The next logical thing is sending them  to mid tier teams, like the heat for instance. They can send back  players like Dragic and Ellington, plus a pick. If they value the playoffs they won't mind losing a pick. Indiana, Detroit and Miami seem to be in our category, can we beat whatever they offer? 

Then we have other likely lotto teams who want to improve this year but i couldn't see give up a pick for this draft. Teams like the Suns, Kings and Wolves.We could beat them by  including our pick this year. 

We could make a good offer but taking on the contract is not enough, other teams can do that.What can we offer to beat the other teams. What are we willing to give up?

Again i would rather give up picks then young players. 

I have always liked Mike Conley, but there are a couple of drawbacks. He does have two years of sizable salary after this one, he is 31 years old, and he has had some injury issues the past few years; but as ?4TW said, these all kind of work with our time frame, and salary timing. My biggest concern though, is the fact he has played most of his career in Memphis slow-down type of offense, and I am not sure he would be as adept in the up-tempo that we should be running with BIG. Having said that, I do have a trade idea below. It is basically Conley/Parsons/Dillon Brooks/Jevon Carter for Fournier/Mozgov/Vucevic/Grant/top 3 protected option to switch 1st round picks this year or OKC pick for next.  This gets them a similar player to Parsons in Fournier, but $7.5M cheaper, Vucevic's expiring as a tryout if they are shopping Gasol, Mozgov who might be a fill/tank mode for 2019-20 or who could be waived/stretched, and Grant's expiring as a tryout. You could also sub in Simmons for Grant, which still works. They can either keep Simmons for 19-20 at the reasonable contract, or waive him and only pay the guaranteed $1M. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc3oefxt

We would be as follows:

Conley/Augustin/Briscoe/Carter

Ross/Iwundu/Brooks/Frazier

Isaac/Parsons/Simmons

Gordon/Martin

Bamba/Birch

If you subbed in Simmons, you would probably play Iwundu at both wings as a second or third backup. 

4 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I have always liked Mike Conley, but there are a couple of drawbacks. He does have two years of sizable salary after this one, he is 31 years old, and he has had some injury issues the past few years; but as ?4TW said, these all kind of work with our time frame, and salary timing. My biggest concern though, is the fact he has played most of his career in Memphis slow-down type of offense, and I am not sure he would be as adept in the up-tempo that we should be running with BIG. Having said that, I do have a trade idea below. It is basically Conley/Parsons/Dillon Brooks/Jevon Carter for Fournier/Mozgov/Vucevic/Grant/top 3 protected option to switch 1st round picks this year or OKC pick for next.  This gets them a similar player to Parsons in Fournier, but $7.5M cheaper, Vucevic's expiring as a tryout if they are shopping Gasol, Mozgov who might be a fill/tank mode for 2019-20 or who could be waived/stretched, and Grant's expiring as a tryout. You could also sub in Simmons for Grant, which still works. They can either keep Simmons for 19-20 at the reasonable contract, or waive him and only pay the guaranteed $1M. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc3oefxt

We would be as follows:

Conley/Augustin/Briscoe/Carter

Ross/Iwundu/Brooks/Frazier

Isaac/Parsons/Simmons

Gordon/Martin

Bamba/Birch

If you subbed in Simmons, you would probably play Iwundu at both wings as a second or third backup. 

I don't think getting rid of Parsons contract is a plus for them now. It was when they were trying to compete. Now they can just let it run out, or buy out in his last year.

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. But Smith not being a shooting guard is not why doncic is mad. The Smith Carlisle feud that's going to end with his friend on another team is why doncic is mad. 

If that does indeed happen. I agree. Luka doesn’t seem that petty.

11 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I don't think getting rid of Parsons contract is a plus for them now. It was when they were trying to compete. Now they can just let it run out, or buy out in his last year.

Except he asked for a trade, so if they can get a cheaper replacement, on a similar length contract, like Fournier, it might be an additional incentive for the Conley move.