Odin

Trade Thread

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Basically Pairing Isaac, Bamba, and Gordon with Conley will be good for their development because Conley is an all star caliber point guard and above average at everything you'd want from a point guard. He can shepherd the young players into their prime. His contract expires exactly when you'd want it to, the summer of Isaac's restricted free agency where Gordon and Bamba will be expiring contracts going into that year. That's also a good point guard class with all the point guards from the 2017 draft being restricted free agents along with Lillard an some other high profile names. So basically he gives us a hard decision point where we can commit to building around the combination of those guys while simultaneously having a bunch of cap space to fit around them or pack everything in and tank again. And if Conley declines in the last year he's not going to turn into some terrible player. He'd go from a 20 and 6 guy to a 14 and 6 guy. 

Not to mention he is a great teammate a locker room guy. Exactly what this teams need. 

• As the Memphis Grizzlies continue to struggle, the idea of trading away either Marc Gasol or Mike Conley is becoming a more realistic option. However, if Memphis does pursue a deal that would ship out one of their star players, they would like to shed some salary as well.

According to Marc Stein of the New York Times,  any team interested in making a move for Marc Gasol or Mike Conley would also have to be willing to take Chandler Parsons and his contract in the trade.

Chandler Parsons signed a 4-year, $94 million deal with the Grizzlies back in the salary cap swelling summer of 2016. He has only played a total of 73 regular season games for Memphis despite being in his third season with the team.

Health concerns throughout the last few seasons have kept him sidelined, but Parsons is now healthy and ready to play. Following a disagreement about how he should return to action– specifically regarding a possible stint in the G League prior to a return to the Grizzlies — led to Parsons and Memphis agreeing to part ways on Jan. 6.

The rumors have been in full effect, with the possibility that Gasol could seek another opportunity to compete elsewhere as the Grizzlies look at a possible rebuild. Gasol, similar to Parsons, is making just over $24.1 million this season. Any team looking to get a deal done would likely need the involvement of a third team to facilitate the matching of salaries.

In order to take back Conley and Parsons $55M, we'd have to give up Fournier, Vuc, Mozgov, and either Ross or Augustine.  The deal would make us worse, not better.

1 minute ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

In order to take back Conley and Parsons $55M, we'd have to give up Fournier, Vuc, Mozgov, and either Ross or Augustine.  The deal would make us worse, not better.

Honestly I don’t know how much I believe that report. If they are going to tank it doesn’t make  sense for them to trade him... why not keep him and have that money to spend next summer.

The report someone shared last night is kind of the opposite stating that they would be willing to pull a Brooklyn and trade for large contracts so they can spend money later and get draft picks while tanking 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Basically Pairing Isaac, Bamba, and Gordon with Conley will be good for their development because Conley is an all star caliber point guard and above average at everything you'd want from a point guard. He can shepherd the young players into their prime. His contract expires exactly when you'd want it to, the summer of Isaac's restricted free agency where Gordon and Bamba will be expiring contracts going into that year. That's also a good point guard class with all the point guards from the 2017 draft being restricted free agents along with Lillard an some other high profile names. So basically he gives us a hard decision point where we can commit to building around the combination of those guys while simultaneously having a bunch of cap space to fit around them or pack everything in and tank again. And if Conley declines in the last year he's not going to turn into some terrible player. He'd go from a 20 and 6 guy to a 14 and 6 guy. 

I get all your points.  But I don't believe the Isaac, Bamba, and Gordon core is enough of a talent base moving forward.  And aren't we at a hard decision point right now?  Why not tank now to add to that talent base instead of making it an option in another couple of years?  Conley is a horrible idea and screams for desperation to just be mediocre.  

4 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Once you offered them a first round they will take it. Taking Conley’s  salary is big enough for them. 

Gasol might have more value in the league and more desire among other teams and the cost of getting might be higher. They will attach Parson on him. 

Conley and picks

Gasol and Parson

4 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

That's wishful thinking on their part. It makes no sense for them to lose value in a trade by shedding Parsons. They also have no reason to search for cap room this year

5 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I get all your points.  But I don't believe the Isaac, Bamba, and Gordon core is enough of a talent base moving forward.  And aren't we at a hard decision point right now?  Why not tank now to add to that talent base instead of making it an option in another couple of years?  Conley is a horrible idea and screams for desperation to just be mediocre.  

Our players are too good to tank effectively. 

Just now, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

He’d put us in the playoffs this year. I’m sure of that. Also if we don’t get Gordon a bonafide pg to play with we will continue to hinder his development

8 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

We're not at a hard decision point now, no.

Conley isn't a horrible idea. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Our players are too good to tank effectively. 

I agree.  That's why we should be focused on moving Vucevic with any other moveable assets and thinking more macro instead of putting band aids on the big problem which is lack of top end talent.

8 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I agree.  That's why we should be focused on moving Vucevic with any other moveable assets and thinking more macro instead of putting band aids on the big problem which is lack of top end talent.

Nah.