Odin

Trade Thread

Isn’t Matthews in the last year of his contract? What’s the big deal with needing to trade him with DSJ? Doesn’t Fournier have 2 more years left? Why would Dallas want more years? 

The idea is that Dallas is losing about 4 maybe 5 players to free agency. They need a few rotation players after this season. Getting a tall shooting guard that is signed for 2 more years is actually a pretty good idea for them. Right now if they let everybody go they could sign two very large free agent contracts. Chances are they will not have 2 all-stars they can throw that money at. Better to try for one and try again next year or the year after that. 

24 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Isn’t Matthews in the last year of his contract? What’s the big deal with needing to trade him with DSJ? Doesn’t Fournier have 2 more years left? Why would Dallas want more years? 

Supposedly to help them win now and make the playoffs 

44 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

There are few replacement options available. Fournier is locked into to a decent contract keeping them from havinng to overpay one of those guys.

?4TheWin posted a list of those players at some point in this thread.

43 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Yes. But I think there are some issues with him and managment as well. It appears as he doesnt really want to play for them anymore.

and there are some talks about Deandre as well. They already said that they will not  resign him. 

They want to get rid off all those guys that will be issue sorrounding Doncic development or future within the organization.

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

I think Dallas wants some ready to contribute now players. 

I hope we get this done though. Do not let some other team come in and get him.

The main reason I pose that is because Dallas had previous interest in Bamba and the players who we’ve been sitting is Bamba and Simms. Usually if a deal is on the table fo’s  don’t want to risk injury. 

3 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

The main reason I pose that is because Dallas had previous interest in Bamba and the players who we’ve been sitting is Bamba and Simms. Usually if a deal is on the table fo’s  don’t want to risk injury. 

I hope Grant is sitting for the same reason.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

The ringer is obsessed with getting every team looking identical. 

Portland doesn't need to trade cj. They have something that works at a pretty high level. They regularly make the playoffs in the West. They're currently on a stretch where they've won a lot of games. They need small tweaks to make them better, not identity changing moves. 

Also I'm not sure CJ is the right guy to gamble on for us at that price. I think he's a bit overrated after his scoring went from 20 to 23 a few years ago and everyone expected it to keep going positively but it fell back down to 20. I think he's good playing off of Lillard but not considerably different than the Brooklyn point guards. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

For some reason they're interested in obtaining long term guys now vs gambling in free agency

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The ringer is obsessed with getting every team looking identical. 

Portland doesn't need to trade cj. They have something that works at a pretty high level. They regularly make the playoffs in the West. They're currently on a stretch where they've won a lot of games. They need small tweaks to make them better, not identity changing moves. 

Also I'm not sure CJ is the right guy to gamble on for us at that price. I think he's a bit overrated after his scoring went from 20 to 23 a few years ago and everyone expected it to keep going positively but it fell back down to 20. I think he's good playing off of Lillard but not considerably different than the Brooklyn point guards. 

Yeah, I read this and thought "why would either team want to do this?" Honestly, it makes Portland lose what makes them special (yes, we all saw the playoffs last year, but we all know these things can change. Portland could easily be a second round team this year.), and it makes us a worse team, in my opinion. (Gordon + Ross for McCollum and filler is terrible.)

I don't know if it would be a "bad" trade for Portland, but I don't know if it is a trade that immediately and clearly makes them better either. And I think it is a trade that absolutely makes us worse. (Then again, I've never really been a McCollum fan). Portland is sitting in the 4th seed spot right now. Do they really want to mess with that team? Honestly, this seems like a "lose, lose" trade, or at least a "meh, meh" trade.