Odin

Trade Thread

I've already read the reason, and that has actually created my concern. :)

If a great coach like him, is ready to give up on a high valued young guy after only one and half season, that's actually an issue IMO.

But I will still make a move, like the last one you've wrote for example.

Just now, Luke_FfS said:

If a great coach like him, is ready to give up on a high valued young guy after only one and half season, that's actually an issue IMO.

IDK, it's kind of a unique situation to draft a guy and then the next year draft a generational talent at the same position.  The need to move him is kind of understandable, he's not really an off the ball guy.

2 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

It’s the roles. DSJ has to have the ball in his hands which means you take it out of Doncic’s, which would be stupid to do with how good he is with it.

Just now, The Neighborhood Bully said:

If we're willing to trade Bamba for Smith...why didn't we just draft Sexton or SGA?

1. I doubt WeltHam are really pushing to include Bamba; 2. Sexton and SGA seemed to carry slightly lower projections than Smith did the prior year.

Moving Smith via trade in exchange for anything worth a damn might be harder than expected, given his age and abundant potential, and for reasons having nothing to do with an ailing back. At this point in his NBA career, Smith is still pretty butt. He rates as a poor defender by Real Plus-Minus and Defensive Box Plus/Minus, but not catastrophically so. It’s hard to imagine how this wound up being true, but the greater concern is his offense—he was the only player in the NBA last season to produce a true shooting percentage below 48 while also posting a usage rate higher than 28 percent. His efficiency has moved in the right direction this season, as his usage has gone down, but he’s still a low efficiency scorer and a turnover machine, and his true shooting gains aren’t so impressive that a team could feel remotely confident that he’s for sure slated for stardom.

This is an appropriate time to reflect on what a cursed pile of crap the touted 2017 class of elite point guard prospects has been so far. Markelle Fultz’s shoulder is crabmeat and he forgot how to shoot a basketball, and he’s now indefinitely on the shelf; Lonzo Ball’s jumper is unbelievably busted and he’s one of the worst free-throw shooting guards in NBA history; Frank Ntilikina is pathologically passive and probably the least efficient scorer in all of basketball; and Dennis Smith Jr. is already out of Dallas’s long-term plans. Five point guards were selected in the first nine picks in that draft, and only the terrific De’Aaron Fox isn’t already a huge, aching disappointment. Lonzo and Smith still show flashes of potential, but both appear a long way off from justifying their draft position, and both of them stand a fair chance of finishing their rookie contracts on new teams, by which point Fultz and Ntilikina might already be out of the league altogether.

https://deadspin.com/dennis-smith-jr-is-becoming-another-blight-on-the-ball-1831757554

Guys, if I’m a betting man, I think Dallas tries to clear cap space for next summer through this trade. They always like to go after max free agents, and now Luka provides an incentive to sign there. So how can Barnes be added to the mix?