Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

53 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

After watching the growth and value provided by Gordon, Isaac, and iwundu how can you have this opinion?

I would say these guys were drafted on their potential and for the most part say, now that Clifford is here, are back on track regarding their development schedule. IMO, we will see some nice improvement from all three of them next year. Part of me would like to take a guy like Herro who is a solid shooter, but I am hesitant because his defense would probably be a liability. In the end, he would just end up being a role player and for a good team that would be a nice thing to have. However, we are still young and in some ways are still trying to put together a solid core. I would say let's continue to build that core with high potential players and if we are lucky they will blossom into someone legit. Some say we need a PG, or a SG, but I wouldn't pass on a player because we supposedly have someone at that position. When it's time to pick, I say go for whoever has the most potential regardless of position. If they create competition and beat out one of our starters then we will end up having a better starter and a decent guy coming off the bench. That's not a bad thing. 

Is it weird I think Nassir Little ends up our pick? I was just talking with a Tar Heels fan about how he's going to be a mid-round pick (just a feeling we both have that's where he'll go), and I realized he won't fall past Orlando, because he's exactly what we always pick. Raw, good motor, long as hell, needs to learn to shoot. If he's there at 16, I think our FO just calls his name out of reflex.

17 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Is it weird I think Nassir Little ends up our pick? I was just talking with a Tar Heels fan about how he's going to be a mid-round pick (just a feeling we both have that's where he'll go), and I realized he won't fall past Orlando, because he's exactly what we always pick. Raw, good motor, long as hell, needs to learn to shoot. If he's there at 16, I think our FO just calls his name out of reflex.

I don't think he makes it to our pick. But yeah. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, ?4thewin said:

I don't think he makes it to our pick. But yeah. 

I just think there are 8-10 legitimately better picks, and I don't see the teams between 10 and 15 taking him. Maybe Charlotte, if there's not a comparable PG like Garland available, or if they know they're going full rebuild. If the Lakers actually use their pick (doubtful), they're not picking a project; Charlotte may feel the same if they think they can retain Kemba; Miami desperately needs a young PG to groom (my brain refuses to accept Justise Winslow as a PG, so maybe I'm wrong); Boston just has soooo many wings already; and I'll admit Detroit is a weird mystery to me, but he just doesn't seem to fit there (I feel like they value shooting too much to draft Little).

4 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

This is gonna end up a much better draft than many thought

Possibly. I don’t think it’s a bad draft per se, just an extremely top heavy draft. I’d be real mad if we were picking 4th

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Really!?! That's good news. The impression I had was it's not very deep, and that after those at the top many of the players are on the same level into the 2nd round. Glad to see others with a different view. Maybe there is hope for us at 16 after all. :-)

1 minute ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

Really!?! That's good news. The impression I had was it's not very deep, and that after those at the top many of the players are on the same level into the 2nd round. Glad to see others with a different view. Maybe there is hope for us at 16 after all. :-)

I wouldn't say it's a bad draft, but I don't think it is a very deep draft in terms of all-star/starter potential players. I think there are 1-2 guys with all-star potential, another 3-5 with long-term starter potential, and then a whole bunch of guys (15-18) who could have good long careers as role players. In the (in)famous words of our front-office from last year, it flattens out. I think it flattens out to tier 3/4 players much quicker than usual, but that doesn't mean you can't find a rotation-level player fairly deep into the draft. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

No. It's a pretty bad draft. 

Last draft had 27 of the top 50 guys contribute in some significant way immediately. That didn't include 3 top 20 picks who showed talent in brief seasons cut short due to injury. 

This draft has a bunch of guys who are going to be coin flip NBA players. The fact that we can't distinguish between 20 or so guys doesn't mean there's quality depth. A ton of these guys are going to be out of the NBA pretty quickly. 

Lonnie Walker went 18 last year. I think he'd go as high as 5th or 6th this year. 

Rodney Hood went 23 in 2014. He'd go in the lottery in this draft. 

That doesn't mean we can't find a guy. There's always a guy. But we shouldn't have any confidence that we'll get a good player because everyone outside of the top 4 has a reason to be optimistic about them but also a fatal flaw that could kill them in the NBA. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Last draft had 27 of the top 50 guys contribute in some significant way immediately. That didn't include 3 top 20 picks who showed talent in brief seasons cut short due to injury. 

This draft has a bunch of guys who are going to be coin flip NBA players. The fact that we can't distinguish between 20 or so guys doesn't mean there's quality depth. A ton of these guys are going to be out of the NBA pretty quickly. 

Lonnie Walker went 18 last year. I think he'd go as high as 5th or 6th this year. 

That doesn't mean we can't find a guy. There's always a guy. But we shouldn't have any confidence that we'll get a good player because everyone outside of the top 4 has a reason to be optimistic about them but also a fatal flaw that could kill them in the NBA. 

Curious who you would put at 4. I think everybody outside of the top 3 have that flaw. I’m sold on Morant, Zion and RJ

12 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I wouldn't say it's a bad draft, but I don't think it is a very deep draft in terms of all-star/starter potential players. I think there are 1-2 guys with all-star potential, another 3-5 with long-term starter potential, and then a whole bunch of guys (15-18) who could have good long careers as role players. In the (in)famous words of our front-office from last year, it flattens out. I think it flattens out to tier 3/4 players much quicker than usual, but that doesn't mean you can't find a rotation-level player fairly deep into the draft. 

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Whoa! Thanks for the thoughts! How depressing. Still hoping we get lucky. We made the playoffs, so maybe things will go well for us in the draft, too! :-)

Just now, All Eyes On Me said:

Curious who you would put at 4. I think everybody outside of the top 3 have that flaw. I’m sold on Morant, Zion and RJ

I'm very confident that Culver has a floor of something like DeAndre Bembry or Johnathan Simmons before he hurt his wrist and became unplayable. He's flawed but those flaws are going to be the difference between him being a 5th starter or rotation guy or iguodala. 

At the same time I'm not convinced that DeAndre Hunter is anything more than Tony Snell or if he's Justin Anderson or tayshaun prince. 

• Downvote 1