Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

21 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I dont think the Fournier successor will come via Draft. Fournier will likely stay in that role until contract is completed or traded for his eventual successor. 

When contract is completed we can us that money to hire a valuable starting caliber SG in free agency.  

Our pick should be for someone we can develop or use as a rotational player like Iwundu is at the moment.

It makes sense. I know we didn’t do great with Simmons taking Iwindu’s minutes. But he can be shifted around multiple positions  I guess. I just like Wes’ effort as a role player.

8 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I don’t think enough people understand how much a glue guy Wes is.

Yep. Helps the overall defense when you have a guy like him doing great One on one work.

9 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I don’t think enough people understand how much a glue guy Wes is.

He brings a lot of energy and effort. Can grab you 8-10 points or 5-6 boards on a given night. He’ll hit the open three ball with good ball movement. 

21 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

NAW's got the smarts and skills but he's really slow and unathletic.

13 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Who?

Nickeil Alexander-Walker 

1 hour ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

NAW's got the smarts and skills but he's really slow and unathletic.

Eh. He's average. He's no slower or less athletic than brogdon. 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Nickeil Alexander-Walker 

He is not my number one choice but I rather have a Danny Green than a Gerald Green.

As I am looking through a myriad of mock drafts, it seems most of them have the Magic picking a wing player, SG or SF (Basketball Insiders has us going Ty Jerome, 6'5" PG); but I am not so sure. We currently have nine players already under contract:

PG - Augustin/Fultz, SG - Fournier, SF - Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier, PF - Gordon, C - Bamba/Mozgov

And we have five free agents that many of us would like to see come back:

PG - Carter-Williams/Briscoe, SG - Ross, C - Vucevic/Birch

If we re-sign all of them, that only leaves us with one roster spot open for the 1st round pick, and the most glaring opening would be back-up PF. I know we have Isaac swing over there when Gordon goes to the bench, but you need a third player at the position in case one of them is out for any significant amount of time. I actually think that if we can re-sign Martin to a team-friendly contract, we do that instead of re-signing both MCW and Briscoe. In either case, I see us looking harder at some of the combo forwards that may be available:

I think our pick will come from a group containing PJ Washington  6'8"; Grant Williams  6'7"; Cam Johnson 6'8"; Rui Hachimura 6'8"; or my dark horse Talen Horton-Tucker (yes he is only 6'4", but is only 18(still growing?), has a 7' wingspan, 235+ lbs. so he doesn't get pushed around too much, and already plays some small-ball PF)

Yes, we can waive/stretch Mozgov; but I think the front office would rather just get him off the books this one year; I think he gets waived/bought out mid-season to clear a space for a late add during the post all-star game push. 

5 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

As I am looking through a myriad of mock drafts, it seems most of them have the Magic picking a wing player, SG or SF (Basketball Insiders has us going Ty Jerome, 6'5" PG); but I am not so sure. We currently have nine players already under contract:

PG - Augustin/Fultz, SG - Fournier, SF - Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier, PF - Gordon, C - Bamba/Mozgov

And we have five free agents that many of us would like to see come back:

PG - Carter-Williams/Briscoe, SG - Ross, C - Vucevic/Birch

If we re-sign all of them, that only leaves us with one roster spot open for the 1st round pick, and the most glaring opening would be back-up PF. I know we have Isaac swing over there when Gordon goes to the bench, but you need a third player at the position in case one of them is out for any significant amount of time. I actually think that if we can re-sign Martin to a team-friendly contract, we do that instead of re-signing both MCW and Briscoe. In either case, I see us looking harder at some of the combo forwards that may be available:

I think our pick will come from a group containing PJ Washington  6'8"; Grant Williams  6'7"; Cam Johnson 6'8"; Rui Hachimura 6'8"; or my dark horse Talen Horton-Tucker (yes he is only 6'4", but is only 18(still growing?), has a 7' wingspan, 235+ lbs. so he doesn't get pushed around too much, and already plays some small-ball PF)

Yes, we can waive/stretch Mozgov; but I think the front office would rather just get him off the books this one year; I think he gets waived/bought out mid-season to clear a space for a late add during the post all-star game push. 

I don't think we'll look at this pick by position. 

But yeah I think THT could be the pick especially if he drops some weight before the draft. Think he should play at 215

I really do not want another project. I hope they draft a guy that can shoot right now even if he has a low ceiling.

Also i can easily seer the Magic taking a PF or Combo wing if one of the skilled guys drops into their range. Can't teach size and the shooting guards in our draft spot seem underwhelming.