Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Barnabas Smith said:

How deep would you all say the draft is this year?

Considering where we probably will be picking how do you feel our chances are in getting someone who can contribute fairly quickly?

If the chances are pretty low, should we consider trading the pick for a player further along in his development? 

In terms of potential star players, this draft is not remotely deep.  Negatively deep, even.  It's Zion and maybe Ja and then meh.

There are some guys that could fill roles nicely, probably some that could contribute right away, yeah.  But I definitely think the FO will keep all options on the table including shopping the pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barnabas Smith said:

How deep would you all say the draft is this year?

Considering where we probably will be picking how do you feel our chances are in getting someone who can contribute fairly quickly?

If the chances are pretty low, should we consider trading the pick for a player further along in his development?

I don't think we should expect the pick to contribute much next year. It's either going to be a guy that's decent, spends most of the season outside of the rotation but isn't horrible and gives you quality depth or a guy who might be really bad as a rookie but has a good ceiling and it takes a period of time to develop into a reliable player. 

If we get a player ready to contribute on day one I'll be surprised. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think we should expect the pick to contribute much next year. It's either going to be a guy that's decent, spends most of the season outside of the rotation but isn't horrible and gives you quality depth or a guy who might be really bad as a rookie but has a good ceiling and it takes a period of time to develop into a reliable player. 

If we get a player ready to contribute on day one I'll be surprised. 

I would agree, assuming that we make the playoffs and are picking in the 15-17 range. I would say the best chance for picking a true contributor would be if we missed the playoffs and jumped into the top four via the lottery. It might still be possible that someone could fall, and we could get lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Hence my idea of looking for a 3 and D guy, someone who has a specific skill that they are really good at, even if the rest of their game is only average; a situational player that can add depth. 

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would agree, assuming that we make the playoffs and are picking in the 15-17 range. I would say the best chance for picking a true contributor would be if we missed the playoffs and jumped into the top four via the lottery. It might still be possible that someone could fall, and we could get lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Hence my idea of looking for a 3 and D guy, someone who has a specific skill that they are really good at, even if the rest of their game is only average; a situational player that can add depth. 

Yeah it's either that or go after someone like Little who looks like a NBA player but hasn't really found his game at all but is super athletic and an extremely hard worker. 

Or Porter who I can't really figure out

Or we can draft a guy like Cameron Johnson who could be a good bench player right away. Problem is he has a low ceiling and is projected in the second round.

Too bad Coby White has shot up most draft boards. He was a projected mid to late round guard 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Or we can draft a guy like Cameron Johnson who could be a good bench player right away. Problem is he has a low ceiling and is projected in the second round.

Too bad Coby White has shot up most draft boards. He was a projected mid to late round guard 2 months ago.

I still think the draft is going to look completely different than current mocks. 

Zion Morant Barrett Culver is pretty much a lock with the latter 3 going in whatever order. 

But there's really no reason for anyone to draft reddish at all, let alone in the top 10. Yet he's still in there. 

And if you actually describe what Garland is "a 6'2 shooting guard who is great off ball but has limited point guard skills, shouldn't be able to defend anyone, probably projects as a flurry scorer off the bench for a great team because his game is kind of one note, shooting (though that one note is valuable)" is that a guy you spend an early pick on?

Slowly start breaking down guys into what they are vs what people thought they'd be and I wouldn't be shocked if White goes 5th, Langford rehabs his value and goes top 8, and someone like Dylan Windler is a Hail Mary pick in the teens. 

And if you really break it down, why is Tyler Herro a late lotto pick and Cam Johnson a second rounder?

This draft is going to be all over the place. 

53 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I still think the draft is going to look completely different than current mocks. 

Zion Morant Barrett Culver is pretty much a lock with the latter 3 going in whatever order. 

But there's really no reason for anyone to draft reddish at all, let alone in the top 10. Yet he's still in there. 

And if you actually describe what Garland is "a 6'2 shooting guard who is great off ball but has limited point guard skills, shouldn't be able to defend anyone, probably projects as a flurry scorer off the bench for a great team because his game is kind of one note, shooting (though that one note is valuable)" is that a guy you spend an early pick on?

Slowly start breaking down guys into what they are vs what people thought they'd be and I wouldn't be shocked if White goes 5th, Langford rehabs his value and goes top 8, and someone like Dylan Windler is a Hail Mary pick in the teens. 

And if you really break it down, why is Tyler Herro a late lotto pick and Cam Johnson a second rounder?

This draft is going to be all over the place. 

I will take either cam where we sit now in draft

12 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I will take either cam where we sit now in draft

What's Reddish's talent though?

He can't shoot. He can't facilitate. He's a historically bad finisher. He's a below average NBA athlete. What's the upside?

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He can't shoot. He can't facilitate. He's a historically bad finisher. He's a below average NBA athlete. What's the upside?

Why was he highly recruited? I’m assuming whatever the reason he hasn’t delivered. 

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think his shooting will come. Omg I can’t believe I just typed that. Anyway his form is pretty good just needs refining and some restraint on what a good shot selection is. I think he is very athletic. He needs maturity for sure but I see more in him than people seen in josh jackson. 

12 minutes ago, IrishCelticHater said:

Why was he highly recruited? I’m assuming whatever the reason he hasn’t delivered. 

He played point guard in high school.

He was a really good defender.

He sometimes hit pull up deep threes (but not efficiently). He did hit 54% of his threes for the fiba usa u19 team. 

So he was basically supposed to be Spencer Dinwiddie.