Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

12 minutes ago, Barnabas Smith said:

I realize things will change and players will move a bit, but nbadraft.net has Clarke as a 2nd round pick. What draft site do you prefer? 

Nbadraft.net is typically bad because they're not scouts. They're just guys who manage a big board vs other sites where guys go to games, go overseas to tournaments, etc. 

I don't really have a preference anymore but Clarke is going to be a fringe lotto pick. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Barnabas Smith said:

Would you consider a center if Vooch left via free agency? What do you think of Mo Bamba now that we have seen him play a little bit? Do you think he will work out or should we give another guy a try? 

I think there are times when you just need to draft the best player available and worry about the fit or what happens to your existing players at a later date. If there is a centre that we believe has significant upside and can become a special player, then we can't pass on that player because we already have Mo Bamba. Same goes if a can't miss forward falls on our lap, we can't pass on them because we have Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. We aren't in a position to be picky. We have to continue to add franchise changing talent and if that means sacrificing an existing piece to make way for the new talent, so be it. 

39 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

I think there are times when you just need to draft the best player available and worry about the fit or what happens to your existing players at a later date. If there is a centre that we believe has significant upside and can become a special player, then we can't pass on that player because we already have Mo Bamba. Same goes if a can't miss forward falls on our lap, we can't pass on them because we have Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. We aren't in a position to be picky. We have to continue to add franchise changing talent and if that means sacrificing an existing piece to make way for the new talent, so be it. 

Thanks for the thoughts! I think you make a great point because positions are so interchangeable in today's NBA. The guy I really like is Coby White, but he will probably be long gone before we pick. I started looking at mid round guys this morning and was watching highlights of Bol Bol today. I think he very well could be the BPA where we pick. If so, then we should take him even though we have Issaic and Bamba. Since Disney is a sponsor we can call our team, "The attack of the clones." LOL! 

The real thing to remember is we need 9 guys in the rotation and have

Augustin-Fournier-Isaac-Gordon-Bamba

Fultz iwundu as members of the rotation that are guaranteed to be on the roster next season. 

Right now we run a pg x2 wing x3 forwardx2 cx2 rotation but we could run a 2 wing 3 forward rotation if we wanted to. 

13 hours ago, Barnabas Smith said:

Would you consider a center if Vooch left via free agency? What do you think of Mo Bamba now that we have seen him play a little bit? Do you think he will work out or should we give another guy a try? 

I think Bamba’s main concern is motor but he has all the tools to be fantastic.

I want to let Vuc go and re-sign Birch to be our backup. Start Bamba to give him some  important reps

That Duke/UCF game was about a tough a loss as you can get.  I was thinking about all the things that had to go wrong for UCF there down the stretch for it to end the way it did:

• Dawkins drops the alley oop that would put them up 6.
  • Tacko fouls Zion such that the shot can still get up and in.  If he fouls him a) harder, or b) not at all, UCF maintains a favorable point differential and can still win the FT shooting battle.
  • Zion misses the FT and Barrett rebounds, puts it back.  If Zion makes it, UCF gets the last shot and at worst, OT.  If Zion misses it but UCF boxes out, they can still win the FT shooting battle.
  • Taylor & particularly Dawkins miss good looks that roll off at agonizing angles.  Just brutal.

Now, UCF did benefit from the rim/no rim call that was very close.  So that would've changed the game in the opposite direction.  But holy hell, those kids are gonna be heartbroken for a long time.  You'll never get that chance again to take out the tournament favorite in such an early round.

7 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I think Bamba’s main concern is motor but he has all the tools to be fantastic.

I want to let Vuc go and re-sign Birch to be our backup. Start Bamba to give him some  important reps

The concern with letting Vuc go is that he finally made the all star game this year. Now perhaps that was only down to the stars that have gone west, but he's played well this season. Do we bring him back on the basis that this team will kick on with him on it? Does his signature with us make it more likely we could tempt someone else to come play here? Or do we accept that we need to move on from him and go with our young center and bet on him being better? 

The issue I have with the latter is that if Bamba is another Isaac, that's not an all star player. They are good players to have starting, but we would clearly lack a go to player or more consistent offensive outlet. With all due respect to Gordon, Fournier (Ross) and Augustin (Fultz) - they aren't a top there on a good team. I guess adding Vuc doesn't make that significantly better but at least he's a proven near 20 a night guy with proven production. We can make up for any shortfalls elsewhere. Problem with Isaac and Bamba is if they aren't consistent offensive threats, even with good defense, it might be a step backwards. I know the Grizzlies managed to go against the grain for a while with their grinding and smothering approach, but the league has moved on. 

For me I'd hold onto Vuc and retain Bamba as the center off the bench. But if we do let Vuc go, I suspect without any other significant moves or improvement, we'll take a step backwards next season. I'd be aiming to kick on with what we've got and add to it.

29 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

The concern with letting Vuc go is that he finally made the all star game this year. Now perhaps that was only down to the stars that have gone west, but he's played well this season. Do we bring him back on the basis that this team will kick on with him on it? Does his signature with us make it more likely we could tempt someone else to come play here? Or do we accept that we need to move on from him and go with our young center and bet on him being better? 

The issue I have with the latter is that if Bamba is another Isaac, that's not an all star player. They are good players to have starting, but we would clearly lack a go to player or more consistent offensive outlet. With all due respect to Gordon, Fournier (Ross) and Augustin (Fultz) - they aren't a top there on a good team. I guess adding Vuc doesn't make that significantly better but at least he's a proven near 20 a night guy with proven production. We can make up for any shortfalls elsewhere. Problem with Isaac and Bamba is if they aren't consistent offensive threats, even with good defense, it might be a step backwards. I know the Grizzlies managed to go against the grain for a while with their grinding and smothering approach, but the league has moved on. 

For me I'd hold onto Vuc and retain Bamba as the center off the bench. But if we do let Vuc go, I suspect without any other significant moves or improvement, we'll take a step backwards next season. I'd be aiming to kick on with what we've got and add to it.

I dunno man. It’s been mentioned before by someone (probably 4thewin), but the parallels to David Lee in Golden State and Nikola Vucevic here are pretty interesting. Made an all-star team with great individual numbers where their style of play actually hindered the strengths of a lot of guys on the team. We have so many stallions that are meant to run on this team and are asked to stand around and watch the offense run through Vooch. We’ll see, and I’ll support the team regardless, but I could see a future where we’re a better team without Vucevic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

Vuc was an all star for the first couple months. He's been pedestrian over the last 32 games. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I dunno man. It’s been mentioned before by someone (probably 4thewin), but the parallels to David Lee in Golden State and Nikola Vucevic here are pretty interesting. Made an all-star team with great individual numbers where their style of play actually hindered the strengths of a lot of guys on the team. We have so many stallions that are meant to run on this team and are asked to stand around and watch the offense run through Vooch. We’ll see, and I’ll support the team regardless, but I could see a future where we’re a better team without Vucevic.

If we are going to be better without Vooch, I think it's going to have to come through the draft or a trade. Bamba is too weak and raw, and Birch too limited. Can we afford to wait while Bamba develops and builds up his core strength (if he can)?

On a different note, this brings up another question I have and maybe one of you knows. Was there any truth to Bamba being on the trading block? If so, that speaks volumes, to me, about how Weltman and Hammond feel about him now that they have gotten to know him better.