Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

I’m more pumped then ever with this front office. I haven’t seen anyone who mentioned this pick as a viable option, but when I saw his tape, measurements, testimonies and overall game, I was sold. These guys are building something sustainable and special. We will be a destination that young players can trust that they’ll be treated fairly and developed properly. Hopefully with improved handles we got us a Kawhi lite. Now, if we can upgrade our back court we will be making bigger strides. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The issue with Fournier is his player option leaves $17 million on the books as Mosgov and Augustine are rolling off... following (potentially) Vuc and Ross rolling off.  I'm expecting our cap situation to be as good as it is going to get in 2020.  Fournier not being traded clouds that a bit... but the best option may be to hold him till the deadline, hope he rebuilds value and then shop him.

I am OK with Fournier's contract because we are going to have to be wise with our money.  We will now have 3 guys we are high on Fultz, Isaac and Bamba, then add Okeke to the potential list that in the next few years will come off rookie contracts looking to cash in.  We do not know what the dollar payout will be and we have them on relatively cheap rookie contracts.  Look at the Lakers dilemma.  They have two superstars and the debate is add a third and fill the rest of the roster with minimum contracts and have no depth or use the rest of the salary cap to add multiple decent players for depth.  We may need Fournier's money for our own players when the time comes.  Capology is an important management issue.  It is not easy to keep all your good players and I hope we have good money management when the time comes.  I still remember Shaq leaving.  It was not a good time.

• Upvote 1

I like that we're trying to build a high character, hard working, high IQ, team first, good culture squad.

14 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

I’m more pumped then ever with this front office. I haven’t seen anyone who mentioned this pick as a viable option, but when I saw his tape, measurements, testimonies and overall game, I was sold. These guys are building something sustainable and special. We will be a destination that young players can trust that they’ll be treated fairly and developed properly. Hopefully with improved handles we got us a Kawhi lite. Now, if we can upgrade our back court we will be making bigger strides. 

What would be really cool is if he can be developed as a 2 at least on paper. 
Recovered Fultz, Okeke, AG, Isaac, Bamba with any kind of decent bench would be awesome!

7 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

What would be really cool is if he can be developed as a 2 at least on paper. 
Recovered Fultz, Okeke, AG, Isaac, Bamba with any kind of decent bench would be awesome!

Yeah my Hope's keep saying make him a 2 make him a 2 lol 

I am a little confused about Weltman’s reasoning for selling our 2nd. rounder to the Lakers for 2.2 million which they used to sign THT. He said that since we have a lot of youth they didn't just want to sign a BPA guy. The question I have is why sign a bunch of UFAs then? Isn't THT better than them? I realize we have a lot of youth and need camp bodies, etc. but shouldn’t we be looking to upgrade the bottom of our roster too?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oh My Head! said:

I am a little confused about Weltman’s reasoning for selling our 2nd. rounder to the Lakers for 2.2 million which they used to sign THT. He said that since we have a lot of youth they didn't just want to sign a BPA guy. The question I have is why sign a bunch of UFAs then? Isn't THT better than them? I realize we have a lot of youth and need camp bodies, etc. but shouldn’t we be looking to upgrade the bottom of our roster too?

What he meant is that we are in need for specific positional players that can help now. No more developmental players. Guys with experience that can contribute to the roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Oh My Head! said:

Someone made an interesting point to me about this. Maybe the guys they were targeting in the second round looked like they would go undrafted. We did sign some undrafted guys right after the draft.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, HeartAndHustle said:

Someone made an interesting point to me about this. Maybe the guys they were targeting in the second round looked like they would go undrafted. We did sign some undrafted guys right after the draft.

DaQuan Jeffries was projected to go in the 40s and Kevin O'Connor had him as a first rounder. 

He has a decent chance to make the roster. 

Draft Tracker Presented by State Farm

Jeffries_DaQuan_18_153.jpg
DaQuan
Jeffries

Position: SF
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 216 lbs
School/Club: Tulsa
Birthday: 08/30/1997

About DaQuan Jeffries

DaQuan Jeffries is a long, strong swingman who had a breakout senior year showing the ability to space the floor and take the ball strong to the rim before an excellent week at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. An unheralded prospect out of the Edmond Santa Fe High School in the class of 2015, Jeffries started his college career at Oral Roberts averaging 6.7 points per game as a freshman before spending a year at the junior college level with Western Texas. Carved out a key role off the bench for Tulsa in his first year with the program but averaged 13 points and 5.6 rebounds per game putting together a breakout senior year to earn All-AAC 3rd Team honors.

• Has good size for a wing measured at 6’5 in shoes at the Draft Combine, but a terrific 6’11.25 wingspan and a strong 216-pound frame. Powerful and explosive athlete who plays a physical style and can play above the rim impressively with a head of steam.

• Played a significant role for the Golden Hurricanes off the ball. Did much of his scoring as a floor spacer, but also showed the ability to finish emphatically off the ball and make straight-line drives to the rim.

Defensive Analysis

• Capable defender whose combination of length and athleticism is intriguing. Has room to be more aggressive, but flashes the ability to get in the passing lanes and block an occasional shot. Even used verticality to contest on occasion last season. Spent a lot of time playing zone, but has two-way potential.

• Allowed 0.907 points per one-on-one possession gaining quite a bit of experience guarding in the post. 

Career Highlights

• 2018-19 All-AAC Third Team selection as a Senior.
  • Capped his Tulsa career by winning the State Farm College Slam Dunk Contest at the Final Four in Minneapolis.
  • As a Sophomore in 2016-17, voted All-Western Junior College Athletic Conference First Team and All-Region V at Western Texas Community College.
  • Averaged 16.3 points and 7.7 rebounds in three games at the 2019 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. 
  • Upvote 3