Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

7 hours ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

How do you envision us using Washington? 

What do you think about TY Jerome?

I love Ty Jerome but as a second first round pick (which would require a trade that does not look good to happen for us).  16 is a little too high for him but whoever gets him (Boston?) is going to get a really good second team player.  I think we can get a potential starter at SG at 16.  Would love Admiral Schofield in round 2 if possible.  Another player that whoever gets him will be pleasantly surprised. 

• Upvote 1

I have no idea how summer league rosters get filled but I would love to see Michael Daum (South Datota State grad) have a chance on the Magic summer league roster.  Love his game and it would be great to see him have a chance.

8 hours ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

How do you envision us using Washington? 

What do you think about TY Jerome?

On Washington, I think he can play 3/4 and some small ball 5. He's got a great motor and he can score from anywhere on the court. So he'd kind of just rotate with Isaac/AG for the majority of the time but you could also run all 3 and switch a lot. Obviously I'm aware we need guard help more than another forward but we also need scoring and shooting which he provides in abundance. 

I like Ty Jerome. I don't like him as much as NAW though because his lack of athleticism means he struggles to get to the rim even in college. He's also got a low release point on his jumper which might be an issue when he's being guarded by more athletic players. He sees and understands the game so well though, 5.5/1.6 AST/TO is great, and he did shoot nearly 40% from 3 this past year. He's the kind of guy that could flourish when used to his strengths if drafted by the right organisation.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I could see us drafting NAW or Washington. Both fit our profile. I lean towards NAW because we’re weakest at guard, but Washington could rotate with Isaac and Gordon at the forward spots.

I definitely understand wanting guard over another forward. And I even understand wanting NAW over PJ Washington to be honest they've both got a lot to offer and they're at a similar level on my board, I've seen a lot more of Washington in games so I favour him of the two just slightly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

That must bode well for the developmental guys we have like Frazier and Jefferson. If they weren't progressing then I suppose we would be trying to bring in someone new.

Do you realize that Jefferson is already 26? and Frazier will be 23 in August.  We have players like Bamba, Fultz, Isaac that needs more work with their development.  We will likely continue working with guys like Iwundu and Frazier for one more year. The true young developmental player will likely come from this year draft class. 

My favorite part of this whole pre-draft period has been ~60% of mocks slotting us to take Herro, the exact antithesis of the type of player Weltman and Hammond have drafted exclusively for years.  The articles will even mention that!  Something like: "The Magic need shooting and Herro delivers on that in spades.  He doesn't fit the typical Hammond mold, but maybe this is when they make an exception."

Spoiler: they won't make an exception.  You don't just abandon your entire philosophy all of the sudden.  I mean they *might* do it if the prospect has a transcendent skill set that offsets their lack of length, but... it's Tyler Herro.  He's not an outlier shooter.  He won't be able to guard.  We're not picking him.

12 minutes ago, ML6 said:

My favorite part of this whole pre-draft period has been ~60% of mocks slotting us to take Herro, the exact antithesis of the type of player Weltman and Hammond have drafted exclusively for years.  The articles will even mention that!  Something like: "The Magic need shooting and Herro delivers on that in spades.  He doesn't fit the typical Hammond mold, but maybe this is when they make an exception."

Spoiler: they won't make an exception.  You don't just abandon your entire philosophy all of the sudden.  I mean they *might* do it if the prospect has a transcendent skill set that offsets their lack of length, but... it's Tyler Herro.  He's not an outlier shooter.  He won't be able to guard.  We're not picking him.

Yea I agree with this. If we desperately want shooting enough to go against our entire philosophy Kyle Guy will be available either in the 2nd round or as a UFA. He's an elite 3 point shooter. Actually a better one than Herro.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

Do you realize that Jefferson is already 26? and Frazier will be 23 in August.  We have players like Bamba, Fultz, Isaac that needs more work with their development.  We will likely continue working with guys like Iwundu and Frazier for one more year. The true young developmental player will likely come from this year draft class. 

I don't think we count Isaac as a developmental guy anymore. Developmental guys are guys who aren't a part of the rotation, we're just holding onto them hoping that we can develop them. 

I do figure they'd still believe in Frazier though and we're probably bringing back briscoe. Two way guys don't really count because they aren't taking up spots for real players. 

So pick 16, Fultz, Bamba, Frazier, briscoe is 5 guys. That's a third of the roster. That's about as much as you want. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

I'd understand if we were sitting there desperately needing shooting and he was the only NBA caliber shooter in the entire draft left available.

I just don't understand why people push Herro when Cam Johnson exists

17 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

If it comes down to NAW or KPJ I'm having a really difficult time figuring out what we should do. 

I'm thinkin KPJ - What makes no sense is he shot 52% on 2p and 41% on 3p but only 52% at the line - i think that will go up over time.

• Downvote 1