Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

19 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Any updates after the combine and interviews? Who dropped? Who moved up? who has, still, a lot of question marks? 

Tyler Herro is working out for us. I really don't want him on Orlando but I guess WeltHam is just keeping their options open

I just watched some Herro highlights to try to keep an open mind. All he really has on his mixtape us him hitting open 3's, layups in transition, or cooking defenders from small D1 schools. He's a tenacious defender and can shoot, but he doesn't fit the overall direction and philosophy of the team (won't be able to defend NBA players, short wingspan, etc.). It's a no from me

13 minutes ago, andrew2018022 said:

I just watched some Herro highlights to try to keep an open mind. All he really has on his mixtape us him hitting open 3's, layups in transition, or cooking defenders from small D1 schools. He's a tenacious defender and can shoot, but he doesn't fit the overall direction and philosophy of the team (won't be able to defend NBA players, short wingspan, etc.). It's a no from me

We'll work out a lot of guys. Some who are obvious fits. Some who aren't. 

The last two drafts we picked guys we interviewed at the combine but didn't work out at all. 

17 hours ago, andrew2018022 said:

I was high on Hero until I saw his wingspan. 

Given his size and length, Alexander-Walker should be capable of defending both wing spots. In due time, once he adds muscle — he was often overpowered when guarding bigger/stronger guys — he might periodically slide down to the block and hold his own against 4s (perhaps only sparingly), given his 6-foot-9.5 wingspan. He’s also shown a knack for effectively navigating on-ball screens, long a valuable trait in the NBA.

He isn’t without flaws, though. Quick-twitch movements give him issues, sometimes caught with heavy feet when reacting to zippy guards or wings — a product of his subpar athleticism and lateral agility. His closeouts are unreliable and generally erratic, failing to contain the shooter. If he doesn’t add the requisite strength to match up with 3s, some of that multipositional upside fades away.

But I’m confident he’ll pack on functional weight; most guys do. The consistent diagnosis of plays off the ball is distinct, too. He’s the type of guy who might never make an appearance on All-Defensive teams but is routinely referred to as a good defender and continues to sign new contracts in part because of it.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker is a good basketball player. Watch a handful of his games and it’s easy to discern that. Because of that, he’s going to be a rotation player in the NBA. He might be more and some people and teams will likely view him as deserving of a top-20 pick. I am not one of those people. His offensive game, while intriguing and well-rounded from a birds-eye perspective, has troubling warts — notably a lack of ideal burst, finishing ability and decision-making/versatility as a passer. He could very well improve on those shortcomings to the point of making me eat crow. The defense is a major selling point, too.

Consider me doubtful that his athleticism ever reaches the point it needs to for the other parts of his game to truly shine through. As such, I’m left analyzing a player whom I know is good at basketball but one who I don’t think has enough translatable skills to be a top-20 selection in this year’s NBA Draft.

https://fansided.com/2019/05/22/nickeil-alexander-walker-nba-impact/

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

It's kind of funny. He's down on him because he's probably not a starter, just a good rotation player who is smart and good at a lot of stuff. 

I'm high on him because he's got a high likelihood of being a really good rotation player who is smart and good at a lot of stuff. 

In a normal draft taking him at 16 would be a disappointment but we don't need to apply normal draft rules to this draft and take a higher risk/reward guy just because we're picking at 16. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:11 PM, andrew2018022 said:

Tyler Herro is working out for us. I really don't want him on Orlando but I guess WeltHam is just keeping their options open

Curious. When we work guys out, do we get to choose who to work them out with? People are talking about his wingspan. Let's see if he can get a shot off against some of our best defenders. 

48 minutes ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

Curious. When we work guys out, do we get to choose who to work them out with? People are talking about his wingspan. Let's see if he can get a shot off against some of our best defenders. 

Not usually. Remember most of our guys are "on vacation", so they would have to be willing to come in to participate. I'm not sure if their contracts even allow for this, they may not. 

Also, the potential draftee would have to be willing to work out with/against them. Most agents discourage their clients from doing this. The higher the pick, the less likely they would participate in that kind of work-out. That's why you see so few top-20 players participating in the combine. Usually you can only get that kind of work-out if you are having several 2nd round potential picks in at the same time - and again, they are usually only working them out together, not against current players. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

Not usually. Remember most of our guys are "on vacation", so they would have to be willing to come in to participate. I'm not sure if their contracts even allow for this, they may not. 

Also, the potential draftee would have to be willing to work out with/against them. Most agents discourage their clients from doing this. The higher the pick, the less likely they would participate in that kind of work-out. That's why you see so few top-20 players participating in the combine. Usually you can only get that kind of work-out if you are having several 2nd round potential picks in at the same time - and again, they are usually only working them out together, not against current players. 

Also, in the case of someone like Herro, we don't really have a current player we could have him "try to get a shot off against our better defenders". Gordon or Isaac aren't really fair, as they are combo/PF forwards, and you are working out a guard. Iwundu's contract isn't guaranteed yet, so he is out; Ross, Grant, Caupain, and MCW are free agents, so they are out: Fultz is injured, he's out; so that leaves Augustin and Fournier, neither of whom is known for their defensive prowess. Frazier is a SF, so that is a maybe, but how much will that really tell you?

Literally nobody is mocking us anything but guards. Which is fair from a team building perspective but completely underestimates the fact that BPA is always the way to go. There are 144 front court minutes a game to go around and just because we have AG/JI/Bamba doesn't mean we're in a position to pass on talent. That's why I stand by PJ Washington as my favourite pick (assuming Langford is gone). A guy who scores from all over the court like he does with his athleticism and length, I honestly can't imagine him failing to have a long career. You could rotate he, Isaac and AG pretty fluidly and he gives you some bench scoring which we could always use more of. Id be surprised if he couldn't at least have a career like the Morris Twins which in a draft like this, at pick 16, isn't a terrible outcome.