Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Man! I just realized. Herro’s wingspan is a brutal 6’3!! Ouch.. that would not hold. And I was high on this guy. But at 6’5 with that wingspan there is a chance he will not be picked in the first round at all.

Can he play basketball?  Idc if he has T. rex arms if he can ball!!!

Last time I checked there is a lot of hall of famers that aren’t in the wingspan hof. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Man! I just realized. Herro’s wingspan is a brutal 6’3!! Ouch.. that would not hold. And I was high on this guy. But at 6’5 with that wingspan there is a chance he will not be picked in the first round at all.

He'll go to Golden State, Houston, or Portland and it will all work out for him. Adding a (potentially elite) shooter to an already elite offense works better than playing him on a team that requires elite team defense to have any chance at modest success. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He'll go to Golden State, Houston, or Portland and it will all work out for him. Adding a (potentially elite) shooter to an already elite offense works better than playing him on a team that requires elite team defense to have any chance at modest success. 

You have to put the ball in the basket. One of the main reasons this team struggled mightily against Toronto. You can have great defense but you still have to score.

But if your looking for modest success. Then idk what to say. 

Shoot for the stars or always remain grounded. With modest success. Lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

You have to put the ball in the basket. One of the main reasons this team struggled mightily against Toronto. You can have great defense but you still have to score.

But if your looking for modest success. Then idk what to say. 

Shoot for the stars or always remain grounded. With modest success. Lol

Team building philosophy still matters. You can't just draft a bunch of guys and throw them together without a plan. 

Yeah, sure, shoot for the stars. Herro isn't a star. He's Seth Curry. You want to break team cohesion for Seth Curry? Really?

20 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Team cohesion does not end with a guy that can’t shoot and score. I don’t know about Herro. But we need a scorer Period!

We need guys who can play both ways unless they're difference making offensive players. Like Lillard doesnt fit our philosophy but he's good enough that you adapt your plan to fit him. 

There's probably not that guy in this draft and you'd hate all of the potential scorers in our range because they can't shoot yet. 

Garland might fall and I'd take him because he's going to be somewhere on the monk-Ben Gordon-Lillard spectrum but thats mostly because he's a relative unknown. He might never play for us. But the difference in Garland and Herro is Herro is a spot up shooter in the NBA while Garland is a pull up shooter. Garland can create shooting opportunities while Herro is going to rely on an offense to create that opportunity for him. 

I really like AG, JI, Iwundu, and Bamba and get the concept of drafting very good athletes who are long and play defense better than they play offense, but by the time one of our guys actually becomes a good shooter, I won't be around. I realize there probably isn't much we can do about it with our cap situation and where we are picking in the draft, but I am getting a little impatient. I believe good times are ahead of us, though. Now, we need a little **MAGIC** to help us along. :-)

5 minutes ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

I really like AG, JI, Iwundu, and Bamba and get the concept of drafting very good athletes who are long and play defense better than they play offense, but by the time one of our guys actually becomes a good shooter, I won't be around. I realize there probably isn't much we can do about it with our cap situation and where we are picking in the draft, but I am getting a little impatient. I believe good times are ahead of us, though. Now, we need a little **MAGIC** to help us along. :-)

The main idea is you draft for upside, you can sign skills. 

Saying "we need shooting so let's draft shooters" is how Kennard and Monk end up going over Donovan Mitchell. And there's often an expectation that shooting is always going to translate immediately but we've seen a ton of probable elite shooters struggle to translate that aspect of their game to the NBA. stauskas shot 44% from 3 in college but didn't shoot above average until year 4. Monk shot 40% in college but is still at 33.5%. then there's hezonja...

If you're looking to draft a guy that only does one thing well, why not just about using that draft pick and sign a guy that does the same thing? Especially when you know it's going to take a while to even develop that role player. Look at how teams got Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Bryn Forbes, bojan bogdanovic, Monte Morris, Doug McDermott, Bjelica, Mike Scott, Kyle korver, Patty Mills, Joe Ingles, etc. Cheap in free agency at least at first. Why waste an early-ish pick on a role player with uncertainty when you can just sign Seth Curry for 2 years and 12 million this summer and get a guaranteed 44% shooter over the life of that contract. 

• Upvote 1

I like Herro but I can’t  see him succeed in defense with that wingspan. I was very high in him and never ever imagined this. After me going back and forth defending him. 

Typical normal wingspan is 2 inches above your high. He is, what? 6’5” with a 6’3” wingspan. That is bad.  Chris Paul, johnny flynn and mike Conley( all under 6 feet tall) have a longer wingspan. 

Heck, Isaiah thomas at 5’8” has a  wingspan one inch shorter than him. 

Now, kyrie and Kemba also has wingspan at around or slightly above 6’3” but they are PG’s not SG’s. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Team cohesion does not end with a guy that can’t shoot and score. I don’t know about Herro. But we need a scorer Period!

I agree. Reason why I wanted Herro but no way we can have I guy with that size. He is really a 6’1-6’2 SG. It is an undersize SG. Reminds me of a Jimmer Fredette. Jimmer is smaller at 6’0 but longer wingspan at 6’4.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

We need guys who can play both ways unless they're difference making offensive players. Like Lillard doesnt fit our philosophy but he's good enough that you adapt your plan to fit him. 

There's probably not that guy in this draft and you'd hate all of the potential scorers in our range because they can't shoot yet. 

Garland might fall and I'd take him because he's going to be somewhere on the monk-Ben Gordon-Lillard spectrum but thats mostly because he's a relative unknown. He might never play for us. But the difference in Garland and Herro is Herro is a spot up shooter in the NBA while Garland is a pull up shooter. Garland can create shooting opportunities while Herro is going to rely on an offense to create that opportunity for him. 

Not to push my guy too heavily, but Porter Jr. is a shooter who can get his own shot off the dribble. He’s not a perfect fit for our team philosophy, but his ability to defend 2’s and 3’s make him interesting enough to pull the trigger, and he seems to have the athletic tools to improve on defense