Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

Looking at a mix of BPA and our roster makeup I think our front office will concentrate on guys that can play two positions, whether that is a 2/3, a 3/4, or possibly a 4/5. Our current roster under contract for next season is as follows:

PG - Augustin/Fultz

SG - Fournier

SF - Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier (Iwundu not yet guaranteed, team option $1.62M)

PF - Gordon

C - Bamba/Mozgov

We currently have Grant, Martin, and Birch as restricted free agents (RFA) that we have the right to match. We also have Ross and Vucevic as free agents that we can offer an extra year. I think that is true of Carter-Williams also, though I am not sure. Management has also expressed interest in re-signing Briscoe. Assuming that we guarantee Iwundu, re-sign Birch, and either MCW or Briscoe that brings us to eleven players and leaves obvious holes at backup SG and PF (I know Isaac plays a lot of PF too, but we still need a third guy). My next assumption is we try to re-sign Ross, that would bring us up to twelve. I think Martin is worth a new contract, if we can get him at a reasonable price. He hasn't really had a lot of time on the floor to show us what he has, but I've been relatively pleased with what we have seen. That would bring us up to 13 contracts, and give us at least two at each position. My thought is that if we are not re-signing Vucevic, then we are probably going to use the MLE to bring in a veteran to start the season/mentor Bamba/Birch rather than draft another center or PF/C; which brings us up to 14. (Personally wouldn't mind seeing Speights come back). That would look like this:

PG - Augustin/Fultz/MCW(or Briscoe)

SG - Fournier/Ross

SF -  Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier

PF - Gordon/Martin

C - MLE/Bamba/Birch/Mozgov

And would only leave us with one roster spot open for the #16 pick to fill; and the most obvious depth "issues" at the SG or the PF position. I think Nickeil Alexander-Walker is a good bet if we are looking for a 2/3, PJ Washington if we are looking for more of a 4/3.

This is also part of my thought behind Talen Horton-Tucker, as he is primarily a 2/3, but with the length/build to play some small-ball PF, and the handles to even slide to PG for some big lineups, especially if he was playing with another ball-handler like Fultz or MCW; though his shot would need improvement for those. 

We could open up another roster spot by waiving and stretching Mozgov before the season, or "save" that spot and waive him later in the year to sign someone late, a la MCW this year. The benefit of waiting is that if we can manage to stay under the luxury tax and pay Mozgov only this year, it opens up more cap space in 2020 and 2021. We could also waive Frazier if he hasn't made much improvement, as it is a cheap contract to eat and only one year left on it. 

If Garland falls to us do we have a decent consensus that he should be the pick? 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, ML6 said:

If Garland falls to us do we have a decent consensus that he should be the pick? 

It depends on who else is there but probably. He seems like a good enough offensive player to buck trends unless you think there's a guy available that is a definite starter.

I don't think Garland is a starter or really a point guard but he gives you offense off the bench. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

No question about it. He wil be the best player available. You worry about roster moves later on. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Looking at a mix of BPA and our roster makeup I think our front office will concentrate on guys that can play two positions, whether that is a 2/3, a 3/4, or possibly a 4/5. Our current roster under contract for next season is as follows:

PG - Augustin/Fultz

SG - Fournier

PF - Gordon

C - Bamba/Mozgov

We currently have Grant, Martin, and Birch as restricted free agents (RFA) that we have the right to match. We also have Ross and Vucevic as free agents that we can offer an extra year. I think that is true of Carter-Williams also, though I am not sure. Management has also expressed interest in re-signing Briscoe. Assuming that we guarantee Iwundu, re-sign Birch, and either MCW or Briscoe that brings us to eleven players and leaves obvious holes at backup SG and PF (I know Isaac plays a lot of PF too, but we still need a third guy). My next assumption is we try to re-sign Ross, that would bring us up to twelve. I think Martin is worth a new contract, if we can get him at a reasonable price. He hasn't really had a lot of time on the floor to show us what he has, but I've been relatively pleased with what we have seen. That would bring us up to 13 contracts, and give us at least two at each position. My thought is that if we are not re-signing Vucevic, then we are probably going to use the MLE to bring in a veteran to start the season/mentor Bamba/Birch rather than draft another center or PF/C; which brings us up to 14. (Personally wouldn't mind seeing Speights come back). That would look like this:

SG - Fournier/Ross

PF - Gordon/Martin

And would only leave us with one roster spot open for the #16 pick to fill; and the most obvious depth "issues" at the SG or the PF position. I think Nickeil Alexander-Walker is a good bet if we are looking for a 2/3, PJ Washington if we are looking for more of a 4/3.

This is also part of my thought behind Talen Horton-Tucker, as he is primarily a 2/3, but with the length/build to play some small-ball PF, and the handles to even slide to PG for some big lineups, especially if he was playing with another ball-handler like Fultz or MCW; though his shot would need improvement for those. 

We could open up another roster spot by waiving and stretching Mozgov before the season, or "save" that spot and waive him later in the year to sign someone late, a la MCW this year. The benefit of waiting is that if we can manage to stay under the luxury tax and pay Mozgov only this year, it opens up more cap space in 2020 and 2021. We could also waive Frazier if he hasn't made much improvement, as it is a cheap contract to eat and only one year left on it. 

I think Iwundu will need to learn to play the SG position. He needs to work on his shooting skills in the off season. Hopefully comes as a threat 3 point shooter. Just like Pietrus did. 

I agree with mostly everything you said except I expect Fultz to start over DJ. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

I think Iwundu will need to learn to play the SG position. He needs to work on his shooting skills in the off season. Hopefully comes as a threat 3 point shooter. Just like Pietrus did. 

I agree with mostly everything you said except I expect Fultz to start over DJ. 

I expect Fulton to start at some point, but not necessarily at the beginning of the season.

Im all aboard Kevin Porter Jnr or Tyler Herro. We need some offense badly. Although if i was a betting man i would put money on Thybulle. 

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

PG - Augustin/Fultz

SG - Fournier

PF - Gordon

C - Bamba/Mozgov

SG - Fournier/Ross

PF - Gordon/Martin

We could open up another roster spot by waiving and stretching Mozgov before the season, or "save" that spot and waive him later in the year to sign someone late, a la MCW this year. The benefit of waiting is that if we can manage to stay under the luxury tax and pay Mozgov only this year, it opens up more cap space in 2020 and 2021. We could also waive Frazier if he hasn't made much improvement, as it is a cheap contract to eat and only one 

10 hours ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

Maybe Amile Jefferson can slide in to Martins role.

I think it will depend on price. Martin has shooting skills that Jefferson doesn’t. 

Man! I just realized. Herro’s wingspan is a brutal 6’3!! Ouch.. that would not hold. And I was high on this guy. But at 6’5 with that wingspan there is a chance he will not be picked in the first round at all.