Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

18 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Curious who you would put at 4. I think everybody outside of the top 3 have that flaw. I’m sold on Morant, Zion and RJ

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm very confident that Culver has a floor of something like DeAndre Bembry or Johnathan Simmons before he hurt his wrist and became unplayable. He's flawed but those flaws are going to be the difference between him being a 5th starter or rotation guy or iguodala. 

At the same time I'm not convinced that DeAndre Hunter is anything more than Tony Snell or if he's Justin Anderson or tayshaun prince. 

I think Zion and Ja have multiple-time, all-star potential. I think Barrett, Garland, Hunter, Culver, and White all have long-term starter upside/possible all-star potential. Beyond that, I think it is a bit of a crap-shoot - lots of guys who could be long-term rotation/roll players, but not sure about much more. As I have said before, I think Talen Horton-Tucker is a dark horse to become an impact player. If I'm just looking at potential, and not necessarily fit, I think I take a long look at him. At just 18, he does a lot of things really well, and WeltHam do love wingspan! I also think Kevin Porter, Jr has a lot of talent, but there have been some red flags about him, that I think would require a good, long look and tough interview process. If Porter is still available at 16, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him; and I would have to trust our front-office has done that due diligence. 

33 minutes ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

Whoa! Thanks for the thoughts! How depressing. Still hoping we get lucky. We made the playoffs, so maybe things will go well for us in the draft, too! :-)

It's not really depressing. Just need to manage expectations. It's all guys who need a lot of development so we shouldn't expect them to be in the rotation until the following year or they're guys who are more ready to play today but are probably only going to be high level backups or really unique prospects that are difficult to project or a guy like Kevin Porter who might be the 2nd or 3rd most talented guy in the draft but has questionable character concerns. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not really depressing. Just need to manage expectations. It's all guys who need a lot of development so we shouldn't expect them to be in the rotation until the following year or they're guys who are more ready to play today but are probably only going to be high level backups or really unique prospects that are difficult to project or a guy like Kevin Porter who might be the 2nd or 3rd most talented guy in the draft but has questionable character concerns. 

Good point. I just get impatient sometimes. I want us to run, when we are in some ways still learning to walk. 

On a different note: How are the European players this year? Are there any sleepers, not quite on the radar, that could surprise? I am guessing that the scouts have pretty much everybody on their radar, but I can dream, can't I?

8 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think Zion and Ja have multiple-time, all-star potential. I think Barrett, Garland, Hunter, Culver, and White all have long-term starter upside/possible all-star potential. Beyond that, I think it is a bit of a crap-shoot - lots of guys who could be long-term rotation/roll players, but not sure about much more. As I have said before, I think Talen Horton-Tucker is a dark horse to become an impact player. If I'm just looking at potential, and not necessarily fit, I think I take a long look at him. At just 18, he does a lot of things really well, and WeltHam do love wingspan! I also think Kevin Porter, Jr has a lot of talent, but there have been some red flags about him, that I think would require a good, long look and tough interview process. If Porter is still available at 16, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him; and I would have to trust our front-office has done that due diligence. 

I like THT because he's good at a lot of stuff. And you don't usually see 6'4 235 pound shooting guards with a 7'1 wingspan and point guard skills. 

I want to see what that becomes. 

If you told me he lost 20 pounds preparing for the draft and improved his shot I'd take him 6th. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I like THT because he's good at a lot of stuff. And you don't usually see 6'4 235 pound shooting guards with a 7'1 wingspan and point guard skills. 

I want to see what that becomes. 

If you told me he lost 20 pounds preparing for the draft and improved his shot I'd take him 6th. 

That's part of what I like too, is that unusual mix. They were primarily using him at the small forward, and even some at the power forward. With his length and heft, he played well beyond his height. I don't really think he has that much weight to lose, he is just a thicker body type - sort of like Jameer Nelson's frame instead of Daryl Armstrong's. I think if you get him in the weight room, he only nets out 5-10 pounds lighter, with the rest going into improved muscle-tone/strength. I am a little concerned about his shot, but he's definitely got an interesting skill-set beyond that. And a 6'4", 230-pound, muscular SG/SF with a 7"1" wingspan who might even be able to play some backup PG and some small-ball PF would be a heck of an addition. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

After watching the growth and value provided by Gordon, Isaac, and iwundu how can you have this opinion?

All 3 of them are definitely getting better but are still projects as far as shooting. I'd love to draft somebody that can ALREADY SHOOT for a change :D

3 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

All 3 of them are definitely getting better but are still projects as far as shooting. I'd love to draft somebody that can ALREADY SHOOT for a change :D

Yeah but I'm just not sure we should have prerequisites for draft picks. Just pick the best guy that fits our team philosophy 

9 hours ago, ChuckTaylor626 said:

Really!?! That's good news. The impression I had was it's not very deep, and that after those at the top many of the players are on the same level into the 2nd round. Glad to see others with a different view. Maybe there is hope for us at 16 after all. :-)

I think it's a draft like 2013 where certain guys oan out that are picked outside the lottery.

I'm in THT club. I think his stock could rise massively in the next few months though. After that I'm not sure. I might be on team trade until I learn more about this draft class.

I stilI think we should trade the pick with Fournier to get a go-to-scorer. Maybe Washington would listen to a offer for Beal or the Bulls for LaVine.

We also shouldn‘t overpay for Vuc. If he wants more than 15mil we should sign another free agent (Brook Lopez, Valanciunas, Kanter, McGee, Robin Lopez, Ed Davis...) There are enough options available.

Same with Ross. I would hate to lose him. But if the price is more than 12mil we should pass. With Redick, Danny Green, Hood, Lamb... there are also some other options available.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, matthi32 said:

I stilI think we should trade the pick with Fournier to get a go-to-scorer. Maybe Washington would listen to a offer for Beal or the Bulls for LaVine.

We also shouldn‘t overpay for Vuc. If he wants more than 15mil we should sign another free agent (Brook Lopez, Valanciunas, Kanter, McGee, Robin Lopez, Ed Davis...) There are enough options available.

Same with Ross. I would hate to lose him. But if the price is more than 12mil we should pass. With Redick, Danny Green, Hood, Lamb... there are also some other options available.

Between the 2 I'd over pay TRoss. He turned a lot of games for us. 

Behind Vuc we have Birch and Bamba.

Behind TRoss we have nobody that can do what he does so well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matthi32 said:

It feels like we are going to lose one of the two. It also seems like we have to replace them with the mid-level exception.

It's really too early go through the salary cap gymnastics of free agency, so i won't. Now that we have had some success it's time to start clearing out the chaff and bring in players who have done something in this league. Spurs are a good example. We tried to get a player like Aldridge or Milsap and failed.

No choice there. We haven't tried enough for a good scoring veteran like Gay or a second round gem like White. It's about time we either get lucky or get smart in the next two years and find our complimentary players.