Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

8 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Saw him on sports center the other day. Looks like more publicity will get him drafted.

I agree.  He is flying under the radar and can help someone.   A basketball pedigree and too good of a shooter to be ignored.

I am kind of assuming that we are looking for a PG or a Wing in this draft. So for this draft there are three real possibilities of where we end up drafting in the first round, and one quite unlikely possibility:

1) We make the playoffs - this means that if we have the worst record among playoff teams, we would pick 15th. Odds are good even if we make it as the 6th seed, we would still have a worse record than the Western Conference #8 seed, so in the "make the playoffs" scenario we end up picking between 15th - 17th. Options there may include Nickeil Alexander-Walker, KZ Okpala, Kevin Porter, Coby White, Tre Jones, Ayo Dosunmu. 

2) We just miss the playoffs - this means if we don't get lucky in the lottery, we end up picking in the 10th-14th range. Options there may include De'Andre Hunter, Keldon Johnson, and maybe Darius Garland or Jarrett Culver. Also, any of the players listed above as non-lottery.

3) We miss the playoffs, get lucky in the lottery and end up picking in the 2nd-4th range. Our options then will include at least one of RJ Barrett, Ja Morant, Cameron Reddish, and should also include Romeo Langford, Nassir Little, and any players I mentioned above. 

4) Unlikely possibility - we miss the playoffs, win the lottery and end up picking Zion Williamson #1. 

Now, my picks for each scenario depend on some other assumptions, and things we might see. Assumption #1 - we manage to re-sign TRoss to a new contract, and Assumption #2 - we see signs of Fultz becoming 70% or more of what people thought coming out of college. My second pick in each scenario is a Fultz recovery of less than 70%. My third is a Fultz bust (I don't think it likely, but prepare for anything) or BPA. The higher I am picking, the more likely I am to pick BPA regardless of need.

1) Nickeil Alexander-White, Coby White, Tre Jones 

2) Jarrett Culver, Darius Garland, Keldon Johnson (if Culver/Garland both gone BPA)

3) Ja Morant, RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish (BPA) 

4) Zion Williamson (might trade for assets + top 4 pick this year)

• Upvote 3

Dark Horse pick - Talen Horton-Tucker - a 6'4" 239 lb. utility man. ESPN ranks him as #6 SF, #21 overall and says this about him. 

"Pre-Draft Analysis

A hefty playmaker who can shift anywhere from floor general to power forward. He's competitive and powerful with an excellent feel for the game, polished handle and developing 3-point stroke. 

Despite standing 3.5 inches shorter, Horton-Tucker compares favorably by other measurables to Draymond Green, and his ability to slide up to the 4 on defense yet operate as a point guard on offense could make him appealing to outside-the-box front offices."

I could see us picking him if Fultz is playing well, and we are in the 16th-17th slot. 

Hey question for you all. With the Zion hype for the draft, and the Davis story dominating the NBA, who has been the biggest hyped draft prospect since Lebron?

Was it Davis? Is it Zion now? Just curious what people think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Hey question for you all. With the Zion hype for the draft, and the Davis story dominating the NBA, who has been the biggest hyped draft prospect since Lebron?

Wiggins, Doncic also up there

5 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Eh I'd say Zion but Zion still only gets 1/10th of the publicity that LBJ got. LBJ has been talked about as the next Jordan since his junior year. 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Greg oden was talked about a ton. We knew about him back when he was an 8th grader

Yeah. He was a year older than me. My friend played against him in a tournament.  Said all he did was dunk

16 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I'd say since Lebron:

1) Zion

2) Wiggins

3) Oden

4) Davis

5) Doncic (I think there was hype but there was also pause because of how young he is and how other internationals have flopped)

Other notables: Carmelo Anthony (got lost a bit in the James hype), DeAndre Ayton, Ben Simmons, Lonzo Ball (purely because of his dad)

I think Wiggins challenges Zion. Yeah Zion has become something else during the season, but before that people were calling Barrett the number one overall guy. Wiggins was like the surefire number one pick for something like two straight years