Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

I know he’s viewed as an unathletic white boy, but I love Ty Jerome. I think he’s going to play in the league for a decade and be a great team player/winner for whoever has the balls to draft him. The guy plays his guts out on both ends, has great size for a point, is passionate, has excellent vision, is great with the ball, can shoot, and can play the hell out of some basketball. If we end up picking in the teens I think he’d be a great pick for our team to back up and play beside Fultz. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah after you get past Langford and Culver who should go somewhere between 4-7 the rest of the first round is basically the same level of prospect. I don't really think there's a big difference of drafting a guy like Coby White at 14 or 24. So if we think we need a wing there's always someone available. 

But sure we might fall in love with Brandon Clarke or something. 

No, what i mean is most of the bigs are projected after 10.So if we draft between 12 and 20 i could see us trading that player for a wing player drafted later in the round.

1 hour ago, Section229 said:

I know he’s viewed as an unathletic white boy, but I love Ty Jerome. I think he’s going to play in the league for a decade and be a great team player/winner for whoever has the balls to draft him. The guy plays his guts out on both ends, has great size for a point, is passionate, has excellent vision, is great with the ball, can shoot, and can play the hell out of some basketball. If we end up picking in the teens I think he’d be a great pick for our team to back up and play beside Fultz. 

We already have briscoe. Doesn't really make sense to pick up a developmental point guard that projects as a solid backup. 

The only point guard I'd bring in is a guy like Garland who might be a spree scorer and gives us something we lack. 

Yeah I mean I understand your logic, but if things work out well for us and we end this season in the playoffs, we’ll be picking in the teens in a weak draft. By all accounts Garland is a better prospect on paper, but let’s assume the Garlands of the draft are gone by the time we’re on the clock.  If we end up keeping the pick, a developmental guy is probably what we’ll end up with. If we can trade the pick for something more helpful...that’s a different discussion. But if we’re keeping it and picking in the middle, Jerome is a potentially multi positional defender who could in theory replace dj in two years and even serve in a small role in packages on the court with Fultz while maintaining some switchability. He’s 6’5” and is at least a B at everything. I just like the guy and think he’s going to be a great team player and winner with longevity. I certainly wouldn’t make a decision on him one way or another because we have Briscoe. Briscoe is not a long term answer to back up Fultz. Why not groom our own DJ replacement if there’s one available and we opt to keep our pick in this draft? Again, assuming we’re keeping the pick. 

4 minutes ago, Section229 said:

Yeah I mean I understand your logic, but if things work out well for us and we end this season in the playoffs, we’ll be picking in the teens in a weak draft. By all accounts Garland is a better prospect on paper, but let’s assume the Garlands of the draft are gone by the time we’re on the clock.  If we end up keeping the pick, a developmental guy is probably what we’ll end up with. If we can trade the pick for something more helpful...that’s a different discussion. But if we’re keeping it and picking in the middle, Jerome is a potentially multi positional defender who could in theory replace dj in two years and even serve in a small role in packages on the court with Fultz while maintaining some switchability. He’s 6’5” and is at least a B at everything. I just like the guy and think he’s going to be a great team player and winner with longevity. I certainly wouldn’t make a decision on him one way or another because we have Briscoe. Briscoe is not a long term answer to back up Fultz. Why not groom our own DJ replacement if there’s one available and we opt to keep our pick in this draft? Again, assuming we’re keeping the pick. 

If we're picking in the teens and Garland isn't available I'm not picking a point guard at all. There's enough wing talent available. 

And briscoe is a long term answer as a developmental point guard to eventually be a Fultz backup.

He's signed through 2021. He's only a year older than Jerome. Why not continue to invest in him?

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Who the ***** cares? He's probably the second best player in the NCAA this year. 

I guess you like Evan. Well I DONT. And I think, scratch that, Know we need shooters. We don’t need anybody who can’t stretch the floor. Bamba, Isaac, Wes and Gordon are not yet great 3 pt. Shooters. And Clarke doesn’t even shoot them at all. And his 65% free throws are not encouraging. And that is his best % his last two years he was under 60%

11 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I guess you like Evan. Well I DONT. And I think, scratch that, Know we need shooters. We don’t need anybody who can’t stretch the floor. Bamba, Isaac, Wes and Gordon are not yet great 3 pt. Shooters. And Clarke doesn’t even shoot them at all. And his 65% free throws are not encouraging. And that is his best % his last two years he was under 60%

The odds of the shooters becoming starting caliber wings aren't great. You can get a good player and explore other avenues to replace Evan if it comes to that

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The odds of the shooters becoming starting caliber wings aren't great. You can get a good player and explore other avenues to replace Evan if it comes to that

For this team to really take off Evan has to vastly improve, which I seriously doubt. He peaked last year imo. So we need to search for his replacement either draft or fa. And besides Ross we have no real 3 pt threats. So I would draft as many shooters as I could maybe one will pan out. 

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

If we're picking in the teens and Garland isn't available I'm not picking a point guard at all. There's enough wing talent available. 

And briscoe is a long term answer as a developmental point guard to eventually be a Fultz backup.

He's signed through 2021. He's only a year older than Jerome. Why not continue to invest in him?

Is there enough wing talent? I could say we have Wes and apply the same logic you’re using to not draft a point guard. In my eyes he’s certainly more of a long term piece than Briscoe. I wish I could see Briscoe as a long term backup to Fultz, but he’s just not that good man. I think Jerome is a significantly better prospect across the board. Plus I can see Jerome possibly playing some wing or being able to guard a 2 in a second point guard role on the court with Fultz. Briscoe is a fine 3rd guy, but he’s limited. He can’t shoot. I wouldn’t be against continuing to invest in him as a 3rd guy. By all accounts it seems like the other guys like him and he gives full effort and can push the ball. But he can’t shoot. Even if it’s not Jerome, I don’t want to invest in him as DJ’s down the road replacement. We can do better. Wes Iwundu, though? That’s a guy I can get behind continuing to invest as a contributing backup wing. 

6 minutes ago, Section229 said:

Is there enough wing talent? I could say we have Wes and apply the same logic you’re using to not draft a point guard. In my eyes he’s certainly more of a long term piece than Briscoe. I wish I could see Briscoe as a long term backup to Fultz, but he’s just not that good man. I think Jerome is a significantly better prospect across the board. Plus I can see Jerome possibly playing some wing or being able to guard a 2 in a second point guard role on the court with Fultz. Briscoe is a fine 3rd guy, but he’s limited. He can’t shoot. I wouldn’t be against continuing to invest in him as a 3rd guy. By all accounts it seems like the other guys like him and he gives full effort and can push the ball. But he can’t shoot. Even if it’s not Jerome, I don’t want to invest in him as DJ’s down the road replacement. We can do better. Wes Iwundu, though? That’s a guy I can get behind continuing to invest as a contributing backup wing. 

What makes Jerome better than Coby White? He does everything you suggest Jerome does but better. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

What makes Jerome better than Coby White? He does everything you suggest Jerome does but better. 

I guess it’s just a preference thing. I don’t dislike White. He may even end up being better, and I wouldn’t hate drafting him in the middle of the first, either. I’d prefer him to Briscoe, too. I just see something different with Jerome. He’s got that it that makes me a believer. I think he’s a winner and a basketball player.

Have you seen “High Flying Bird” yet? There’s a comparison made in there about a prospect having street ball/one on one talent vs. having organized team talent or something to that effect. I think Jerome will be a great fit as a prospect to back up our hopeful star and contribute with a team mentality from the latter part of that comparison, while also possesing the ability to draw on the former and get his in “pull up in your face” ways as well if need be.