Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

11 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Care to explain your opinion?

Zion is a generational player.

Morant gets his numbers by being given full range to do whatever he wants. If he played on a Duke or Kentucky he'd be playing with other elite players and that would kill his numbers. He'd look a lot more normal. He's a good passer, not great. He's not a good shooter. He can't defend and scouts are worried about his ability to put on muscle. He's really good at getting to the rim. 

I like him. If we jumped to 3 I'd take him. I like him better than Trae. But there's nothing to suggest he's in the same realm as Zion. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Zion is a generational player.

Morant gets his numbers by being given full range to do whatever he wants. If he played on a Duke or Kentucky he'd be playing with other elite players and that would kill his numbers. He'd look a lot more normal. He's a good passer, not great. He's not a good shooter. He can't defend and scouts are worried about his ability to put on muscle. He's really good at getting to the rim. 

I like him. If we jumped to 3 I'd take him. I like him better than Trae. But there's nothing to suggest he's in the same realm as Zion. 

Makes me wonder what types of numbers Zion would be putting up on a less stacked team. Maybe it wouldn't be that much more, but surely his production, at least in pure counting numbers, is down as there are other "top talents" on the team with him. He is only taking ~13 shots a game and is still putting up over 20 a game.

5 minutes ago, Odin said:

Makes me wonder what types of numbers Zion would be putting up on a less stacked team. Maybe it wouldn't be that much more, but surely his production, at least in pure counting numbers, is down as there are other "top talents" on the team with him. He is only taking ~13 shots a game and is still putting up over 20 a game.

There's not many Ohio valley conference players that can defend him

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

There's not many Ohio valley conference players that can defend him

Ha. Fine. Be that way.

1 minute ago, Odin said:

Ha. Fine. Be that way.

?

I'm just saying he's shooting 75% in acc play. He's got a 41 PER. if he played on a mid major he might score all the points

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

?

I'm just saying he's shooting 75% in acc play. He's got a 41 PER. if he played on a mid major he might score all the points

I mean sure. I was thinking more on the same level of competition though.

That's like saying "I wonder what types of numbers Curry would put up on a less stacked team", and someone responding "Yeah, he would destroy the G-League/Euroleague".

1 minute ago, Odin said:

I mean sure. I was thinking more on the same level of competition though.

That's like saying "I wonder what types of numbers Curry would put up on a less stacked team", and someone responding "Yeah, he would destroy the G-League/Euroleague".

Oh. I thought you were making a direct Morant-Zion situation comp

49 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Oh. I thought you were making a direct Morant-Zion situation comp

No, was more of a "what would his numbers look like if he wasn't playing next to Barrett who shoots half again as many shots as he does, yet only averaged 2 more points a game"? Perhaps I should have gone with that.

Jonathan Tjarks on Barrett vs. Zion:

Playing with Barrett, a 6-foot-7 wing who was considered the front-runner to be the no. 1 overall pick before the season, also limits Zion’s opportunities. Barrett is averaging 19.5 field goal attempts per game and is the primary option almost by default. He’s a hyperaggressive scorer whom defenses leave open on the perimeter so the ball naturally winds up in his hands. His shoot first, second, and third style wouldn’t be as much of an issue if he weren’t playing on a team with someone who is so clearly better than him. There are a lot of times when Zion makes the extra pass and the ball never gets back to him. Barrett shot a combined 17-for-55 (30.9 percent) in Duke’s two losses, to Gonzaga and Syracuse, this season. He could end up shooting the Blue Devils out of the NCAA tournament if they aren’t careful.

For the record, I agree. Having watched quite a bit of Duke this year, Zion is the clear prize.