Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Gamethread: Magic vs Heat - SEASON PREMIERE

3 minutes ago, King Close said:

Couldn’t post last night during the game but i was definitely watching it, super happy we won and AG had a great game, Bamba did very good on his debut, Ross had stellar defense. Same thing with grant. 

Super annoying hearing all these Miami fans in our arena... 

Thought the same thing when I was there lastnight. -?forthewin had a good point earlier that all these local middle schoolers and high schoolers that grew up in or around Orlando did so during one of the worst stretches ever for the magic and one of the better ones ever for the heat. If the Magic turn the franchise around those “heat” fans will slowly dissipate locally but it will take time. 

But yea it was super annoying hearing them be louder than our fans at times lastnight. When you are watching on tv it’s not a big deal but when you’re at Amway it’s incredibly annoying. 

Also on a different point people talking about Bamba’s body not being ready to start or play big minutes—his body is fine. So many rookies come in the league before their bodies are fully matured physically but they still dominate. You don’t have to be completely filled out to play. Bamba is fine for big minutes assuming his conditioning is good which it looks fine to me. 

58 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Then let's make the decision off of 6 years of watching Vuc and 4 years of watching Fournier.  They aren't bad people.  They aren't even bad NBA players.  They are simply no longer a fit for this franchise.  We have outgrown them.  There was a time when we thought those two were going to be the foundation of the franchise.  That is no longer the case.  Vuc is an energy killing back to the basket big without defense.  20 years ago, Chicago and MJ would have made him a star.  That was then this is now.  Evan would be great as instant offense off the bench for a contending team.  But right now he seems to believe that he is the offense on this team.  When he is in the game, the shot is going up.  He has somehow managed to increase his shots per game each season he has been in the league.  I just don't see him settling for a bench role in Orlando.  Even if he would, is the franchise better off with him coming off the bench firing or in having the ability to have one of Isaac or Gordon on the floor at all times running the offense from a point forward look or running PNR with Bamba/pick your PG?  The latter crtainly seems better for developing the future of the franchise.  

It truly isn't about the one game last night.  

Who needs a C or SF and has a young PG with some upside and a contract that isn't an albatross?  Get them on the phone quick before this season is wasted playing buddy ball in crunch time while your potential all star gets iced out.  I think someone mentioned Gordon being tired.  This is complete rubbish.  I don't care how hard Gordon goes all game (and it was exceptional effort) he is 23 and should demand the ball in that situation.  If a 23 year old NBA player is completely gassed by playing a single basketball game he either needs to get in extra conditioning or get some mental toughness.  I don't think AG needs either.

Rant Over.

Gordon played all but 2 minutes and 46 seconds in the second half. With 4 minutes and 44 seconds left in the game he skied for an offensive rebound walked to the corner, doubled over and called for a timeout. 63 seconds later we called another timeout to get him some rest without taking him out of the game. He was gassed. Saying he shouldn't be tired is dumb macho bs and completely discredits the fact he took no plays off last night. You want him to finish games with more energy, expect him to play crappy defense. 

• Upvote 1

It was a nice sight of gordon and bamba. Liked their intensity. Was surprised to see them settle for so many jump shots instead of attacking the rim. Also bamba's putbacks were great. as I said before, I am not happy with fournier and vucevic. But we need to get as many points from them in offensive end as possible this season (their last with us, hopefully) so all the work that BIG does on the defensive end is not in vain.

I mean, I think we're probably better off with a Grant-Fournier-Isaac-Gordon-Bamba lineup with Augustin-Ross-Simmons-Vuc on the bench. I just don't want us to make lineup changes after one game

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Btw those jerseys should become the main ones

Absolutely.  I wouldn't be surprised if the players feel some sort of psychological boost from wearing something so fly.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Gordon played all but 2 minutes and 46 seconds in the second half. With 4 minutes and 44 seconds left in the game he skied for an offensive rebound walked to the corner, doubled over and called for a timeout. 63 seconds later we called another timeout to get him some rest without taking him out of the game. He was gassed. Saying he shouldn't be tired is dumb macho bs and completely discredits the fact he took no plays off last night. You want him to finish games with more energy, expect him to play crappy defense. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.  The fact that he skied for the offensive rebound proves he is mentally tough enough to fight through the fatigue and make the play.  Saying he shouldn't be tired isn't macho bs.  It is an opinion of what the conditioning of a 23 year old premiere athlete should be coupled with an expectation that our experienced coach will not ride him into the ground so that there is nothing left in the last 4 minutes.  

However, whether I am right, or you are right, doesn't change the fundamental point:  (1) If Gordon is in the game the ball shouldn't be in a two man game with Vuc and Fournier.  But I'll add to it: (2) If Gordon was gassed and couldn't be effective/didn't want the ball, he should have been on the bench and our coach should explain how he didn't handle minutes well enough to permit Gordon to be effective in crunch time.  

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.  The fact that he skied for the offensive rebound proves he is mentally tough enough to fight through the fatigue and make the play.  Saying he shouldn't be tired isn't macho bs.  It is an opinion of what the conditioning of a 23 year old premiere athlete should be coupled with an expectation that our experienced coach will not ride him into the ground so that there is nothing left in the last 4 minutes.  

However, whether I am right, or you are right, doesn't change the fundamental point:  (1) If Gordon is in the game the ball shouldn't be in a two man game with Vuc and Fournier.  But I'll add to it: (2) If Gordon was gassed and couldn't be effective/didn't want the ball, he should have been on the bench and our coach should explain how he didn't handle minutes well enough to permit Gordon to be effective in crunch time.  

The explanation is "we were playing from behind the entire game and found a lineup that outscored the opponent 2 to 1 so we stayed with that lineup longer than appropriate and it ultimately was the correct move as it provided a large enough gap to win the game". 

But yeah you're right. When the lineup changed Fournier and vucevic screwed up the offense by milking the clock, running into bad situations, and attempting bad shots. But the solution isn't forcing the ball back to Gordon, it's running a play to create a good shot and when they foul, make your free throws.