Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Gamethread: Magic vs Heat - SEASON PREMIERE

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Jerian Grant absolutely shut down anyone he defended last night. Only gave up 2 field goals (1 to Whiteside, 1 to Richardson).

Defended Tyler Johnson 25 possessions, dragic 12 possessions. 0 points. 

I had no idea I would be so optimistic about him.  He has a lot of tools.

It sure looked like the changing of the guard for our team; out with old core in with new. Man, you really see the difference with Bamba in there; it’s just a matter of time.  I think by saying he’s not nervous is way of telling Cliff he’s ready now, but he needs to build his body for big minutes. Gordon looked awesome, I hope he is more consistent this year and is mindful of his shot selection. Let’s get this BIG lineup going sooner rather then later or perhaps we’re highlighting Vuc for a trade. LOVE Ross’s D! 

Then let's make the decision off of 6 years of watching Vuc and 4 years of watching Fournier.  They aren't bad people.  They aren't even bad NBA players.  They are simply no longer a fit for this franchise.  We have outgrown them.  There was a time when we thought those two were going to be the foundation of the franchise.  That is no longer the case.  Vuc is an energy killing back to the basket big without defense.  20 years ago, Chicago and MJ would have made him a star.  That was then this is now.  Evan would be great as instant offense off the bench for a contending team.  But right now he seems to believe that he is the offense on this team.  When he is in the game, the shot is going up.  He has somehow managed to increase his shots per game each season he has been in the league.  I just don't see him settling for a bench role in Orlando.  Even if he would, is the franchise better off with him coming off the bench firing or in having the ability to have one of Isaac or Gordon on the floor at all times running the offense from a point forward look or running PNR with Bamba/pick your PG?  The latter crtainly seems better for developing the future of the franchise.  

It truly isn't about the one game last night.  

Who needs a C or SF and has a young PG with some upside and a contract that isn't an albatross?  Get them on the phone quick before this season is wasted playing buddy ball in crunch time while your potential all star gets iced out.  I think someone mentioned Gordon being tired.  This is complete rubbish.  I don't care how hard Gordon goes all game (and it was exceptional effort) he is 23 and should demand the ball in that situation.  If a 23 year old NBA player is completely gassed by playing a single basketball game he either needs to get in extra conditioning or get some mental toughness.  I don't think AG needs either.

Rant Over.

29 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I dunno. It's not smart to make decisions off of one game

?4theWin=smart person.  There will be injuries, ups and downs as this season unfolds.  We can now say we have a steal in Bamba and he is the real deal.  Very few "one and done's" last an 82 game season but I hope he is one of the few that does.  Loved that play in the second half when Whiteside tried 3 times unsuccessfully to put the ball in the basket surrounded by Bamba and Ross (I think), may have been Simmons,  He was aware of Bamba on his last attempt as he shot it higher and missed.   I do think Vuc and Fournier will have better games and can help us win but all with the combinations Clifford has at his disposal playing them at the same time may not be the best option.  Start and end of that game last night (with both on the floor) was UGLY.

Two things I heard on the broadcast last night that intrigued me

1. Jeff Turner predicted 40 wins based solely on the fact that we would reduce injuries by 1/2 (think he said we had 222 games of injury loss last year) and last year's injury total was insane.  

2. Philly was 25-25 last year and closed 27-5 after adding players (veterans with expiring contracts) around the trade deadline. Potential scenario later on?

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

?4theWin=smart person.  There will be injuries, ups and downs as this season unfolds.  We can now say we have a steal in Bamba and he is the real deal.  Very few "one and done's" last an 82 game season but I hope he is one of the few that does.  Loved that play in the second half when Whiteside tried 3 times unsuccessfully to put the ball in the basket surrounded by Bamba and Ross (I think), may have been Simmons,  He was aware of Bamba on his last attempt as he shot it higher and missed.   I do think Vuc and Fournier will have better games and can help us win but all with the combinations Clifford has at his disposal playing them at the same time may not be the best option.  Start and end of that game last night (with both on the floor) was UGLY.

It's more like if you make lineup decisions after one game you then leave yourself vulnerable to lineup chaos throughout the season. So hypothetically if we switch to Bamba-Ross in the starting lineup on Friday and Bamba struggles and vucevic dominates Cody Zeller do we have to switch back to vucevic?

If a random Augustin-Fournier-Simmons-Isaac-vucevic lineup dominates Charlotte's weird Batum at center lineup they might throw out there does that become our new starting lineup?

Then if Bamba plays embiid well on Saturday do we have to switch back to him?

There's finesse in making a rotation. We need to keep this rotation for a few games to give us the time to stick with a new rotation in good times and bad. 

49 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Jerian Grant absolutely shut down anyone he defended last night. Only gave up 2 field goals (1 to Whiteside, 1 to Richardson).

Defended Tyler Johnson 25 possessions, dragic 12 possessions. 0 points. 

So dj gave up a lot of points to drajic. Made him look like an all star. I think grant is already a better option. I think he should be playin more minutes than dj. Unless he gets hot early, Augustine should have an early exit most games. Same with vuc and Fournier. They can feel good about starting and then sit the majority of the game. 

I think ag has reached the maturity level now that he can be the man and lead this team. Fournier is not helping that at all. And I don’t think Evan is willing to give ag the reigns. He needs to be moved. Mo looks like he will take over vuch’s spot earlier than expected tg. 

BIG is the future and the future is NOW!!!!

8 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

1. Jeff Turner predicted 40 wins based solely on the fact that we would reduce injuries by 1/2 (think he said we had 222 games of injury loss last year) and last year's injury total was insane.  

2. Philly was 25-25 last year and closed 27-5 after adding players (veterans with expiring contracts) around the trade deadline. Potential scenario later on?

Thoughts?

Health is going to be the big factor of course, people forget and Clifford pointed it out when he was first hired how many games core guys missed.  And we can already see Clifford is a much better Xs and Os and overall game strategy coach than Vogel ever was.  In the East you have Boston, Philly, and Toronto as the clear top teams outside of that the remaining 5 spots are up for grabs pretty much.  

9 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So dj gave up a lot of points to drajic. Made him look like an all star. I think grant is already a better option. I think he should be playin more minutes than dj. Unless he gets hot early, Augustine should have an early exit most games. Same with vuc and Fournier. They can feel good about starting and then sit the majority of the game. 

I think ag has reached the maturity level now that he can be the man and lead this team. Fournier is not helping that at all. And I don’t think Evan is willing to give ag the reigns. He needs to be moved. Mo looks like he will take over vuch’s spot earlier than expected tg. 

BIG is the future and the future is NOW!!!!

Fwiw if you go look at dragic's highlights he scored more on non-dj players than on dj. 

Couldn’t post last night during the game but i was definitely watching it, super happy we won and AG had a great game, Bamba did very good on his debut, Ross had stellar defense. Same thing with grant. 

Super annoying hearing all these Miami fans in our arena... 

55 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Then let's make the decision off of 6 years of watching Vuc and 4 years of watching Fournier.  They aren't bad people.  They aren't even bad NBA players.  They are simply no longer a fit for this franchise.  We have outgrown them.  There was a time when we thought those two were going to be the foundation of the franchise.  That is no longer the case.  Vuc is an energy killing back to the basket big without defense.  20 years ago, Chicago and MJ would have made him a star.  That was then this is now.  Evan would be great as instant offense off the bench for a contending team.  But right now he seems to believe that he is the offense on this team.  When he is in the game, the shot is going up.  He has somehow managed to increase his shots per game each season he has been in the league.  I just don't see him settling for a bench role in Orlando.  Even if he would, is the franchise better off with him coming off the bench firing or in having the ability to have one of Isaac or Gordon on the floor at all times running the offense from a point forward look or running PNR with Bamba/pick your PG?  The latter crtainly seems better for developing the future of the franchise.  

It truly isn't about the one game last night.  

Who needs a C or SF and has a young PG with some upside and a contract that isn't an albatross?  Get them on the phone quick before this season is wasted playing buddy ball in crunch time while your potential all star gets iced out.  I think someone mentioned Gordon being tired.  This is complete rubbish.  I don't care how hard Gordon goes all game (and it was exceptional effort) he is 23 and should demand the ball in that situation.  If a 23 year old NBA player is completely gassed by playing a single basketball game he either needs to get in extra conditioning or get some mental toughness.  I don't think AG needs either.

Rant Over.

Agreed man I’m tired of buddy ball

20 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Thoughts?

The one problem with his philosophy is Clifford and health might overlap in the same wins. 

I don't think we'll see a major move this season unless Boston wants to cash in on Rozier at the deadline. If we stay healthy it's difficult to improve on our rotation with rentals. Philly had a good top 5 with Bayless, McConnell, Fultz, amir Johnson, luwawu on their bench. We have a solid 9. There's no real obvious weak points that we can resolve by offering a team a second round pick.