The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Doncic's passing is already elite.  He made some truly great passes last night.

This is going to be an impressive draft class.  Doncic, Ayton, Bamba, probably Jackson, and several others look ready to contribute from day 1. 

12 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Recap?

Clifford is a good coach that provides stability which is what we needed. Lowe thought we would make the playoffs last year and we were interesting last year before things fell apart. Lowe is skeptical that Gordon playing on the perimeter works and cites dj Augustin and Grant as limiting factors for a playoff run but then kind of hedges by saying the East sucks from 6 on down (basically alluding to the fact it wouldn't be crazy for us to compete). 

Extreme hypothetical: if the Blazers decided to pull the plug on the CJ/Dame duo, which one would you rather have on the Magic? I think id rather have Dame. If they went full rebuild, expirings and picks would be what they’re looking for. Vucevic and Ross match salary wise to either and they’re both expiring contracts.

6 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Extreme hypothetical: if the Blazers decided to pull the plug on the CJ/Dame duo, which one would you rather have on the Magic? I think id rather have Dame. If they went full rebuild, expirings and picks would be what they’re looking for. Vucevic and Ross match salary wise to either and they’re both expiring contracts.

I know this is hypothetical but the one problem with a Lillard or McCollum trade is they're going to want Gordon, Isaac, or Bamba with cap relief and a pick. 

Considering the real off-season possibility of getting kemba, Rozier, or (insert your favorite available pg here) I think it's probably better to add a point guard to our young talent than split it up to get a good one.

“When I play the small forward it just gives the other small forwards problems.” Gordon told UPROXX. “Cause I’m just bigger and more physical than they are. I draw quick fouls so now they gotta play bigs and that’s something they’re not used to and when I’m at the four they’re not used to guarding perimeter play.”

That problem Gordon causes makes the usually dull Magic one of the more fascinating teams to watch this season. How are teams going to fight these insanely long lineups Orlando is going to be running on a nightly basis? The Magic’s roster construction is bizarre, with so many big men and so few guards, but while it’s possible that will be a problem for them at times, they’re going to make you adjust to them or suffer the consequences.

For the Heat, they decided to go just as big as Orlando. With Jones in foul trouble, they didn’t throw out another wing but instead put big man Bam Adebayo on the floor next to Hassan Whiteside. Adebayo is fast and skilled enough to let Miami do this and it ended up being pretty effective too. In nine minutes of play time together, the two big men sharing the floor together outscored Orlando by one point. However, they only shot 1-for-6 from 3-point range and their spacing regressed to the dinosaur era.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/orlando-magic-aaron-gordon-mo-bamba-matchups-length/

So on one hand tonight's game is nothing more than game 2 but on the other hand this is a division opponent and one of the few teams projected to be our competition if we plan to be a playoff team. 

The book isn't written on this team. We'll be different in a month, three months, 6 months as young players improve and some players regress and we have to overcome nagging injuries and fatigue. So I'm not sure the outcome tonight can be used as a projection of things to come in victory or defeat. 

But at the same time it matters a little bit. 

Looking at our schedule over the next five, it is possible that we end 1-5. Hornets are the team we have the best chance to beat, but Kemba plays well against us, and for some reason we haven't beaten them since 2015. This is going to be a bit of a tough stretch.

Just now, Odin said:

Looking at our schedule over the next five, it is possible that we end 1-5. Hornets are the team we have the best chance to beat, but Kemba plays well against us, and for some reason we haven't beaten them since 2015. This is going to be a bit of a tough stretch.

The good news is we're rarely healthy against Charlotte but we are this time. And we stole their coach.