The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the best version of this team looks like. 

It can't be too far off from what we are now. But Isaac is shooting 40% on threes the last 24 games and shot 26% from three over his first 48 games. How much better are we if he shot 35% instead of 26% for the better part of the season?

At the same time we're still flawed and at least a magnitude worse than Toronto. 

So are we basically Indiana? I think we're probably better than Indiana but worse than Boston or Philly. 

Or maybe we're right where we should be and if we played this season 1000 times with today's roster we'd still end up in the same general realm of where we are today with Isaac winning a few games we lost this year and Ross' streakiness coming at less fortunate times. 

Are our losses against Cleveland, Memphis, Washington signs of flaws being hidden by coaching? Or are they momentary lapses that are excusable in the greater context of these long winning streaks?

Because San Antonio is a well coached veteran team with limited talent but differs from us in that they have end of game closers and San Antonio still loses to Chicago in the middle of a long winning streak and has a down month when they lose 7 of 8 including back to back games against the Knicks and Brooklyn and San Antonio can't seem to figure out Charlotte. 

So are our flaws just the tarnish of a third tier NBA team that's ceiling is in the mid 40s?

If we were less flawed where Vuc did his stuff on offense and wasn't a target on defense and we had a legitimate end of game closer would we be a 50+ win team?

Are we that close to being something (though also that far away because our missing piece is the most difficult player to obtain)?

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the best version of this team looks like. 

It can't be too far off from what we are now. But Isaac is shooting 40% on threes the last 24 games and shot 26% from three over his first 48 games. How much better are we if he shot 35% instead of 26% for the better part of the season?

At the same time we're still flawed and at least a magnitude worse than Toronto. 

So are we basically Indiana? I think we're probably better than Indiana but worse than Boston or Philly. 

Or maybe we're right where we should be and if we played this season 1000 times with today's roster we'd still end up in the same general realm of where we are today with Isaac winning a few games we lost this year and Ross' streakiness coming at less fortunate times. 

Are our losses against Cleveland, Memphis, Washington signs of flaws being hidden by coaching? Or are they momentary lapses that are excusable in the greater context of these long winning streaks?

Because San Antonio is a well coached veteran team with limited talent but differs from us in that they have end of game closers and San Antonio still loses to Chicago in the middle of a long winning streak and has a down month when they lose 7 of 8 including back to back games against the Knicks and Brooklyn and San Antonio can't seem to figure out Charlotte. 

So are our flaws just the tarnish of a third tier NBA team that's ceiling is in the mid 40s?

If we were less flawed where Vuc did his stuff on offense and wasn't a target on defense and we had a legitimate end of game closer would we be a 50+ win team?

Are we that close to being something (though also that far away because our missing piece is the most difficult player to obtain)?

To add another thought, what’s our record look like right now if we got post-all-star Fournier all season instead of his rough start. I definitely think we’re better than our record and would put us in the same conversation as Boston as the 4th best team in the conference right now.

19 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Are there any realistic pathways to us being able to afford Kemba? I mean, if he makes an all-nba team this year, forget about it, but if he doesn’t?

It's hard to be consistent for an 82 game season, but defensively I think we are there or at least very close. It's the offense that has us where we are now and with a closer for example Kemba I say we're top 15 easily, top 10 maybe offensively.

16 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Are there any realistic pathways to us being able to afford Kemba? I mean, if he makes an all-nba team this year, forget about it, but if he doesn’t?

Dunno the exact numbers but it would require renouncing the rights on Vucevic and Ross, it wouldn't be a full max obviously.

4 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

It's hard to be consistent for an 82 game season, but defensively I think we are there or at least very close. It's the offense that has us where we are now and with a closer for example Kemba I say we're top 15 easily, top 10 maybe offensively.

Sure would be great if Fultz was that guy. 

It's definitely not fair to have those expectations with him. But he was picked number one for a reason. 

Moving on from Vuc makes sense because even if Bamba sucks it's not crazy difficult to fill that spot by overpaying for Drummond or Harrell or Bam Adebayo and there's a Jarrett Allen in every draft. 

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Sure would be great if Fultz was that guy. 

It's definitely not fair to have those expectations with him. But he was picked number one for a reason. 

Moving on from Vuc makes sense because even if Bamba sucks it's not crazy difficult to fill that spot by overpaying for Drummond or Harrell or Bam Adebayo and there's a Jarrett Allen in every draft. 

It sucks it took us this long but we are definitely in great position for the future which has me very excited, and if Fultz becomes that guy hopefully that benefits Bamba too since Fultz biggest strength in college was the pick n roll

Does anyone else think we don't have to win the last 4 games to get in and if not where do you see Miami (it's the only tiebreaker we win) slipping up?

2 minutes ago, magicmacd75 said:

Does anyone else think we don't have to win the last 4 games to get in and if not where do you see Miami (it's the only tiebreaker we win) slipping up?

If we go 3-1 and think there’s about a 90% chance we get in. 2-2 and it’s probably more like 25%

3 minutes ago, magicblue said:

If we go 3-1 and think there’s about a 90% chance we get in. 2-2 and it’s probably more like 25%

If we go 2-2, Miami has to go 3-2 or better to get in. I don’t think Miami is 75% likely to go 3-2 or better.