The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Barnabas Smith said:

IMO, the lack of team depth really showed last night against the Raptors. I know Fultz and Bamba are injured and we really don't know what we have, but even if they are healthy, are they enough? Since we need to give up assets to get assets,  how do we continue to build our team depth?

I think that what we really lacked was top flight talent. Kyle Lowry just creates shots for himself with a type of ease that none of our players can match.

It would help us a lot if Fultz really became the player he was supposed to become

Didn't lose any ground last night.  Should have a pretty good idea what kind of shape we're in after Friday's games.

30 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Didn't lose any ground last night.  Should have a pretty good idea what kind of shape we're in after Friday's games.

We actually made up ground in the computer models. 86% likely on fivethirtyeight with the 7 seed. 74.1% and indetermined seed (due to a discrepancy between the way numbers are rounded, Brooklyn's 40.5 wins I'd consider 41 wins but they consider 40) on bballref

27 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Everybody else losing was a break for us last night.  Still in it and in pretty good shape.  Disappointing loss but Iwundu's performance very encouraging.   Just a total turnaround from Indiana game.  I thought we were competing well when we led 50-44 with about 3 minutes left and then 3 minutes later we were down 62-52 and all our energy seemed drained (or we did not match there energy?) and we never seemed to match their level until the game was effectively over.   But the good news is your first sentence.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We actually made up ground in the computer models. 86% likely on fivethirtyeight with the 7 seed. 74.1% and indetermined seed (due to a discrepancy between the way numbers are rounded, Brooklyn's 40.5 wins I'd consider 41 wins but they consider 40) on bballref

They've been pretty optimistic for a while now.  There are so few games left now though that any W by BKN/MIA that the computers have slated as a L will probably flip everything.  And that's not taking into account the likelihood that some of those teams they're facing down the stretch will rest guys. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I like where we stand and did not think we would get here.  Very conceivable we can win three out of our last four.  Whereas I used to hope to get to 40 wins, 41 is my new "Magic" number.  I now see 40 wins being a tie at best and 41 wins being the number to get in.  And, in theory, we should get there.  But that is why we play the games. I did not see Gordon, Isaac, Ross, Vuc, and Augustine all having sub par games on the same night like last night.  Maybe just one of those things (bad match up, low energy?) and hope it it not repeated.

15 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I like where we stand and did not think we would get here.  Very conceivable we can win three out of our last four.  Whereas I used to hope to get to 40 wins, 41 is my new "Magic" number.  I now see 40 wins being a tie at best and 41 wins being the number to get in.  And, in theory, we should get there.  But that is why we play the games. I did not see Gordon, Isaac, Ross, Vuc, and Augustine all having sub par games on the same night like last night.  Maybe just one of those things (bad match up, low energy?) and hope it it not repeated.

Gordon and Isaac had pretty good games. It just didn't show up in the box score. 

Our strategy is pretty much letting Isaac Gordon and siakam Kawhi cancel each other out and betting that Augustin, fournier, Vuc and the bench can outscore Lowry, green, Gasol, and their bench. 

That's a good gamble usually. Augustin, Vuc, and Ross were all terrible last night on both ends which really killed us. 

There was one play in particular last night that completely turned the game and crushed our spirit on the night. When Kawhi wrestled the offensive board away from AG and it turned in to a Gasol 4 point play. Things really went downhill from there.

23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We now have the easiest schedule remaining.

Brooklyn has the most difficult schedule remaining. 

Miami is 6th. 

Magic [38-40]: NYK (4/3), ATL (4/5), @BOS (4/7), @CHA (4/10)

Nets [39-39]: TOR (4/3), @MIL (4/6), @IND (4/7), MIA (4/10)

Heat [38-39]: BOS (4/3), @MIN (4/5), @TOR (4/7), PHI (4/9), @BKN (4/10)

We really, really need to win the next 2.  If we do, Miami has to go 3-2, and that's not even considering the chance that we win one of our last two games.

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Gordon and Isaac had pretty good games. It just didn't show up in the box score. 

Our strategy is pretty much letting Isaac Gordon and siakam Kawhi cancel each other out and betting that Augustin, fournier, Vuc and the bench can outscore Lowry, green, Gasol, and their bench. 

That's a good gamble usually. Augustin, Vuc, and Ross were all terrible last night on both ends which really killed us. 

It is nice, at this point of the season, to be evaluating the impact of our play.  If we play Toronto in the playoffs we will have to come up with a new strategy.  

1 minute ago, Originalticketholder said:

It is nice, at this point of the season, to be evaluating the impact of our play.  If we play Toronto in the playoffs we will have to come up with a new strategy.  

I think the strategy is fine. Just defend green better and have Vuc not suck