The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Looks like ESPN picked up our game in Charlotte on the last night of the season

They picked that at the beginning of the season

15 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

I give credit when it's due. fournier has been better last 3 games. 

Still, many years experience says he will go back to earth with his usual 4-11 13 point night in a loss

MCW on the other hand, has been consistent and key for us.

And we need gordon to wake up, he has been sleeping and hurting us with non production lately

I agree. It's nice to see Fournier play more consistent now during crunch time. Our team could sure use his offense. As for AG, I am still not convinced he will ever be a good shooter, but it's the other things he does on defense that is helping us win games. MCW is the same way. Our tenacity and team defense seem to be keeping us in games. Regardless of how the season ends I think our team is really fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

So now this Detroit game is just as big 

Nah. Big because the 7 seed might be in the balance but 7 vs 8 isn't as big as 8 vs 9

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

They picked that at the beginning of the season

Yeah, it seems like the last couple years the only ESPN game we had was the last one. I think it was also Charlotte.

We probably need to get to 41 now just to insulate ourselves against Charlotte somehow finishing 5-3 against a schedule that features 5 playoff teams. 

That means we need to go 4-3. 

But it doesn't really matter which 4 we win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

We probably need to get to 41 now just to insulate ourselves against Charlotte somehow finishing 5-3 against a schedule that features 5 playoff teams. 

That means we need to go 4-3. 

But it doesn't really matter which 4 we win. 

Yeah, there are still five teams fighting for those last three playoff spots, and not much separation with 7 or 8 games left for each.  We are one game behind Brooklyn for 6th(really 2 w/tie break),  1/2 game behind Detroit for 7th, 1/2 game ahead of Miami for 8th (1 1/2 w/tie break), and Charlotte is 1 1/2 games back; so all five teams are within 2 1/2. 

We now have more control over our own destiny, but winning this next game against Detroit could give us a huge advantage. If we win, we tie the season series with them, and we would be leading them in the conference record (currently 25-22 for them 25-20 for us); they win and they own the series/tie-break. No guarantee, because all 7 of our games are in-conference and only 5 of theirs are, but a chance at owning the tie-break is better than them having it outright. 

Charlotte currently has the first two tie-breaks with us (head-to-head & Division record); we need to beat Atlanta and Charlotte both to have a chance at that (we lead them in Conference record). Wins against both gives us a tie with Charlotte on both head-to-head and in the division. 

So, if we beat Detroit, Atlanta, and Charlotte, we would own the tiebreaks with Miami; and we would have a good chance at the tie breaks with Detroit and Charlotte. Throw in a NY win, we would be at 41-41, and we should be golden. 

I actually think Brooklyn may fall out of the playoffs. They play Philly next, and I'm sure Philly will be focused after we beat them; Boston and Indiana are fighting for the 4th seed, and Miami is their last game and might have huge implications for who is in/out of the playoffs. I can see Milwaukee resting some guys in one of their games against Brooklyn, since they are almost locked for home court in the playoffs/finals. Toronto is a wild card, as they are in a battle with Golden State, and Denver for potential home court advantage should they reach the finals. Brooklyn might have a hard time reaching 40 wins with their schedule. The bad news is they own the tiebreak, so we need a better season record to get in over them. 

To make a long story short (too late, I know); buckle your seat belts, 'cause it may just be a bumpy ride!

Even if we don't make it, I have to call this season a success and a definite move in the right direction. We gave up way too many leads, and lost a lot more close games than we should have; but I think we are finally learning how to focus in and win. Being this close to .500 this late in the season is far better than I would have expected even a month ago. 

20 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Even if we don't make it, I have to call this season a success and a definite move in the right direction. We gave up way too many leads, and lost a lot more close games than we should have; but I think we are finally learning how to focus in and win. Being this close to .500 this late in the season is far better than I would have expected even a month ago. 

Yeah. I said a few weeks ago that as long as we got to 39 wins and gave ourselves a reasonable chance at the playoffs the season would be a huge success because it would require some absurd performance by another team to knock us out. 

Charlotte coming back down 18 with 8 minutes left against Boston, arguably the most difficult game winner of recent memory against Toronto, overtime win against San Antonio, then going 4-4 to close out the season is pretty much what I was talking about.