The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I will never understand the love Trae Young gets on this forum.  For the year, he has an offensive rating of 105 and defensive rating of 117, has a turnover rate of 18.9%, win shares/48 of .041, and negative VORP.

I mean, it's pretty easy to understand. He's got top tier scoring potential and is a great passer. 

I'm not a Trae Young guy. I think this is just the analog of his college production and he's going to have wild swings throughout his career where he'll look fantastic for a while then be unplayable for a couple weeks. Especially in future playoff series. 

But the only thing he needs to do to prove me wrong is do what he's doing now consistently. 

56 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I'm happy the Magic seemingly have turned a corner this season.I'm not going to just forget the fact that we missed out on a few game changing players in this draft.

Also our best player in theory plays the same position as our most recent draft pick. Honestly in a super small sample size, this is looking like one of the best drafts this decade.

I hope Bamba comes from behind and shows he was one of the best picks. Bamba is not Jokic, just like the other elite centers nowadays he is going to need a good playmaker beside him  to unlock his potential.

Actually our best player “in theory” hasn’t played a single game for us yet and plays the same position as Young

1 minute ago, magicblue said:

Actually our best player “in theory” hasn’t played a single game for us yet and plays the same position as Young

Man I really hope he comes back fully to what he was as a prospect. There's few guys in the league that would be better fits for what we want from our point guard position. 

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Man I really hope he comes back fully to what he was as a prospect. There's few guys in the league that would be better fits for what we want from our point guard position. 

So true. I saw a stat in some YouTube video about Markelle that was talking about his impact on the defensive end in the limited games he’s played. You’d probably be better equipped at pulling those type of stats but his defensive impact was significant. If worst case he’s a bigger more athletic Briscoe then we will be in really good shape moving forward. If he’s 80-85% of his former self he’s probably a multiple all-star. At 90% or better he could be an all-nba 1st or 2nd team guy. It’s crazy to think how good we could potentially be with close to ceiling level outcomes from Isaac, AG, Fultz, and Bamba. Like we honestly could be serious contenders in like 2-3 years. Add a guy like Garland or Porter Jr in this draft and we are set for the next 5-7 years 

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

I'm happy the Magic seemingly have turned a corner this season.I'm not going to just forget the fact that we missed out on a few game changing players in this draft.

Also our best player in theory plays the same position as our most recent draft pick. Honestly in a super small sample size, this is looking like one of the best drafts this decade.

I hope Bamba comes from behind and shows he was one of the best picks. Bamba is not Jokic, just like the other elite centers nowadays he is going to need a good playmaker beside him  to unlock his potential.

Only way we missed out on game changing players in last year's draft was by drafting 6th.  We had a need for a 5 and a 1.  Game changing 1's were both gone and 5 was still there.  Best choice made for us by taking the 5.  NBA is still about mismatches whether it is guard oriented or front court oriented.  I am assuming best player in theory you mention=Isaac and I disagree Bamba and he play the same position.  Isaac is a 3, maybe 4 mismatch nightmare as he develops since he can play outside or inside (inside game needs work) and can handle the ball to possible be a creator and initiator.  Bamba is a stretch 5, could play 4 if you have another 5.  Isaac can handle the ball in ways Bamba will never be proficient at.  With Fultz hopefully solidifying the 1 and an initiator, we have achieved in 6 months a team that could contend for championships.  Will take a little time and development but, for the first time in a few years, I am excited about what this team can become.

• Upvote 1

Yes  i read reddit, sorry the link is so big. I think bringing up the past is bad here, we all want to move forward.

The reason why i posted this is the great link from two years ago just for fun. also why we are doing better now and all the commentary in the thread. Great stuff.

I'm still a little upset about the Bamba pick if we keep Vucevic, but i do think our management has a plan and so far i'm impressed it's working out.

2 hours ago, MagicRocks said:

Silver is considering reducing from 82 games to 70 games, I hope that happens 

Why would he do it unless the player's union pressures him to? It just means less money.

22 minutes ago, jjgator said:

Why would he do it unless the player's union pressures him to? It just means less money.

Yeah, players would have to take a 20% paycut but there would be less injuries which would be good