Jump to content
The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Last I checked we were third to last in the league in pace. That’s probably like 80% from running everything through Vuch. For this team we’ve assembled to have any shot st reaching their potential we have to play faster. 

We are absolutely neutering BIG, and now Fultz, if we continue to play at such a slow pace. 

I’m happy Vuch made an all star game. That doesn’t remotely change my feelings on him moving forward though. 

The worst part about this is we're pretty close to being the worst team in the league at scoring out of our set offense. The only thing bumping us to the 24th ranked offense is our scoring off of missed shots and turnovers because we always have 4 guys on the court who can grab and go with the ball and iwundu, Isaac, Gordon, briscoe, and Augustin are really good at attacking scrambling defenses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The worst part about this is we're pretty close to being the worst team in the league at scoring out of our set offense. The only thing bumping us to the 24th ranked offense is our scoring off of missed shots and turnovers because we always have 4 guys on the court who can grab and go with the ball and iwundu, Isaac, Gordon, briscoe, and Augustin are really good at attacking scrambling defenses. 

Do you think Vuch is actually that much a better player or Clifford has taylormade the offense to get the most out of him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. You can't take super speedy athletic  guy Fultz, dunk contest contestant Terrence Ross, slowly turning into a really good cutter Isaac who's been pretty smooth lately attacking unbalanced defenses and getting to the rim, dunk contest contestant Gordon, super agile Bamba, and then pair them with vucevic (and really Fournier too). 

*Winner*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Do you think Vuch is actually that much a better player or Clifford has taylormade the offense to get the most out of him? 

Both. We saw this with skiles too. 

Vucevic is the main reason we started out so well because I don't care what your weaknesses are, 20/11/4 on 56/45/82 shooting is going to cover for any problems in your game. But since that amazing 17 game stretch he's got pretty much the same averages on 51/35/76 shooting. That version of vucevic is fine on offense. He's still really good at finding exploitable situations in games but it's also hurting us defensively and limiting the other players. 

Our offense is always going to be worse without vucevic with this roster but I'd rather have a 103 offensive rating team with a 101 defensive rating than vucevic's 108.4/107.3 because the way that he gets us offense is high variance. Threes and mid range jumpers and inefficient post ups. He'll go 10/13 in the first half then 1/7 in the second half. Good efficiency but big runs with no offense. 

There's a reason why Houston tries to hit threes, get to the rim, and get to the foul line. The first one is highly efficient but high variance, the second two categories are low varience and also efficient. 

 

Ultimately vucevic isn't the main "problem" with this team. Technically the main "problem" is 9 of our top 12 players are unreliable offensive players either due to youth (Isaac, Bamba, iwundu, briscoe, Gordon), badness (Grant, Simmons, and I guess Martin until recently) or just whatever you want to call what fournier is doing this year. 

But vucevic (and the way we play offense) is a problem especially in the near future and I'd rather struggle through offense with a great defense than have vucevic prop up our offense, kill our defense most of the time, and play a style we'll abandon as soon as he isn't playing here. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Both. We saw this with skiles too. 

Vucevic is the main reason we started out so well because I don't care what your weaknesses are, 20/11/4 on 56/45/82 shooting is going to cover for any problems in your game. But since that amazing 17 game stretch he's got pretty much the same averages on 51/35/76 shooting. That version of vucevic is fine on offense. He's still really good at finding exploitable situations in games but it's also hurting us defensively and limiting the other players. 

Our offense is always going to be worse without vucevic with this roster but I'd rather have a 103 offensive rating team with a 101 defensive rating than vucevic's 108.4/107.3 because the way that he gets us offense is high variance. Threes and mid range jumpers and inefficient post ups. He'll go 10/13 in the first half then 1/7 in the second half. Good efficiency but big runs with no offense. 

There's a reason why Houston tries to hit threes, get to the rim, and get to the foul line. The first one is highly efficient but high variance, the second two categories are low varience and also efficient. 

 

Ultimately vucevic isn't the main "problem" with this team. Technically the main "problem" is 9 of our top 12 players are unreliable offensive players either due to youth (Isaac, Bamba, iwundu, briscoe, Gordon), badness (Grant, Simmons, and I guess Martin until recently) or just whatever you want to call what fournier is doing this year. 

But vucevic (and the way we play offense) is a problem especially in the near future and I'd rather struggle through offense with a great defense than have vucevic prop up our offense, kill our defense most of the time, and play a style we'll abandon as soon as he isn't playing here. 

Fixed

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think about this for a second. 

Kawhi gets hurt

Simmons averages 15ppg in basically the garbage time WCF. 

Simmons, desperate to get off the Spurs, asks to get let off restricted free agency after every other team spent their money and we sign him for below market value. 

Nobody watches the magic so people don't see his inconsistency. 

He pads his basketball reference numbers by going from our main on ball guy on the bench to being the only healthy veteran wing on a bad team. 

He gets us Fultz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simmons was so bad this year that even my six-year old son wanted him traded...openly. Of course he wanted Curry in return lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Simmons was so bad this year that even my six-year old son wanted him traded...openly. Of course he wanted Curry in return lol

sounds like 29 other GMs. He was born for this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magicblue said:

Simmons was so bad this year that even my six-year old son wanted him traded...openly. Of course he wanted Curry in return lol

Future GM their lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Sounds like every Gm approaching the Magic."Your interested in Dennis Smith jr?" "Ok well, maybe you can have him if you give us Gordon, a first round pick and take back Wesley Matthews!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25954077/nba-stressed-rest-rule-100k-fine-pelicans-anthony-davis

I guess I kind of get this, but the league really shouldn't get involved in this. Teams should have a right to play whatever players they want. Say they wanted to play a player only a little bit because of a matchup issue. Would the league fine them if it was a 'star' player? Where do you draw the line? Didn't Pops get in trouble a while back for resting healthy players, but he was doing it for the good of the team?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jjgator said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25954077/nba-stressed-rest-rule-100k-fine-pelicans-anthony-davis

I guess I kind of get this, but the league really shouldn't get involved in this. Teams should have a right to play whatever players they want. Say they wanted to play a player only a little bit because of a matchup issue. Would the league fine them if it was a 'star' player? Where do you draw the line? Didn't Pops get in trouble a while back for resting healthy players, but he was doing it for the good of the team?

Fans dont get discount on tickets and expect to see full product. Thats what it comes down to. For some people its once in a lifetime chance to visit a city or go see a team play, and then get what, DNP on super star of the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×