The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Well, i can guess we can add them to the short list of franchises that are more screwed then we are list.

Probably not, they will undoubtedly get the injured player exception that we never got with G Hill.

Was just listening to 740 the team and Jerry O'Neill. He summed up the position the Magic are in perfectly. Wish i could play it for everyone.

Basically said we cannot bring back the same team next summer. Not sure what trade we could do right now, talked about how our players do not develop properly.

Talked about what a tough spot the Magic are in with our best players probably  being the best ones to trade.

Actually here is a link, although i think it's missing the closing part that sums up everything.

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/2019-02-06-jerry-oneill-joins-the-bridge-for-the-final-time/

31 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Basically said we cannot bring back the same team next summer. Not sure what trade we could do right now, talked about how our players do not develop properly.

Talked about what a tough spot the Magic are in with our best players probably  being the best ones to trade.

Is that just a hiring issue? Not having the right development team around our guys? Is that on the head coach? GM? 

I would think that needs to be one of our top priorities. Any team under a "rebuild", especially one that has been in the top 10 draft picks multiple times, needs to worry about developing those young guys. 

19 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Is that just a hiring issue? Not having the right development team around our guys? Is that on the head coach? GM? 

I would think that needs to be one of our top priorities. Any team under a "rebuild", especially one that has been in the top 10 draft picks multiple times, needs to worry about developing those young guys. 

I think it is definitely a hiring issue; directly connected to our rotating door on the head coach/coaching staff. From what I have seen this year out of Isaac and some or our other younger players, I think we may have turned the corner on that issue; I have actually seen quite a bit of development from a number of players, specifically Gordon, Isaac, Iwundu, Bamba, and Briscoe. How much of Ross and Vuc's improvements are coaching, and how much is contract year is up for debate. I'm somewhat hopeful that the consistency with our coaching staff will finally lead to some of the big jumps we have all been waiting for. 

15 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think it is definitely a hiring issue; directly connected to our rotating door on the head coach/coaching staff. From what I have seen this year out of Isaac and some or our other younger players, I think we may have turned the corner on that issue; I have actually seen quite a bit of development from a number of players, specifically Gordon, Isaac, Iwundu, Bamba, and Briscoe. How much of Ross and Vuc's improvements are coaching, and how much is contract year is up for debate. I'm somewhat hopeful that the consistency with our coaching staff will finally lead to some of the big jumps we have all been waiting for. 

I agree. I wonder how much of Vuc's play is connected to contract year or thriving under Cliffords system. 

I saw somewhere on Twitter that Vuc has apparently said before that he would be willing to take less money to stay with the Magic because he likes it so much here. If that is true (of course you say a lot of positive things in a contract year) I'm finding it harder and harder to trade him. If he is willing to accept a role change (split with Bamba and eventually back him up) and take less money. Why would we just casually discard him? If he continues to develop and grow his game, I'd love to see him stay and commit to building something here. 

41 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I agree. I wonder how much of Vuc's play is connected to contract year or thriving under Cliffords system. 

I saw somewhere on Twitter that Vuc has apparently said before that he would be willing to take less money to stay with the Magic because he likes it so much here. If that is true (of course you say a lot of positive things in a contract year) I'm finding it harder and harder to trade him. If he is willing to accept a role change (split with Bamba and eventually back him up) and take less money. Why would we just casually discard him? If he continues to develop and grow his game, I'd love to see him stay and commit to building something here. 

TBD you think he would be willing to be a back up after he's been named an All Star? I know for a fact he stated in the past that he only wanted to be a starter and this was before he got the All Star nod.

7 minutes ago, KRISH10 said:

TBD you think he would be willing to be a back up after he's been named an All Star? I know for a fact he stated in the past that he only wanted to be a starter and this was before he got the All Star nod.

I think the idea would be the fading of Vuc's mins as a starter over time to allow Bamba a more increased role with Bamba eventually taking over as the starter in 2-3 years

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

I think the idea would be the fading of Vuc's mins as a starter over time to allow Bamba a more increased role with Bamba eventually taking over as the starter in 2-3 years

^^^^

Not saying he loses his minutes this season or even next season. But if we have to be patient with Bamba, then why not have Vuc continue to thrive in Cliffords system if he is willing to work on his weaknesses like defense. At his age, he may not be able to improve by leaps and bounds, but at least to a point where he isn't a liability. I think it's the smart move personally. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

^^^^

Not saying he loses his minutes this season or even next season. But if we have to be patient with Bamba, then why not have Vuc continue to thrive in Cliffords system if he is willing to work on his weaknesses like defense. At his age, he may not be able to improve by leaps and bounds, but at least to a point where he isn't a liability. I think it's the smart move personally. 

My only concern is that if we are running the offense through Vuc, are we stunting the development of Gordon and/or Isaac; whereas a distributing point guard might better contribute to their development. 

17 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

My only concern is that if we are running the offense through Vuc, are we stunting the development of Gordon and/or Isaac; whereas a distributing point guard might better contribute to their development. 

Also we're playing slow methodical basketball with a bunch of athletes

We're pretty close to being the worst team in the NBA at scoring out of our offense after made baskets by opponents (letting them set their defense). 

We should be trying to find more chances at transition buckets