The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Eh, we are screwed, didn't get Trea or Doncic in the last draft. didn't go balls out this trading deadline. Lets face it we have joined the inner circle of bad sports teams.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

Eh, we are screwed, didn't get Trea or Doncic in the last draft. didn't go balls out this trading deadline. Lets face it we have joined the inner circle of bad sports teams.

Valid concern. The best thing you can do is hope there’s a greater plan than do draft and hope. You never know. 

8 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I might be over thinking it but I see Steve's presser and he looked like he was lying .. watching his mannerism when he was speaking about it. Hope i am wrong here.

13 hours ago, hootie249 said:

i think you are little to harsh and too conclusive here looking back. Doncic was our first choice but there was no way that either Atlanta or Dallas was going to give their spot to us. I knew Doncic was going to be good, as I saw him play live a few times in Madrid, but there was still uncertainly along the league in his ability for his game to translate into the NBA. We also had that sour taste in our mouse with Mario's that same year. WE had our needs at PG and Center coming into the draft. There was no need for us to trade any of our other valuable young pieces in  process. There was so many good players in the draft that we were going to secure a very good pick. Bamba was also considered a top 3 talent by many. Ayton, JJJ, Doncic, Bagley, Young, Bamba and Carter were the clear top picks. I dont blame them by just staying put in last year draft. They did the right thing by selecting Bamba to help us in a position of need. He was the best player available AND was also going to fill a need. Bamba has been doing well so far. He reminds me of Jermain Oneill when he first came to the league. He was raw and didnt do much for his first 4 years in the league only avering 11mpg with  4 points and 3 rebounds per game. It was in year 5 or 6 that he started avering over 35 mpg with 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.  

Bamba just need to work on getting stronger and gain some weight in the offseason.  That will happen with time. He has potential. 

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I might be over thinking it but I see Steve's presser and he looked like he was lying .. watching his mannerism when he was speaking about it. Hope i am wrong here.

Shamelessly copied from the Sb forum. i Believe this is the problem we have this summer with Ross,Vuc and Cap space.

Not quite, given their cap holds. The Magic can only go over the cap if they still have Vucevic and Ross’s Bird rights when they re-sign them. The problem is that their cap hold combined is about $35 million. So even if Orlando renounces their rights to Grant and Martin, Their cap holds put them at about $119 million, which is $10 million over the projected cap next season. Cutting Simmons would drop it to about $114 million. Cutting Birch would take it to $112 million, and cutting Briscoe would almost get the team to $110 million. Either way, the Magic would have to renounce the rights to either Ross or Vucevic in order to sign a free agent before going over the cap to sign the other one. This doesn’t factor in whatever the 7th pick will be worth

If the Magic renounce Ross along with cutting all those other players and factoring in Orlando’s 1st rounder, I believe the team would have ~$14 million to spend before they could go over the cap to re-sign Vucevic. Since that’s probably close to the money Ross will be making next season anyway, you might as well try to re-sign both and wait until next summer to cut off Mozgov’s albatross before making offseason moves

That said, the Magic could theoretically cut Mozgov and use the stretch provision to increase cap space this summer by about $8.4 million, which means if they renounced Ross, The team could have up to $22 million available to them before re-signing Vucevic. But that’s a lot of money you’re eating for 2021, combined with Vucevic’s new deal and Fournier’s expected decision to not opt-out of his contract, to the point where, would it really make sense to get the opportunity to sign, say, Khris Middleton or D’Angelo Russell for $20 million per year? Would it make sense to move forward with Russell / Fournier / Isaac / Gordon / Vucevic, with (1st rounder) and Bamba in reserve for the next two seasons?

4 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Shamelessly copied from the Sb forum. i Believe this is the problem we have this summer with Ross,Vuc and Cap space.

Not quite, given their cap holds. The Magic can only go over the cap if they still have Vucevic and Ross’s Bird rights when they re-sign them. The problem is that their cap hold combined is about $35 million. So even if Orlando renounces their rights to Grant and Martin, Their cap holds put them at about $119 million, which is $10 million over the projected cap next season. Cutting Simmons would drop it to about $114 million. Cutting Birch would take it to $112 million, and cutting Briscoe would almost get the team to $110 million. Either way, the Magic would have to renounce the rights to either Ross or Vucevic in order to sign a free agent before going over the cap to sign the other one. This doesn’t factor in whatever the 7th pick will be worth

If the Magic renounce Ross along with cutting all those other players and factoring in Orlando’s 1st rounder, I believe the team would have ~$14 million to spend before they could go over the cap to re-sign Vucevic. Since that’s probably close to the money Ross will be making next season anyway, you might as well try to re-sign both and wait until next summer to cut off Mozgov’s albatross before making offseason moves

That said, the Magic could theoretically cut Mozgov and use the stretch provision to increase cap space this summer by about $8.4 million, which means if they renounced Ross, The team could have up to $22 million available to them before re-signing Vucevic. But that’s a lot of money you’re eating for 2021, combined with Vucevic’s new deal and Fournier’s expected decision to not opt-out of his contract, to the point where, would it really make sense to get the opportunity to sign, say, Khris Middleton or D’Angelo Russell for $20 million per year? Would it make sense to move forward with Russell / Fournier / Isaac / Gordon / Vucevic, with (1st rounder) and Bamba in reserve for the next two seasons?

There's a few numbers here that are incorrect. But the basic point is correct

I just want to point out a few things about Ross. He turns 28 in a few days. At this point he is what he is, and he has been very good for us this year.

Ross is still the player he was when Toronto traded him. He is a very streaky shooter and almost all his value is in his shooting. He is not a great passer,rebounder nor does he provide much in steals. His basketball IQ has taken a few leaps since he left the Raptors.His defense and shot selection are better and he is more likely to pass and get someone a shot, but not much better. 

He had elite hops when he was drafted, but this has not translated to easy shots or fouls around the basket. This is a big reason why the Raptors gave up on him.

When  we made that trade if you followed the boards most Raptors fans didn't want to give up Deion Wright,Van fleet or Siakam. Everyone expected Ross to go because all his value was shooting and it's too streaky. I just want to point this out. Even in his best year he is the same player. He is not a starter.