The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I think it is pretty crazy to look at the NBA standings.

In the East -- the 7th team has a losing record. You have to go to the 11th spot to find a losing record in the West and Minnesota won't be there for long. 

The Magic are 21-31. That would put them one game ahead of the Grizzlies for 3rd worst in the West. The talent difference between the conferences never ceases to amaze me. 

Congrats to Vuch, he really deserves it.

I like to read other Magic forums. The people on this Sb forum have a much more realistic view of our players.

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2019/1/30/18198438/orlando-magic-nba-nikola-vucevic-aaron-gordon-mo-bamba-jonathan-isaac

I copied this from one of the posts. It's how i feel right now.

It's star driven league

if you rebuilt for years and have zero allstar level players to show for, you failed.
Simple as that.

That doesn’t just include lottery players but free agents and developing later picks. But Magic aside from Vuc have nobody who is even "B+ " level player let alone top tear star. And free agency for teams like Magic just come and go ,where they overpay for garbage because top tear agents don’t have desire to sign.

Hennigan couldn’t even sign Paul Millsap on max/near max contract and was afraid that Ibaka won’t take max from Magic.
WeHam are yet to try to sign anybody big but i feel like results will be the same.

It’s still mindblowing that team didn’t have starting level PG since Nelson and starting level SF since Hedo.

Even if we had kept Oladipo i feel like we would still be bad because of not developing the players around him. And also putting poorly constructed teams together. 

Going back to Henny and continuing through Welt/Ham we keep getting front court players. WTF?

Sabonis,Ibaka,Biyombo,Isaac,Bamba! Lets pretend we only traded Oladipo for Ibaka as bad an idea as that was. 

During the same time frame we acquired Dj,Ross and Simmons for guards/wings along with a few not worth mentioning.

All this while Vucecic was our best player and Gordon, a combo forward was our highest upside player. 

Forget drafting a star we can't even put together a complete  5 man unit, much less a decent rotation of 9 players.

The Spurs,Clippers and this year, the Nets have done this with injuries, stars leaving and bad luck.They are getting more out of G league players and castoffs.

Sorry for the rant.

Also, here is a breakdown on the head coaches. Pretty interesting if you ask me

East

1. Bucks -- 37-13 (Head Coach: Mike Budenholzer -- 5 sesaons)
  2. Raptors -- 37-16 (Head Coach: Nick Nurse -- Rookie)
  3. 76ers -- 34-18 (Head Coach: Brett Brown -- 5 seasons)
  4. Pacers -- 32-19 (Head Coach: Nate McMillan -- 14 seasons)
  5. Celtics -- 32-19 (Head Coach: Brad Stevens -- 5 seasons)
  6. Nets -- 28-25 (Head Coach: Kenny Atkinson -- 2 seasons)
  7. Heat -- 24-25 (Head Coach: Erik Spoelstra -- 10 seasons)
  8. Hornets -- 24-26 (Head Coach: James Borrego -- 2 seasons)
  9. Pistons -- 22-28 (Head Coach: Dwane Casey -- 9 seasons)
  10. Wizards -- 22-29 (Head Coach: Scott Brooks -- 9 seasons)
  11. Magic -- 21-31 (Head Coach: Steve Clifford -- 5 seasons)
  12. Hawks -- 16-34 (Head Coach: Lloyd Pierce -- Rookie)
  13. Bulls -- 12-40 (Head Coach: Jim Boylen -- Rookie)
  14. Cavaliers -- 11-41 (Head Coach: Larry Drew -- 4 seasons)
  15. Knicks -- 10-40 (Head Coach: David Fizdale -- 2 seasons)

West

1. Warriors -- 36-15 (Head Coach: Steve Kerr -- 4 seasons)
  2. Nuggets -- 35-15 (Head Coach: Michael Malone -- 5 seasons)
  3. Thunder -- 32-18 (Head Coach: Billy Donovan -- 3 seasons)
  4. Trailblazers -- 32-20 (Head Coach: Terry Scotts -- 10 seasons)
  5. Spurs -- 31-22 (Head Coach: Gregg Popovich -- 22 seasons)
  6. Rockets -- 29-21 (Head Coach: Mike D'Antoni -- 14 seasons)
  7. Jazz -- 29-23 (Head Coach: Quin Snyder -- 4 seasons)
  8. Clippers -- 28-24 (Head Coach: Doc Rivers -- 19 seasons)
  9. Lakers -- 27-25 (Head Coach: Luke Walton -- 2 seasons)
  10. Kings -- 26-25 (Head Coach: Dave Joerger -- 5 seasons)
  11. Timberwolves -- 25-26 (Head Coach: Ryan Saunders -- Rookie)
  12. Mavericks -- 23-28 (Head Coach: Rick Carlisle -- 16 seasons)
  13. Pelicans -- 23-29 (Head Coach: Alvin Gentry -- 15 seasons)
  14. Grizzlies -- 20-32 (Head Coach: Jerry Bickerstaff -- 2 seasons)
  15. Suns -- 11-42 (Head Coach: Igor Kokoskov -- Rookie)

48 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

star pgs dont often leave their teams and go to a perennial lottery team like us

draft would be our better way, especially if we can grab a semi-doncic

We don't need a star, we just need a quality starting level PG. IMO we don't have another 3 years to draft a PG and hope he becomes NBA starter worthy.

5 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

We don't need a star, we just need a quality starting level PG. IMO we don't have another 3 years to draft a PG and hope he becomes NBA starter worthy.

We need someone at least a competent two way guard. 

1 minute ago, DocHoliday said:

We need someone at least a competent two way guard. 

Could have had Derrick White who is filling in nicely in San Antonio. Too bad the draft flattened out and we traded away our pick in that draft. 

Just now, hootie249 said:

Could have had Derrick White who is filling in nicely in San Antonio. Too bad the draft flattened out and we traded away our pick in that draft. 

It flattened out man. Lol 

2 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

It flattened out man. Lol 

It just makes me sick considering that pick was part of what we recouped from the Ibaka debacle. Or the "Ibackle", as i like to call it.

Hey we also drafted  Jake Layman,  a 6'9" small forward who backs up Maurice Harkless on a playoff team.

The last month he is getting more minutes in Portland then Evan Turner, because of Evan sucks and can't shoot a 3 to save his life.

Layman shoots .520 from the field and .360 from the 3 point line.

LOL!!!!!

You can't make this stuff up, it just writes itself. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, hootie249 said:

It just makes me sick considering that pick was part of what we recouped from the Ibaka debacle. Or the "Ibackle", as i like to call it.

Hey we also drafted  Jake Layman,  a 6'9" small forward who backs up Maurice Harkless on a playoff team.

The last month he is getting more minutes in Portland then Evan Turner, because of Evan sucks and can't shoot a 3 to save his life.

LOL!!!!!

You can't make this stuff up, it just writes itself. 

It LEVELED off. 

5 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

LOL!!!!!

You can't make this stuff up, it just writes itself

I don’t understand peoplet who want Ball/Fultz at all. Neither can shoot and our primary need is a go to scorer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes and we drafted  a sf who shoots 3's in 2016. Can't keep guys like that, have to keep going after the Iwundu's and frazier's of the world because it's all about length.

How many times have we given up more then 60 points in the first half this season?