The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I just went down memory lane by looking through last year’s draft thread. First, we almost traded up to 3 to snag Luka. We offered our pick and a future first. It was widely reported. 

Second, here were my final rankings heading into the draft:

1. Doncic

2. Jackson

3. Bamba 

4. Sexton

5. Carter

http://forum.truebluenation.com/index.php?/topic/254900-2018-nba-draft-thread/&page=505

11 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Right, I think we just held on for too long. I'm pretty sure we kept Fournier and traded Oladipo because in theory Payton + Fournier would be a better fit than Payton + Oladipo

Everybody makes mistakes, though, and I'm not a big fan of dwelling on the past. I'm just really mad that our rookies don't get any responsibility on offense. I still think Mario could have been a really good player, by the way.

I think we kept fournier because they had counting stats that were similar but fournier was having the most efficient season of his career and Fournier started the year with an 11 game stretch where he averaged 21ppg on 48/41/82 shooting and finished the year on a 14 game stretch where he averaged 19 ppg on 50/39/87 shooting splits. 

Fournier presented himself as a 17+ ppg guy that shoots 40% from three but is more of a 16 ppg guy on 36% three point shooting which seems like a small difference but it's dramatic. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

I think we kept fournier because they had counting stats that were similar but fournier was having the most efficient season of his career and Fournier started the year with an 11 game stretch where he averaged 21ppg on 48/41/82 shooting and finished the year on a 14 game stretch where he averaged 19 ppg on 50/39/87 shooting splits. 

Fournier presented himself as a 17+ ppg guy that shoots 40% from three but is more of a 16 ppg guy on 36% three point shooting which seems like a small difference but it's dramatic.  

Yeah, I can't even pretend that at that point Fournier and Oladipo weren't similar talents. Hindsight is 20-20

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Yeah, I can't even pretend that at that point Fournier and Oladipo weren't similar talents. Hindsight is 20-20

I never had any doubts that Oladipo's shot was going to improve. I saw him go scorched earth in the fourth quarter enough times.

I think at the time, i thought he had to go to the basket more and draw fouls to justify his draft position. To live up to what he would be might cost to extend. I will admit, that year, Fournier was already a better finisher. It was just obvious he had a lower ceiling then Oladipo.

48 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Those, plus drafting and sticking with Elfrid Payton, which I think is the worst move of all

Agree, the Elfrid trade set up almost every failure since. Including getting owned by Hinkie.

36 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Payton had a 16 game stretch his rookie year where he averaged 14 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and 39% three point shooting. 

Payton had a 13 game stretch his sophomore year where he averaged 15/7/4 and we went 9-4

Payton had a 42 game stretch his third year where he averaged 14/7/6

There's enough talent there that you had to see it through. He just never impacted winning and never stayed consistent on offense. It's why he'll bounce around some more. He always has these stretches where you see what could be but it's never sustainable.

It's one reason I don't want to draft a point guard. I don't want another 2 years of "well he's young and he played really well last Thursday. He just needs time to figure out how to play" 

Also the main reason i keep bringing up trades. Drafting the point guard of the future means we are essentially rebuilding.

2 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I never had any doubts that Oladipo's shot was going to improve. I saw him go scorched earth in the fourth quarter enough times.

I think at the time, i thought he had to go to the basket more and draw fouls to justify his draft position. To live up to what he would be might cost to extend. I will admit, that year, Fournier was already a better finisher. It was just obvious he had a lower ceiling then Oladipo.

Yeah. Most of us on here considered oladipo to be much better than fournier. There has to be some reason for that. But I think an outside source would look at those numbers and they would suggest Fournier is better

Having people bring up Reece Gaines and Steven Hunter brings me back.

Which players have the Magic drafted that were proven to be above average?

Nick Anderson,Dennis Scott,Shaq,Penny,Miller, Reddick and Gordon. LOL is that it, who am i missing?

Opps Dwight, guess i really do hate him!

2 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Having people bring up Reece Gaines and Steven Hunter brings me back.

Which players have the Magic drafted that were proven to be above average?

Nick Anderson,Dennis Scott,Shaq,Penny,Miller, Reddick and Gordon. LOL is that it, who am i missing?

Opps Dwight, guess i really do hate him!

Jameer unless you're one of those people who thinks Denver should get credit for that

Did this once...the website automatically reloaded and I lost everything...so lets try it again: 

Notable transactions since Dwight:

2012-2013

• July 2nd -- Andrew Nicholson signs multi-year deal
  • July 11th -- Traded Ryan Anderson to New Orleans for Gustavo Ayon
  • July 16th -- Jameer Nelson signs multi-year deal
  • August 8th -- Kyle O'Quinn signs multi-year deal
  • August 10th -- Traded Dwight Howard, Jason Richardson, Earl Clark, Chris Duhon traded to multiple teams for Aaron Afflalo, Mo Harkless, Nikola Vucevic, Josh McRoberts, Al Harrington, conditional 2015 2nd round, least favorable 2014 1st round, conditional 2017 1st round picks. 
  • August 15th -- Ish Smith signs multi-year deal
  • February 21st -- Traded Gustavo, JJ Reddick, Ish Smith to Milwaukee for Tobias Harris, Doron Lamb, and Beno Udrih

2013-2014

• July 7th -- Victor Oladipo signs multi-year deal
  • February 25th -- Dewayne Dedmon signs deal
  • June 26th -- Traded Dario Saric, 2015 2nd round, and conditional 2017 1st round pick to Philadelphia for Elfrid Payton
  • June 27th -- Traded Aaron Afflalo to Denver for Evan Fournier and Devyn Marble

2014-2015

• July 2nd -- Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon sign multi-year deals
  • July 11th -- Ben Gordon signs multi-year deal
  • July 14th -- Channing Frye signs multi-year deal
  • September 29th -- Seth Curry signs deal

2015-2016

• July 14th -- Traded Mo Harkless to Portland for 2020 second round pick. 
  • July 27th -- 2016 2nd round pick traded to Miami for Shabazz Napier
  • January 12th -- 2020 2nd round pick traded to Cleveland for Joe Harris and conditional 2nd round pick. 
  • February 16th -- Traded Tobias Harris to Detroit for Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova
  • February 18th -- Traded Channing Frye to Cleveland for Jared Cunningham and 2020 2nd round pick. 
  • June 23rd -- Traded Ersan Ilyasova, Victor Oladipo, and Domas Sabonis to Oklahoma City for Serge Ibaka.
  • June 29th -- Least favorable 2019 second round pick to Detroit for Jodie Meeks

2016-2017

• July 7th -- Evan Fournier, Stephen Zimmerman, DJ Augustin, Jeff Green, Bizmack Biyombo all sign multi-year deals. Shabazz Napier traded to Portland for Cash. 
  • July 15th -- Traded Devyn Marble, 2020 Cleveland second round pick to Clippers for CJ Wilcox
  • February 14th -- Traded Serge Ibaka to Toronto for Terrance Ross and least favorable 2017 1st round pick. 
  • June 22nd -- Ivan Rabb traded to Memphis for 2019 second round pick. Anzejs Pasecniks traded to Philadelphia for OKC 2020 1st round pick and least favorable 2020 2nd round pick. 

2017-2018

• July 8th -- Shelvin Mack signs multi-year deal
  • July 14th -- Jonathon Simmons signs multi-year deal
  • July 25th -- Wesley Iwundu signs multi-year deal
  • July 27th -- Marreese Speights, Aaron Afflalo, and Khem Birch sign multi-year deals
  • February 8th -- Traded Elfrid Payton to Phoenix for 2018 2nd round pick
  • June 21st -- Traded Jarred Vanderbilt to Denver for Justin Jackson and least favorable 2019 second round pick. 

2018-2019

• July 6th -- Signed Aaron Gordon, Mevlin Frazier Jr. and Isaiah Briscoe to multi-year deals
  • July 7th -- Traded Bizmack Biyombo & least favorable 2019+2020 second round picks to multiple teams for Jerian Grant and Timofey Mozgov
  • July 20th -- Traded Rodney Purvis to Oklahoma City for Dakari Johnson
  • July 23rd -- Traded Dakari Johnson and Tyler Harvey to Memphis for Jarell Martin

Not on the Bamba train myself.  Not seeing sustained effort or any sense of ownership from him.  If he gets beat, doesn’t seem to care, moves on to the next play.  All the good-great players are highly competitive.  Maybe Bamba personality just doesn’t show it much but I’m concerned.  

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

The same could have been said about Fox and most rookie point guards their first year. I’m not betting against the kid, as he’s got the intangibles and an improving long ball. 

He isn’t a floor general at all. His assist numbers are some of the worst I’ve ever seen. He is way to small. I am very comfortable saying he’s a career backup. Cavs fans aren’t even high on him for the most part. 

Fox was an elite athlete with elite size. He dominated Ball head to head. I always loved fox.