The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

My comments have more to do with what I like in Gordon and Isaac as switchable small bigs and the reality that this team will go nowhere without a floor general. I like Bamba’s potential but it’s clear we’ve really neglected our guard positions over the last several drafts. 

Depends on what move we make long term to address the issue. I'm higher on Sexton than most because I think he's got the desire to improve but there's a reason I had Bamba higher even with the need at point guard. He's shown the ability to be an elite rim protector. 

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The biggest setbacks of the entire rebuild in order have been

3) Signing Biyombo 4/68 when we already had Serge and Vuc on the roster and pigeon-holing AG in to exclusively playing the 3 instead of letting Serge play the 5.

2) Oladipo and Sabonis for Serge. We shouldn’t have chosen Evan over Victor, plain and simple.

1) In my opinion the worst move of the entire rebuild - Tobias Harris for Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova. I was in the camp of Harris getting dealt when we traded him, but we literally got nothing in return. No idea how Hennigan didn’t at least get a pick.

Those, plus drafting and sticking with Elfrid Payton, which I think is the worst move of all

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Back to Bamba, what drives me crazy is that we expect him to develop with a terrible backup point guard situation. Boo

Bamba should be getting so many more lob dunks, and he would with a better PG. Not sure how solid this site is, but it shows Bamba only dunking on 10% of his shot attempts. Compare that to WCS who is at 25% of his attempts. Bamba will need a good guard to help him get there offensively. 

http://www.nbaminer.com/player-shot-types/

Just now, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Those, plus drafting and sticking with Elfrid Payton, which I think is the worst move of all

No. Not at all. He didn't work out but that was always a gamble worth betting on. 

Bad picks are like Reece Gaines who you're probably too young to remember but the moment he stepped on the court you knew he had no talent. Just wasn't good at all. Wasn't even a point guard. 

Payton wasn't a bad move. He just never put things together to be worth the starting spot and eventually you have to move on. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No. Not at all. He didn't work out but that was always a gamble worth betting on. 

Bad picks are like Reece Gaines who you're probably too young to remember but the moment he stepped on the court you knew he had no talent. Just wasn't good at all. Wasn't even a point guard. 

Payton wasn't a bad move. He just never put things together to be worth the starting spot and eventually you have to move on. 

Or Steven Hunter

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Depends on what move we make long term to address the issue. I'm higher on Sexton than most because I think he's got the desire to improve but there's a reason I had Bamba higher even with the need at point guard. He's shown the ability to be an elite rim protector. 

I believe I also had Bamba higher but I’m so ready to move forward with our roster.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Right, I think we just held on for too long. I'm pretty sure we kept Fournier and traded Oladipo because in theory Payton + Fournier would be a better fit than Payton + Oladipo

Everybody makes mistakes, though, and I'm not a big fan of dwelling on the past. I'm just really mad that our rookies don't get any responsibility on offense. I still think Mario could have been a really good player, by the way.

Payton had a 16 game stretch his rookie year where he averaged 14 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and 39% three point shooting. 

Payton had a 13 game stretch his sophomore year where he averaged 15/7/4 and we went 9-4

Payton had a 42 game stretch his third year where he averaged 14/7/6

There's enough talent there that you had to see it through. He just never impacted winning and never stayed consistent on offense. It's why he'll bounce around some more. He always has these stretches where you see what could be but it's never sustainable.

It's one reason I don't want to draft a point guard. I don't want another 2 years of "well he's young and he played really well last Thursday. He just needs time to figure out how to play" 

8 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I still think Mario could have been a really good player, by the way.

Definitely. All he needed was the ability to shoot, some defensive awareness, the understanding of bad times to showboat, and even the remotest semblance of being able to handle the ball without committing a turnover, and he would've been right there.  So close.

• Upvote 2