The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Clifford compares Isaac to former Magic forward Rashard Lewis, whom Clifford coached when he was an assistant in Orlando.

Clifford said Isaac shares the same drive to be the best that made Lewis a valuable asset to the Magic. Lewis, who started in each of his 257 games in a Magic uniform from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season, was always looking to improve.

“If Rashard was 11 for 13 [shooting] and you got the film out, he’s going to say I know I have to rebound more. And that, to me, is Jonathan,” said Clifford. “Rashard used to help the team play well by the nature of how he played at both ends of the floor. Jonathan Isaac is the same way. Everything makes sense, and he’s disciplined about what we’re doing on the floor.”

Isaac put together one of his better all-around games last week in Utah as Orlando closed out a six-game road trip. He made two his four 3-point attempts, scored nine points, grabbed five rebounds and blocked a shot in 26 minutes.

During Sunday’s win over the Rockets, Isaac’s line read seven points, six rebounds, four assists and a blocked shot in nearly 29 minutes.

Overall, he’s averaging just under eight points and five rebounds a game this season.

But don’t expect Isaac to be satisfied.

“I see myself as someone who’s a tough critic on myself,” he said. “It’s the good and bad about being a perfectionist. You strive to be perfect and great, but at the same time when you don’t hit that, it’s tough to find your mentality to be that way.”

While his biggest asset comes from his defense, Isaac continues to look for opportunities to score. He’s not afraid to test his perimeter game, and he’s shown he can get to the basket with his length and run the floor to score in transition.

While Isaac’s numbers don’t jump off the stat sheet, Clifford said the second-year forward will continue to make strides with his offensive game.

“The problem for him, in my opinion, in some ways, is that the way we’re subbing right now, which makes sense for our team, doesn’t give him a lot of opportunities to have chances to do a lot offensively,” said Clifford. “He’s not that kind of guy, but it’s something that I have to help him with more.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-isaac-0115-story.html

I know Clifford is trying to make the playoffs, but I'd still like to see him work more on player development with Isaac and Bamba.

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah. 

Unless you're a big Brandon Knight fan. 

As much as that sucks do you think with constraints placed on him he'd make an upgrade at back up 1/2? If we get a pick out of it and have two 1st rounders it seems like it'd be worth it even if we expect almost nothing (which I guess is what we mostly feel about what we are getting from Jerian Grant at this point)

4 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

As much as that sucks do you think with constraints placed on him he'd make an upgrade at back up 1/2? If we get a pick out of it and have two 1st rounders it seems like it'd be worth it even if we expect almost nothing (which I guess is what we mostly feel about what we are getting from Jerian Grant at this point)

He's got another year on his deal so it doesn't really make sense to rehabilitate him.