The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

You really think so? Tell me one young player in our roster that can hit 6 3’s like that.  

He's a very streaky shooter. He may hit 6 treys one night and go 2-14 in the next 3 games. He's a rookie so you really don't know what type of player he's gonna be long term. It would definately be a gamble.

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

If we had to move one of BIG, I’d trade JI for DSJ. Keep Bamba and AG.

JI's the one guy that I wouldn't move. His defensive acumen both individually as well as team defense is very difficult to teach. He's basically playing in his rookie season. Of all of our young players, he's the one that I believe we really need to develop.

You never really want to appraise the value of players when they're in a slump. 

Isaac is currently averaging 7.1 ppg on 35/32/87 with 0.9 blocks and 0.7 steals over the past 14 games

He should be a guy that gets you points on a bit higher efficiency with 3 combined blocks and steals per game. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

You never really want to appraise the value of players when they're in a slump. 

Isaac is currently averaging 7.1 ppg on 35/32/87 with 0.9 blocks and 0.7 steals over the past 14 games

He should be a guy that gets you points on a bit higher efficiency with 3 combined blocks and steals per game. 

Yeah I’m just speaking on terms that Dallas probably would want one of BIG and I rather keep 23 year old AG and Bamba if I had to choose for DSJ.

17 hours ago, DirtDan2012 said:

JI's the one guy that I wouldn't move. His defensive acumen both individually as well as team defense is very difficult to teach. He's basically playing in his rookie season. Of all of our young players, he's the one that I believe we really need to develop.

Yeah, Isaac is a fantastic defender and still on his rookie deal. I'd move Bamba and Gordon before him

12 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Yeah, Isaac is a fantastic defender and still on his rookie deal. I'd move Bamba and Gordon before him

Gordon MP? You sure?

35 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Depends on for who though. AG is only 23 years old. At 26 he might very well be an all star. 

37 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Depends on for who though. AG is only 23 years old. At 26 he might very well be an all star. 

Plus Lowe, Vecenie, and Kevin O'Connor have come out recently saying Gordon's a victim of his circumstances

More from the Ringer on Magic:

Aaron Gordon

Aaron Gordon is an athletic marvel. Remember when he jumped over the Magic mascot while putting the ball underneath his legs in the 2016 dunk contest? I wouldn’t blame you for not watching the Magic, but Gordon makes similarly intoxicating athletic plays during games:

With Gordon’s speed, ballhandling skill, and vertical explosiveness, you’d think the Magic would want to play fast to maximize those abilities. That has not been the case. The Magic play at a snail’s pace under new head coach Steve Clifford, ranking 29th in possession time after turnovers, 28th after made shots, and 15th after rebounds, per Inpredictable. Clifford modernized his offense last season with the Hornets, but he’s back to his old ways in his first year in Orlando. Opportunities for Gordon to show off his bounce have been limited.

The league has noticed. In an informal survey I conducted among sources on players most deserving of a role change, Gordon was the most common answer. Two executives said he could be used as a transition starter like Pascal Siakam is for the Raptors—and it’s clear why as soon as you see him he sprint up the floor or handle the rock. Another said there’s still some modern Blake Griffin in his game that’s still untapped. To unlock these skills, though, the Magic need to start playing faster.

Gordon isn’t quite great enough of a scorer or playmaker to warrant being the man, but even the opportunities he’s getting in a smaller role have been marginalized. Gordon is playing a large chunk of his minutes at small forward with Jonathan Isaac at the 4, and Clifford structured the system to play through center Nikola Vucevic. Gordon’s all-around game allows him to shape-shift into different roles, but his skills are best suited for the small-ball 4, where he can attack mismatches as a playmaker by running pick-and-rolls or set screens and pop or roll. Gordon is a lob threat off the ball, and he’s turned into a solid spot-up shooter, hitting 37.8 percent of his catch-and-shoot 3s since the start of last season. Without a system that maximizes his strengths in the open floor or the half court, it’s possible that Gordon won’t find his true self until he’s on a team that plays fast.

With a four-year, $80 million contract that declines in salary each season, he should be an appealing trade target for teams willing to take a swing on a player who’s shown flashes but hasn’t put it all together. It might be in the Magic’s best interest to someday make a move if the return is strong, but Gordon could make them regret it.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/14/18181720/nba-misused-players-justise-winslow

I agree with a lot of this, besides the final conclusion. (What is with the national media always wanting us to trade away any youngster that shows any ability? Then when we invariably do (Because this team is sometimes not very smart) they go 'hahaha, look at the Magic trading away any player that ever becomes good.') But it is kind of funny that they publish this article after two of his better games this season.